Sgt.Squarehead's 'Shermanicus Genericus'

Sgt.Squarehead

Starting to feel like I'm getting somehere:

OneOnTrack

Sadly the idler wheels wound up a touch too far outboard and the roadwheels lack of symmetry shows up, so the track runs are far from perfect, but they should pass muster at a glance.  :rolleyes:

• Like 5

Yup, a great deal of faffing for no significant gain. That you can't see them is in no way a bad thing TBH.....They took a few knocks getting the tracks in place.  :unsure:

The two kits with stamped running gear are now both on their tracks:

TwoDown

Identical kit, identical parts, identical technique, yet on this one the tracks were three links too long!  :rolleyes:

Incidentally, here's my top tip for joining Heller tracks, lose the silly bloody tabs:

TrackJoinTweak

Be sure to preserve the end connectors on each side.  :nerd:

If you find that you do need to shorten the track, do it at the other end trimming it down to match (full pad, no end connectors) and ensure that you remove the remnants of the guide teeth or they will interfere with the join (guess how I know about this last bit).  :wall:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This last one fought me tooth & nail, the first track went fine but it was four links too long.....The next one broke!  :doh:

TheFighter

I managed to get it fixed, but it's a bit ugly TBH.....I've used trickery to conceal it from the casual glance (it's visible in the photo), but it won't stand up to serious scrutiny.  :confused:

It's entirely possble I will be ordering another three Heller M4A2s just so I can replace this track (& build some Emchas).....At least that's the excuse I'll be using when the credit card bill turns up.  :whistle: 

• Like 7

That's only about the third or fourth track I've broken in the nearly twenty years since I restarted modelling.  The break was in a really inconvenient place too, I have a feeling I may have damaged the track somehow as it broke quite unexpectedly, all a bit irritating really.....I think I can live with it but I'll definitely be more careful with them in future.  :wall:

Apart from this one (probably self-inflicted) issue the Heller tracks are dead good, possibly better than Trumpeter's (my previous favourite band type tracks for the Sherman), very nicely detailed and easy to fix with CA.....They would probably be even easier to work with on less fragile running gear like Heller's own.  ;)

• Like 1

I keep finding new fiddly little things to make that the kits really should already have.....I've just added a vague representation of fishtail exhausts to all three, will almost certainly have to add a towing hitch to at least one model, horns to two of them, the list just keeps growing and I haven't even looked at the turrets yet.  :unsure:

Nice going Sarge on your builds and your amount of broken tracks, I've lost count of tracks I've either broke or melted along the years.

• Thanks 1

I suspect you've completed a lot more builds than me though fella!  ;)

Here's where I'm at:

TurretTime

While my M4A1s make no concession to turret cheek armour, the UM M4A4 offers a full set of applique in etched brass.....While I'm not sure of their utility as actual parts (Zey're waffer theen!  :P ), they do make nice templates!  B)

PS - Can you see my fishtails? :fish:

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Hi Sarge

Looking good with these after some painful progress.

Have you ever come across shaddock.fr - offers a Sherman minutiae site which I spent an hour reading earlier (I should have been marking!)?

All the best

Ben

• Thanks 1

Cheers guys!  :)

17 minutes ago, badger said:

Have you ever come across shaddock.fr - offers a Sherman minutiae site which I spent an hour reading earlier (I should have been marking!)?

Yup, that's an excellent site.  

Teacher's work is never done (my mum was one).  :coolio:

10 minutes ago, wimbledon99 said:

Don’t know how you manage doing three :huh: 

Fairly badly as a rule!  :mental:

I'm only building them to a certain standard, not the sort of attention to detail you guys go to.....So long as they look reasonably Shermany at arm's length they'll serve their purpose. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Cheers guys!  :)

Yup, that's an excellent site.  

Teacher's work is never done (my mum was one).  :coolio:

I found it so useful I printed most of it off and have filed it for future builds reference (much prefer a book / paper to a screen!!)

Luckily I teach at a college, so don't have quite the amount of marking I would if I worked at a school. 

I was hoping to join the GB but things have been a little hectic the last few weeks. On half term after next week so will try and find some time as have been researching a T34 Calliope on a M4 chassis (heller kit with italeri launcher).

As luck would have it braillestrike decals do a sheet for the exact tank I wanted to model (and only had one in stock so that got bought straight away!).

All the best 

Ben

• Like 1

Same here, but I'm already junking the Italeri M4A1 kit for the track and the ESCI M4A3 already has a towing hitch of its own (at least I think it does, it better have).  :nerd:

PS - Your tip on the Dragon wading Shermans has sorted me out.....Dragon may be wrong, they often are, but I'll cross that bridge if & when I come to it.  ;)

PPS - Discovered more issues on the model that has the snapped track, the track has slipped on the sprocket on both sides for some reason.  There's no way I can fix it, especially with a busted track, so (as I inevitably seem to find myself saying at some point in each and every build thread).....It is what it is.  :mellow:

• Like 1

Hi Sarge. Despite the issues with track it's good to see you're making progress! Looks like one of the production lines back in the day! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Thanks 1