Academy 1/72 B-29 "Celestial Queen"

SaminCam

• 2 weeks later...

Not had much time for modelling the last few weeks but made a bit of progress this weekend. Fuselage halves are joined and I've had a first pass at filling and priming. I also put the bomb bay doors on and taped around them to protect the insides. The last photo shows some tests I've done with two shades of Alclad and two different primers. The surface finish on the inside of the wing isn't great and I know I have to make a big effort with the model to get a flawless finish to get the best out of Alclad. The black gloss base and polished Al is shiniest but looks a bit too dark to my eye. There's a big contrast between this and the grey base with polished Al and I think varying panels between these two shades won't be subtle enough. I might try a lighter coat of the black, maybe mottled a little, to see if I can get a tone I like more. The White Al over black is more matt and should look ok for the centre wing spar and central fuselage section. I've not had much experience with Alclad so will do some more tests before taking plunge. Any thoughts and experience, especially with polished Al, greatly welcomed!

41480646151_34a67139ec_z.jpg

26609347567_13f4e64360_z.jpg

40767203564_67089fbfe7_z.jpg

• Like 5

Another test with the Polished Aluminium:

39725061260_7730e04d55_z.jpg

The middle grey is primer, the lighter grey is tamiya gloss white misted on and then coated normally, and the darker greys are black gloss primer progressively built up. I think this shows the way ahead as I am happier with the contrast between the Polished Al shades. I'll mask off panels and lay down various greys before coating with Aclad. Next up I'm working on the PE for the engines and then I can get the wings on! 

• Like 5

Made some progress with the wings. I've added PE to the engines plus some plastic card and solder wire in the wheel well to make it look more interesting. The flap was a bit awkward; there's nothing supporting it from behind and the joins don't sit flush with the edges of the wings so there is nothing for it to glue to. The solution I came up with is to use little bits of plastic card to pack the gap and give something to glue to. These then serve to represent the formers in the wing as well :yes:

41538329852_6a8eed6485_z.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Steady progress being made though not much to see at the moment. Lots of filling, primer, sanding, filling, primer, sanding action and a bit of light relief with wheel well painting. I've decided to do most of the painting with the wings and body separate. It seems like it'll be really cumbersome to spray with the wings on and I don't have a huge working area. I've started with the central wing section and the photo shows the masked wings and start of masking on the fuselage. For this I'm laying down Alclad black gloss primer, polished up with 12000 grit micromesh and sprayed with Alclad White Aluminium. It's a better NMF finish than I've managed before but still not quite perfect. Am I right in thinking the key to success is patience, and lots of it, in sanding and polishing the undercoat? Any other tips? Thanks!

40985613455_109a6ca373_z.jpg

• Like 5

Hello Sam,

Really great work, especially the internals !!

I'll follow on, I also use the Alclad but still I'm trying things...

I used differents shade on a base of Aluminium, then I use some post-it for some variations !

Saying that, I have a F-94C waiting in the to be painted queue !

Whatever, you did great, Congrats !

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

Excellent progress! The central spar painting looks beautiful!

On 04/05/2018 at 13:26, SaminCam said:

I've decided to do most of the painting with the wings and body separate.

Is the wing-to-fuselage fit good enough? Won't you have problems later when glueing the wings to the fuselage after painting?

Cheers

Jaime

50 minutes ago, jrlx said:

Excellent progress! The central spar painting looks beautiful!

Is the wing-to-fuselage fit good enough? Won't you have problems later when glueing the wings to the fuselage after painting?

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks Jaime. The wing fuselage fit is pretty good, I'm hoping it won't need much (any?) filling and then ill mask off surrounding area and touch up paint work as necessary. I've also got maskol protecting the bare plastic surfaces which will get glued so hopefully will get a good join. I might regret all of this later and I'm conscious that other, much more experienced modellers, normally glue wings and fuselage together before painting. It just seems such a lot easier to handle the airbrushing process on this big old bird in parts than with it all together. We'll see!

2 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Sam,

Really great work, especially the internals !!

I'll follow on, I also use the Alclad but still I'm trying things...

I used differents shade on a base of Aluminium, then I use some post-it for some variations !

Saying that, I have a F-94C waiting in the to be painted queue !

Whatever, you did great, Congrats !

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

Thanks! Most of the rest will be alclad polished aluminium  with alclad aluminium for control surfaces,  engine cowlings, etc.  I'm going to try and get some subtle variations in tone by applying different shades of grey and black primer as a base coat. Fingers crossed it will come up nice and shiny!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SaminCam said:

Thanks Jaime. The wing fuselage fit is pretty good, I'm hoping it won't need much (any?) filling and then ill mask off surrounding area and touch up paint work as necessary. I've also got maskol protecting the bare plastic surfaces which will get glued so hopefully will get a good join. I might regret all of this later and I'm conscious that other, much more experienced modellers, normally glue wings and fuselage together before painting. It just seems such a lot easier to handle the airbrushing process on this big old bird in parts than with it all together. We'll see!

I'll be very interested in seeing how it turns out. As I said, I'll be building this same kit in the future and will be facing the same space limitations as yours.

Good luck!

Jaime

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm, things not going that smoothly... I've been learning how to Alclad; the pictures below are the second attempt with the Polished Aluminium. The first attempt I tried to have some different shades of undercoat (greys and blacks) but it looked a mess as the undercoat finish wasn't good enough. As you can see with attempt two I've gone for a gloss black finish and have tried to really polish it up. I've used varying grades of micromesh and then a polishing compound to get a "glassy" gloss black finish. The polished Al then went down quite well and looks ok. There's a few problems though. The white aluminium sprayed on previously has been messed up by the tape - I don't know if this is because I masked too soon after spraying the Al (about a day), if it has been on too long (around a week), or a combination of both. The second problem is that the pristine gloss finish didn't quite reach to the edge of the panels adjacent to the masked region, the masking stopped me polishing there, and this also shows through in the final finish. Anyway I'm not happy with it so probably going to get the black gloss out again and start from scratch... One thing that did go ok is the extra panel lines I scribed (not done this before) and overall I'm trying to be philosophical about it all.  I'm starting to get the hang of nmf and learning lessons along the way (don't do things in a stupid order, wear gloves to avoid fingerprints(!), dust is the enemy, etc). Hopefully third time lucky! Any tips much appreciated!

40426726070_c13f9548fb_z.jpg

41333074775_c69d25fce4_z.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, rob Lyttle said:

Crikey, Sam, bit of a steep learning curve you're on here.

I admire your tenacity! It may be a challenge but as long as you're enjoying" the ride, then carry on.

It's a great project.

Thanks Rob, still definitely enjoying it and learning things along the way but also looking forward to getting the paint job sorted. I only get a few hours a week at the work bench (often a Sunday morning) so it's probably going to take all year,  hopefully it'll be worth it! Something a bit smaller next i think...

• Like 2

Excellent progress, Sam! From this end of the internet the NMF looks really good. I know well how it's like to have limited time for modelling but I also try to learn new tricks with every build, so I think your effort learning and perfecting your NMF technique is worth it. I'm very interested in learning from your experience, so please keep going and tell us all the details.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, jrlx said:

Excellent progress, Sam! From this end of the internet the NMF looks really good. I know well how it's like to have limited time for modelling but I also try to learn new tricks with every build, so I think your effort learning and perfecting your NMF technique is worth it. I'm very interested in learning from your experience, so please keep going and tell us all the details.

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks Jaime! I'll do my best, glad it is interesting and useful. Cheers, Sam

• Thanks 1

Just picked up on this thread and I agree its a great looking project so far. I have just seen another thread on the XF-88 Voodoo which involves Alclad, so I'm keen to watch this one also.

I'm tagging along now to watch progress!

Cheers

Terry

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,  slow progress here I'm afraid. Have been away with work and now in final stages of wedding prep (non negotiable!). Before going away I'd got the wings to a pretty decent alclad polished Al finish and this evening i started masking so i can paint the central spar. Checked the tape would come off clean and the beeping Al partly came off too, grrrr.

Deep breath then. Next plan is to try a coat or two of varnish to protect what I've done and then paint on top,  we'll see,  ill keep plugging away but resigned to the fact i won't get much done over the coming weeks (wedding is going to be awesome though!)

Another new problem I've had is small amounts of water getting sprayed intermittently through the airbrush. It seems to happen when it is hot and humid so guess it is condensation? I've got a water trap between the compressor and the tube to the airbrush but i can't really work out what it does so don't know how to fix it. are there any suggestions to help (another trap at the airbrush end?)?  Thanks! Sam

• Like 1

Does the compressor tank have a little drain tap at the bottom?

I haven't got one, or an airbrush, but the compressed air tank on my old Bedford lorry had a drain cock that needed to be used on a regular basis.

Wondering if you got a build up?

Listen, Sam, Good Luck...! 

And I'm not talking about airbrush maintenance...!!😎

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, SaminCam said:

Another new problem I've had is small amounts of water getting sprayed intermittently through the airbrush. It seems to happen when it is hot and humid so guess it is condensation? I've got a water trap between the compressor and the tube to the airbrush but i can't really work out what it does so don't know how to fix it. are there any suggestions to help (another trap at the airbrush end?)?  Thanks! Sam

Ive had that also on super humid days. My research says its the hot air cooling in the hose. Ive seen the best fix is a second water trap at the brush itself. I just live with it and try not to paint on super humid days. I cant be bothered to pay for and install a 2nd water trap. Ultimately im going to forgo the compressor and go with Co2 as it wont have the same issues and its quiet. 

• Thanks 1