Trumpeter 1/200 HMS Hood + Pontos Upgrade set

Hi Everybody!

Seasons greetings to All!

New Year,New project, first on the Martime Build Forum.

I've been modelling for a good while,but this is My first major warship build,and My first intensive use of photo etch,and I would like to share the step-by step triumphs and tribulations in a full build log to show My attempts and welcome constructive remarks on.

First step is to constuct a base to work on the model,that will be the eventual core of the display case.

Mounting hardware consists of metal pedestals,spacers,bolts and captive nuts (to allow the model to be removed once the decks are fitted):-

Base cut to size from 15mm Contiboard,hull and board drilled,and mounting blocks and nuts fitted and hull bolted to base:-

Deck beams fitted,and decks test fitted-all good! :-

As this will be a fairly lengthy project,I decided to construct a dust-cover 'tent',which will be also used to finalise the size of the final dislay case (cover made over-height as a do not know the finished height of the model):-

That's all for now!

Keep Sticking!       Cheers,  Pete

• Like 14

Hi Everbody!

Thanks for the replies,the workshop was sorted out after 'Planning Permission' was obtained from the 'Management'!, I do R/C Sailboats has a hobby as well,hence the bigger room!

Good to hear that the Hood is a popular subject,I was going to do the 1/350, but I think that 1/200 is the limit for 'Sausage Fingers' here!  

I wish Everybody luck with Their projects!

Just a round-up of what I am applying to the project:-

The base kit:-                http://www.hmshood.com/hoodtoday/models/trumpeter/trumpeter200.htm

The Pontos Set:-            http://pontosmodel.com/html/23009f1.html

Funnel correction set:-    https://www.scalewarship.com/

Reference:-                    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Battlecruiser-Hood-Anatomy-Ship/dp/085177900X

http://www.hmshood.com/

+  Internet searches

Paint:-                         Mainly Tamiya Acrylics  +  Windsor & Newton Oil Paint washes

Onward!!

A little cleaning up of the hull, this is the worst of it:-

Trumpeter have applied Degaussing cable detail to the hull:-

This was removed by scraping with the edge of a #11 blade, and in tight places with a Micromark chisel:-

This will be replaced by photoetch when the other work on the hull is finished:-

The rear hawsepipe was missing, so this was made using a drill and the end of a round needle file:-

Kit props on the left,compared to the Pontos ones, I think I'll go with the kit ones painted up, as they seem more refined than the brass ones :confused: :-

Fairings and 'A' frames glued on using propshafts to line-up while drying, plus rudder clamped in place and glued:-

I considered sanding down the hull plating, but decided it was not too pronounced,and I'm leaving the portholes as they are, just adding the PE rigoles and filling the holes with a dark oil wash to lessen the effect of depth.

More Soon!

Keep Sticking!            Cheers,  Pete

Edited by morty_3333
  • Like 5

Hi Morty, nice start. Good choice on the Pontos set, it goes a long way in correcting most of the kits issues. Check out the builds on the model warships website, under picture post/work in progress. Also there is the HMS Hood Association website. Eduard also do a bunch of PE sets for 

thekit too. Regards, Pete in RI.

Almost bought this kit at Telford, I walked past it many times, stopped and pondered but in the end, decided that 1:200 was just too big.

Have been beating myself with a branch of a tree (see Basil Fawlty) ever since so will be watching your build, to make up for my error :D:D

• Like 1

On 01/01/2018 at 3:28 PM, Kris B said:

Do to think it is just upscale of 1/350? Degaussing cable could be done better then what is on the kit. Looks like lots of work to do. 

It isn't - I have both.

It's far better engineered than the 1/350 kit and the parts make up is totally differerent. Curiously they introduced a new error into the 1/200 - the widely known undersize aft funnel.

We've sold more Pontos sets for this kit than all others combined and happily almost all our customerd asked for 2 of the frets for the correct size forward funnel so they had PE parts to cut and expand the aft funnel. :)

Hi Guys!

Thanks for the responses to My build, off work now (I work a 4 on-4 off shift pattern so postings will come in measured spurts.....)will get back on the bench tomorrow and get an update on for monday.

Just going  to sharpen up My Optivisor...... photo-etch beckons!

I'll be doing some glue tests on some spare PE, got some CA gel  and some Gator Grip thin,not tried either before and thinking of trying to source some solder paint,anybody got experience with this?

Keep Sticking!                 Cheers,   Pete

• Like 1

On 12/29/2017 at 11:49 AM, Kris B said:

I fill jealous for your workshop. My is portable on the kitchen table. Enjoy build. 

+1 on the workshop. I have to use the kitchen table or a cold garage.

Like the way this is going so looking forward to more posts.

Andy.

Hi Everybody!

Got a bit done over the weekend:-

Making a start, photetching tools:-

Bit of stability required! :-

Trying this out for the first time :-

Etch held in place for fitting using 1mm strips of Tamiya tape:-

Process for fixing P.E. :-

Glue fed under part with small brush :-

Excess cleaned away using damp brush and paper towel and strips of tape used to hold in place while setting :-

Trying this for handling small parts and Etch-Mate for bending :-

Back to work tomorrow :tired: , but hoping to find time during the week to prime the hull up so I can get on with painting on My next 4-off! :yahoo:

All the best!

Keep Sticking!        Cheers,  Pete

• Like 7

Hi Kris!

Yes, I like this glue because it gives You time to position the part and clean up with water,I think You just need to pick where You use it, OK for light duties!

The P.E. cutting plate and hold-downs are by Small Shop, in this set You get both sizes of hold-down and two pieces of plexiglas sheeting:-

https://thesmallshop.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4

Finding it great to use!

Keep Sticking!      

Cheers, Pete

Hi Everybody!

Sorry about the delay in posts,and thanks to all who are taking an interest in My build!

Progress since the last episode:-

There is some form of chute near the port bow, this was folded up from 2 parts and glued to a piece of styrene strip to locate it cleanly:-

Possibly a bit of over-engineering from Trumpeter, the anchors are each assembled from 4 seperate pieces, but do make a nicely detailed item:-

Anchors fitted in place, note cardboard gaurds to protect etched DG cables whilst handling for spraying (Note: there are backing panels and gussets behind these raised sections, but they cannot be fitted until after the deck is fitted):-

Hull primed - Ive used white primer so I can see where I'm going with the grey paint easier,plus I tend to shade a bit by allowing the lighter background to 'tint' the topcoat (If that makes sense.....:wink:):-

Tamiya XF85 Tyre black sprayed in the general area of the boot topping, and a (very!) quick and dirty pre-shade in all the nooks and crannies and important little places!!:-

That's all for today,hope to get the Boot topping masked and get the grey on tomorrow, just having problems finding out the width (Depth?) of the boot topping, all My references show a lot of variety, can anybody shed any light on the subject?

More soon!

Keep Sticking!    Cheers,  Pete

• Like 3

Hi Graham!

2 answers........

1- It's only clear 'cause I've shoved all the crap to one end (out of shot) to fit the hull on the bench to paint.

2- See above!!!!!!:lol:

We must be about the same vintage-from a fellow Bleep and Booster fan!!!:clap:

Cheers,   Pete

• Like 1

Hi Everybody!

More Progress, 'Colourin' in'! (Trying not to go over the lines............) :-

Not sure how much paint I'll need,so I'm cross-mixing 8 x pots of XF66 together to ensure colour standard:-

Decided on a 6mm deep Boot-Topping, arrived at by much scientific calculation (looks about right!:wink:), tape applied and burnished down, then given a coat of clear to prevent colour creep:-

Paint mixed to My usual ratio for the airbrush,sprayed on and then masking applied from the centre of the boot-topping masking up...downwards!!:D:-

New day, great modelling weather!:-

Arrived at a recipie for the anti-fouling paint, Tamiya Hull Red (XF9) looked a bit too brown to Me, so I modified it thus:-

..and sprayed away!:-

Tape removed and slight touch-ins (not many fortunately!) done with brush,then put aside for tomorrow, when I will give the whole hull a coat of satin varnish ready for filters and local washes:-

More soon!

Keep Sticking!      Cheers,   Pete

• Like 8