Sgt.Squarehead's 'Shermanicus Genericus'

Sgt.Squarehead

Basic plan here is a wargaming platoon, cunningly weathered and festooned with stowage in such a way that you can't quite make out the unit markings, I'm thinking Unimodel M4A1s, upgraded with Heller and other spares, much as I described in the chat thread.....IIRC I have four or possibly five of them in the stash, including one with an 'Aunt-Jemima' mine-roller.  :nerd:

s-l500.jpgs-l1600.jpg

I almost certainly won't use the mine-roller (crude bloody thing), but I will very likely make use of the dozer from this kit:

s-l500.jpg

• Like 8

I may have an issue.....For some reason IMGUR won't let me upload images, I'm on the case in their forum, but their responses to the issue so far have been less than entirely helpful from what I can see.  :wall: 

Can any of you guys suggest yet another free image hosting site?  :unsure:

Cheers fellas.....I'm just checking my roadwheels, to ensure I have the right sort for my builds and also to ensure that  I don't bugger up any of my (rather better) donor kits by nicking them.  As I said earlier IIRC the wheels in the kits (possibly excepting the Aunt-Jemima) are probably useless.  :confused:

On 30/12/2017 at 7:45 PM, beefy66 said:

looks like good choices there Sarge  :yes:

Not entirely fella, I've got both Dragon & Heller here (by the dozen), but for some reason.....  :mental:

The poor UM kits take bit of a bashing on various sites, but whenever I see them built up they actually look pretty good, the track issue isn't that noticeable and the shape and proportions seem pretty good to me.....Plus I've already paid for 'em and really I need the shelf-space, so UM it shall be.....If they don't drive me gibbling mad, I can always look at some Dragon or Heller options later.

• Like 2

Good gracious talking about the wheels I've just had to stall my build to research sherman wheels, theres three different styles in the calliope kit I'm doing, two different types of drive wheel and two different types of the rear wheels:huh:.. , i haven't seen these 1/72 kits built that your doing, i'll watch with interest, i like the look of the mine  exploder thats my fave of the trio

Glynn 

Having done my research and pulled my spares I finally got the kits themselves off the shelves and made a slightly irritating discovery, I've only got three of 'em, including the 'Aunt-Jemima'.  This means I have to build all three of them as straight M4A1s just to complete my platoon (and it's still a bit iffy for reasons that will become apparent later), so the dozer will have to be be assigned to an M4 platoon and the Aunt-Jemima (if I ever bother with it) fitted to an M4A3.  To liven things up a bit I'll be attempting to fit two of the models with 'Cullins-Cutters' probably the etch ones from Dragon's M4A1 and I will be going benny-mental with the stowage!  :winkgrin:

However this still leaves me with a small dillemma.....One that will probably have to be sorted elsewhere.  :ninja:

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Quick comparison shot of the UM (livid green) and Heller (gris clair) running gear.....Both kits provide both spoked and stamped roadwheels, but the UM spoked wheels are no use as they have six spokes (that's one too many):

RunningGearComparison

Clearly the detail on the Heller parts is much better so that's (almost certainly) what I'll be using (assuming they will fit the UM bogeys), haven't decided exactly which combination I'll go for, but as these are generic builds, it really doesn't matter too much at all.

My Tamiya Extra-Thin has evaporated, thus I'll be using Limonene until the postie can bring supplies.....So no guarantees that anything I stick tonight, will remain stuck tomorrow!  :winkgrin:

PS - Possibly worth noting this little part for benefit of other UM builders:

ReturnSkidJig

Cut it off the sprue, clean it up and glue it to a flat section of platic card.....Presto, a jig for your track return-skids:

JigAndEtch

I know it looks a bit crap, but I can vouch for it's utility, I used one with the DTM etch parts on the Airfix M4A2 I posted in the chat thread.  B)

BTW - The part to the left of the return-skid jig in the sprue-shot is a second jig, this one for your headlight-guards (there's a third for the tail-light guards, somewhere on the sprues too).  :nerd:

• Like 2

😳 - Had to look up Limonene ... i had never heard of it. Does it work well ? If so how does on procure it as im not very satisfied with Tamiya extra thin. I have a 3 glue system for most builds and i only use Tamiya for certain applications. I find it can be a bit brittle and i sometimes have to re-glue things or re fill where its popped the join. 

Limonene is another Tamiya product, it works fine on some things and does SFA to others.....I'll find out where I stand on that front when I go to bend up my first track-return skid.  :winkgrin:

Slowly pinning down exactly what I'm building (mostly notes to self here):

#1 - M4A1 Mid-Late (?), Plain Sprocket, Stamped Roadwheels, Stamped Idler, Wide Mantlet - Based on this vehicle:

95313cfa5b491ad8190d6e4f7eb42c80.jpg

Sorry about the pants image, I'm working from a rather bigger one, but I can't copy it.

#2 - M4A1 Early-Mid (?), Fancy Sprocket, Stamped Roadwheels, Spoked Idler (?), Narrow Mantlet (?) - Based on this vehicle (that I found while looking for an online image of the last one):

ba93b189c55de9a0ea89aa72ec79b5d6.jpg

• Thanks 1

Starting to have my suspicions about #2, those all look like civvies to me, the tank has no radio and I think I can see a lifting ring on the strangely coloured gun barrel.....Sherman experten, your advice would be very welcome!  :pray:

8 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Limonene is another Tamiya product, it works fine on some things and does SFA to others.....I'll find out where I stand on that front when I go to bend up my first track-return skid.  :winkgrin:

Slowly pinning down exactly what I'm building (mostly notes to self here):

#1 - M4A1 Mid-Late (?), Plain Sprocket, Stamped Roadwheels, Stamped Idler, Wide Mantlet - Based on this vehicle:

95313cfa5b491ad8190d6e4f7eb42c80.jpg

Sorry about the pants image, I'm working from a rather bigger one, but I can't copy it.

#2 - M4A1 Early-Mid (?), Fancy Sprocket, Stamped Roadwheels, Spoked Idler (?), Narrow Mantlet (?) - Based on this vehicle (that I found while looking for an online image of the last one):

ba93b189c55de9a0ea89aa72ec79b5d6.jpg

Id say that this a M4A1 early that has been upgraded with the added side armour on the hull with cheek armour on the right side of the turret. Obviusly being used for training due to the lack of tools, radio and external fittings. Good photo of the Dragon Wagon. The guys look civillain so maybe testing the M26. 

• Like 2

Shame about the spokes on the road wheels, good luck with the etch for the skids. There is a chap in a white coat/overall, he must be in charge?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Starting to have my suspicions about #2, those all look like civvies to me, the tank has no radio and I think I can see a lifting ring on the strangely coloured gun barrel.....Sherman experten, your advice would be very welcome!  :pray:

It could be a range target being placed in the impact area , just a thought :huh:

• Like 2

@Sgt.Squarehead ask and I shall see what I can do, though I'm by no means an expert on the M4 series, you have been warned.

#1 I'd say M4A1 mid production small hatch (no Direct Vision ports in the hull), early? cast transmission cover, M34A1 (wide) mantlet, applique up armour package (fitted as a set, over the hull ammo racks and gunners cheek area IIRC), pressed/stamped road wheels and idler, plain sprocket.

#2 With regards the upper hull and turret, I'd say the same as above, possible the M34 narrow mantlet, the driver/co driver bulges look too rounded at the front to me for it to be a DV hull, running gear seems to be what you said. With regards the "lifting hook" on the gun barrel, note how the bright reflection on the top of the barrel is unbroken and smooth. A lifting hook would have disturbed the reflection and caused a shadow. My guess is that it's just a long blade of grass, side of a rock or something similar catching the sun in an unfortunate manner.

• Like 1

And then there were.....Errrr, five!  :mental:

Had to go to Hannants to get the extras (I reckon they've been reading my posts elsewhere because they turned up lightning fast and beautifully packed.....Fair play to 'em!  :thumbsup: ), but they are both newer tool versions with the corrected five spoked roadwheels (I've got another set spare from the UM M4A4 I bought for my original planned subject for this GB).  B)

Now that I've got all the UM bits I need it's time to start sticking them together, in the true spirit of Sherman assembly I will be going for a full-on production line (with jigs & everything)!  :D

PS - It's just occured to me that I almost certainly have enough spares lying around to build a complete M4A1(76)W (maybe even two), which would be a really useful addition to my post Cobra M4/M4A1 force.....Hmmmm!  :hmmm:

• Like 2

Never stopped, to summarise.....I'm forever filing roadwheels..... :sleep_1:

Edit - Two Shermansworth of bogey parts are cleaned up (these will have stamped wheels), I'll assemble them then it's on to two more Shermansworth of spoked wheels.....The excitement never ends!  ;)

• Like 1