Gorby's Plastic Allsorts.

Gorby

For the first two years after I returned to the plastic mangling in 2015, I was averaging one completed build every two weeks, but then I got more into improving on what I found in the box, concentrating more on quality rather than quantity. I also tried my hand at some reasonably ambitious scratch building, so the completed kit count this year has been significantly reduced.

First off: Italeri Ju-87 G-2 Stuka 1/48. An excellent kit (with a couple of issues) and a very enjoyable build. MIM (Mojo Intensity Measure) = 9/10

321282-20442-19.jpg

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235019306-italeri-ju-87-g-2-stuka-148-%E2%80%93-done-and-dusted/

Then, the biggest project I've attempted so far: Airfix Battle of Britain Ready for Battle set (exceptionally good kit/s and exceptionally good value); plus, Italeri Mk.I Hurricane (pain in the rear end); plus, Scratch built RAF hut & contents. All in 1/48. MIM = 8/10

352699-20442-80.jpg

352702-20442-90.jpg

352708-20442-83.jpg

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235022475-gorbygoulds-small-slice-of-bob-%E2%80%93-warning-rivet-counters-are-requested-to-sit-down-and-brace-themselves-before-viewing/

The next was a bit of a change for me: Fuman 88mm FLAK 18; and Tamiya Kubelwagen Type 82. These are both intended for a future diorama. The FLAK build was complicated by the instructions being entirely in Japanese and me being entirely in English. MIM = 7/10

555a94bf-1cf7-4641-bbb5-a4f8be4c8f93.JPG

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235022792-fuman-flak-flash-fettling-fun-%E2%80%93-i-just-need-to-learn-japanese-first/&page=2

Finally: Italeri Hs-123A 1/48. Horrendous kit that took me four months to beat into submission, although that was partly because my my modelling mojo was at an all time low due to my dad's illness and subsequent death. MIM = 1.2/10

404791-20442-49.jpg

404797-20442-84.jpg

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235029843-hs-123a-itareris-finest-mojo-mangler-or-i-should-have-gone-to-gaspatch/

Fortunately my MIM is now back to a much healthier 7/10 and I'm working on two Luft 46 builds.

Thanks for taking a gander and I wish you all a magnificent modelling 2018.

Gorby 

• Like 22

Firstly, sorry to hear of your father's passing. I'm 52 with health issues which make me think my father is going to outlive me by a decade or two, so I may not experience the sadness you have. Man-hugs.

As for your output for the year, you've beaten me by miles! I haven't produced one single AFV or figure, just a couple of MiniArt buildings which are for my diorama.  I'm wondering if I can post 'a scratch-built tree' or 'a barbed wire fence' in my year book, cos all I've completed are components for said diorama!

I'm not an aircraft modeller, but your Stuka is one kit I've always fancied losing my cherry to... ever since I was a kid. And yours makes me drool. Great job Gorby! The diorama is great as well, and I LOVE the inside of that hut! Finally, the 88. Mine should be arriving tomorrow, complete with the partner Sd.Kfz 7 and if it turns out half as good as yours I'll be a happy bunny. The colours you used are very effective, and attractive, and the weathering looks spot on. The Kubelwagen looks a good 'mate' for your 88, with the matching colours and 'style' of painting. I'm looking forward to seeing the diorama!

Thumbs up all round.

I hope you have a happy new year,

Rearguards

Badder

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Badder said:

'm not an aircraft modeller, but your Stuka is one kit I've always fancied losing my cherry to... ever since I was a kid. And yours makes me drool. Great job Gorby! The diorama is great as well, and I LOVE the inside of that hut! Finally, the 88. Mine should be arriving tomorrow, complete with the partner Sd.Kfz 7 and if it turns out half as good as yours I'll be a happy bunny. The colours you used are very effective, and attractive, and the weathering looks spot on. The Kubelwagen looks a good 'mate' for your 88, with the matching colours and 'style' of painting. I'm looking forward to seeing the diorama!

Thanks for that Badder. My dad was 86, he said so himself that he had a good innings, but it does tend to focus the mind on your own mortality and meaning to life the universe and everything (yes I know it's 42).

Don't hold you breath waiting for the diorama, it's sort of on hold. Partly because I want to reduce the stash, which is now up to a record breaking 13 kits; and party because I can't finalise what I want to do with the dio. I loved doing the hut and contents, but I'm less enamoured with the natural stuff – the stuff that you are good at.

I would definitely recommend the Italeri Stuka – but only if you want to display the engine (I couldn't get the cowling to fit). The best and the worst aircraft kits I have done this year have both been Italeri – the worst was the Hurricane with the Hs 123 a close second. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MAD STEVE said:

Firstly, commiserations for you loss, sad thing that.

Some lovely models there man, but I absolutely love your BOB diorama :clap2:

Thanks Mr. Mad, glad you like my offerings.

Posting those photos of the BoB dio has got me thinking….:idea:

Part of the reason I did it, was to use as a photographic 'prop', to use for future allied aircraft builds. But I build mostly Luftwaffe stuff, so today I started thinking about ideas for a German equivalent – possibly a hanger or workshop. :think:

I did find out this year that I like building vehicles as well as the wingy things - at this rate I might end up building cars!!!!! :shocked:

Oh my god... Its that new Yeti isnt it, its slowly turning you into a speed freak :) 

Well, as a distinct non builder of wingy things, that little dio has inspired me no end to build the 48th scale Defiant that somehow followed me home and plop it on a nice little base too. 

Good idea though for a German one as well, sure that one will look just as good.

and who knows...... maybe a car will be on next years yearbook :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, MAD STEVE said:

Oh my god... Its that new Yeti isnt it, its slowly turning you into a speed freak :) 

Well, as a distinct non builder of wingy things, that little dio has inspired me no end to build the 48th scale Defiant that somehow followed me home and plop it on a nice little base too. 

Good idea though for a German one as well, sure that one will look just as good.

Don't speak to me of Yeti's!!!!!

On Wednesday I was out in it and a bullet (possibly a stone, but I'm sticking to bullet) ricocheted of my windscreen. I've never had a cracked windscreen, and two :swear: months after getting a car with a heated front screen, it needs a new windscreen :swear::raincloud:

Mad Steve doing a wingy thing!!!!!!!!!! Have you gone stark staring ma..., oh of course you have….

I'm also tempted by that Defiant – but I'm tempted to build pretty much anything with wings.

Incidentally I built my favourite car a couple of years ago, so anything is possible.

a4005898-75d1-4036-bed3-a680f03f309c.JPG

• Like 2

Thanks very much Adrian.

I don't think I would ever have enjoyed the Italeri 123 build, but it was one of those kits that make you a better modeller, so I am glad I did it – although in hindsight, a shake and bake kit would probably have been better at the time.

Thanks for commenting, I'm just going to see if you have done a yearbook entry – I haven't had time to check them all.

Hello Gorby,

congratulations for your output of 2017 in spite of adverse conditions !

Sad about the passing away of your Dad, I know that Something like that is hanging over my head...

My olds are not in good shape at all,

Whatever, you did great models, I've an issue with my Stuka...

The brakets for the engine are not right at all, did you had the same problem ?

I wish you the best for 2018 !

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

On ‎28‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 7:50 PM, MAD STEVE said:

So come on Steve, try a Defiant !

Look, in between Aircrafts I build tank and cars !!

That will be interesting but be carefull !!

Aircraft are addictive !

Happy New year to you and your family !

sincerely.

corsaircorp

2 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Gorby,

congratulations for your output of 2017 in spite of adverse conditions !

Sad about the passing away of your Dad, I know that Something like that is hanging over my head...

My olds are not in good shape at all,

Whatever, you did great models, I've an issue with my Stuka...

The brakets for the engine are not right at all, did you had the same problem ?

I wish you the best for 2018 !

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

Thanks for your compliment Corsaircorp, and I'm sorry to hear about your folks – never an easy time.

The engine brackets is one of the 'issues' I encountered with this kit – they hold the engine too far forward from the bulkhead. I decided not to change them, which then means that the engine cowling won't fit, that's why my engine is totally naked. Best of luck with your build.

Thanks for taking the time to comment and I hope you have an excellent 2018. :)

2 hours ago, Gorby said:

Thanks for your compliment Corsaircorp, and I'm sorry to hear about your folks – never an easy time.

The engine brackets is one of the 'issues' I encountered with this kit – they hold the engine too far forward from the bulkhead. I decided not to change them, which then means that the engine cowling won't fit, that's why my engine is totally naked. Best of luck with your build.

Thanks for taking the time to comment and I hope you have an excellent 2018. :)

Thank you Gorby

Phew !! I'm not alone, my engine is "Erhaus schnell !!! "

I'm now working on the exhaust and there will be no engine at all !

Otherwise it's a decent kit but.....

Have a great new year eve full of what you want !!

Will no longer talk about models ! :penguin::penguin::evil_laugh:

sincerely

CC

• Like 1