British 6pdr Anti-Tank Gun and Loyd Carrier +++COMPLETED+++

BIG X

Oh my gosh – where is the Christmas break going – I’ve ‘wasted’ six days already, without so much as a whiff of the glue or a drop of paint on my clothes.  So it’s time to rectify the situation.  I have had a rummage in the cupboard…

loyd005.jpg

…all the ‘big stuff’ has gone in the loft – out of sight is out of mind as they say.

So I’m just left with the 1/72 stuff that magically seems to keep appearing over the last 2 or 3 months.  I started with a Spitfire and before that was finished I had started a halftrack and then a Sherman.  The last 2 came from the PLASTIC SOLDIER COMPANY and though they are simplified ‘wargamer’ kits – they are great fun.

loyd005a.jpg

With this in mind I have decided to give this a go – PSC 1/72 British 6pdr Anti-Tank Gun and Loyd Carrier Tow.

loyd006.jpg

Before pulling the box off the shelf I had never heard of the Loyd Carrier and wondered if it should in fact have 2 L’s.  But more worryingly I have never attempted a piece of artillery.  But hey – nothing ventured – nothing gained.  You will be pleased to hear that I have spent the day on GOOGLE reading up and looking at loads of pictures – but I’ll still have a few questions I’m sure.

As with all PSC kits you get more than one of each kit in the box – on this occasion it’s 2 of each.  But also as usual there are no decals and instructions / colour call outs are ‘sparse’ – but you do get plenty of crew.

loyd008.jpg

loyd007.jpg

loyd009.jpg

loyd010.jpg

I’ve put one set back in the box – leaving me with one carrier…

loyd011.jpg

…and one gun – here is the view from both sides…

loyd012.jpg

…as I’ve just realised there is no schematic that shows how the gun goes together.

There also appears to be a ‘choice of barrels’…

loyd013.jpg

…and a choice of wheels…

loyd014.jpg

At the risk of being ‘too technical’ the box lid shows the barrel with the ‘holey’ bit on the front and the wheels that stick out a bit more in the middle…

What was I saying about not too many questions???

Any ideas anyone???

• Like 6

2 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I think the clue is that this kit can be built as a Brit 6 pdr or a US 57mm At gun, so different bit to reflect the different sources of production. Sorry, no idea which is correct for which.

Steve.

Ahh yes - US M1 AT Gun - I see it now on the bottom of the gun instruction page.  I shall google it now...

• Like 1

...here we go - the US one has the slightly more 'boring' gun barrel...

M1-57mm-Anti-tank-front.jpg

...although this one does seem to have a torch attached.  Also it seems to have the less recessed wheels.

• Like 1

RIGHT - he said with a sense of purpose - time to crack on.  The barrel needs hollowing out...

loyd015.jpg

...and I  think I have figured out where the first piece goes...

loyd016.jpg

I'm guessing this is the gun sight - I may need to hollow out that control wheel cone thing a little - though you'll never see it as it looks like it goes at the bottom - but I'll know...

loyd017.jpg

• Like 3

You do seem to like a challenge... take one gaming miniature that's not meant to be wholly accurate, and then make it a lot more accurate. :yes:

Now quit wasting time and get on with it! :whip:

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Mike said:

You do seem to like a challenge... take one gaming miniature that's not meant to be wholly accurate, and then make it a lot more accurate. :yes:

Now quit wasting time and get on with it! :whip:

OK OK - message received and understood :lol:

Not the 'sharpest of shots' - if you'll pardon the pun - but the barrel is now hollowed out...

loyd020.jpg

...and a bit of hollowing on that turny wheely thing...

loyd021.jpg 

...don't worry they look acceptable when not blown up 1000 times :mental:

OK - the first 2 bits are joined and the fit is so good it doesn't need glue.

loyd022.jpg

• Like 5

Sweet!! 

I have this in the stash so looking forward to seeing how you get on with it.

Read a couple of reviews that liked it and theres a detailed build on here if the photos survived.

All the best.

Ben (off to finally open his presents).

• Like 1

next up - that hole in the armoured shield...

loyd024.jpg

loyd023.jpg

...time for some glue I think - there isn't much in the way of 'mating points between the gun and the shield but a dab in these 2 positions should do it.  I have no idea what the things on the right are though???  any ideas???

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, badger said:

Sweet!! 

I have this in the stash so looking forward to seeing how you get on with it.

Read a couple of reviews that liked it and theres a detailed build on here if the photos survived.

All the best.

Ben (off to finally open his presents).

Hey Ben - good to have you back - looks like you survived the festive break - hope Santa brought you some nice goodies.

The armour shield looks a little 'thick' - but guess what - I just measured it and in 'real life' it would be 36mm thick so I reckon thats pretty accurate after all...

loyd025.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In front of the armour shield is ANOTHER shield and this is linked to the 3 holes for the legs and the gun.  Having played around it can go either way up - but only one way is right.  I have drilled the 3 holes slightly and the gun and legs 'test fit' well in either direction.  The key though is a couple of lugs which go into a couple of dimples and these only go one way.  A set of instructions PSC would really help...

loyd026.jpg

...again a push fit was all that's required - I could get used to this...

loyd027.jpg

loyd028.jpg

famous last words - it's going quite smoothly - I can even see where the first shield is going to glue onto this shield - where those three rectangles are.

Time to get the legs in place - back shortly...

• Like 4

I'm in a state of conflict now...

...A Bridge Too Far is starting on the telly :D

...but I'm having too much fun with this - can I 'multi-task'???

Anyway a quick update - these seams are supposed to be here - but I just managed to snap one of the legs :doh: Well it wouldn't be a BIG X build if something didn't go wrong.

loyd029.jpg

...in case someone doesn't believe me - here is the evidence that I know how to use google...

loyd030.jpg 

...and...

loyd031.jpg

Now guess  what - the legs fit perfectly without glue too - open...

loyd032.jpg

...and closed for transit...

loyd033.jpg

I've just realised I  don't need to glue the gun in - as it fits snuggly without.

However - this towing eye is causing me a puzzle...

loyd034.jpg

...and here is the 'real thing'...

loyd036.jpg

but I can't see anything it actually fixes to???

loyd035.jpg

again - any ideas???

I am of a mind to sand a small notch out of one of the legs and smooth down the shaft of the towing eye a little then just lay it on with a blob of glue - here perhaps...

loyd037.jpg

any votes of confidence???

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, czechnavy said:

In the photo of the back of the shield are the two 'three-cupped' lines moulded on the right hand side that you have labelled ??? actually designed to hold three ready-use rounds?

ooh - interesting and makes a lot of sense too...

The kit comes with ammo - but again no instructions to go off...

loyd038.jpg

3 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Cracking project, love what you are doing here (I'll be doing it myself times many, many guns one day).  B)

This may prove helpful:  http://www.onthewaymodels.com/reviews/PSC/AlMagnus_PSC_WW2G20004_review.htm

WOW!!!!!!

That is a fantastic link - thanks a million Sgt :D

It deserves a proper read - maybe after the movie - Michael Caine has just been waved off by Edward Fox ;)

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Michael Caine has just been waved off by Edward Fox ;)

'Think you can manage it?'

'I have nothing else planned for this afternoon'

Great line from a great film :D

Regards 

Steve 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, fatfingers said:

'Think you can manage it?'

'I have nothing else planned for this afternoon'

Great line from a great film :D

Regards 

Steve 

I've always loved this film - but I'm looking at it from a completely new angle this time - as a novice AFV modeller :D

They are just coming up to the bit where Elliot Gould has the nerve to refer to the best pontoons in the world as Bailey Carp - or something very similar ;)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, czechnavy said:

In the photo of the back of the shield are the two 'three-cupped' lines moulded on the right hand side that you have labelled ??? actually designed to hold three ready-use rounds?

Cheers again czech - just found this...

loyd039.jpg

...ammo holder - just as you said :D

wondering what the little box on the left is though - maybe somewhere to keep your sunglasses :lol:

• Like 1