Academy 1/35th 17pdr Achilles

DaveyGair

On ‎30‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 12:34 PM, Bullbasket said:

.............with it's tracks on backwards!! I wonder if it made any difference to the grip.

John.

:idea:They aren't on backwards, it's just that the photo negative was flipped, giving a mirror image. So left is right and up is down etc. :D

Rearguards,

Badder

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, Badder said:

They aren't on backwards, it's just that the photo negative was flipped, giving a mirror image. So left is right and up is down etc

Ahh! that explains it. There are a few photos out there where it seems that the tracks are on the wrong way. Hard to tell now which is which.

John. 

• Haha 1

On 07/01/2018 at 8:48 AM, Badder said:

They aren't on backwards, it's just that the photo negative was flipped, giving a mirror image. So left is right and up is down etc. :D

Errr.....No!  :fraidnot:

Those track chevrons still point the wrong way.....They're on backwards all right. 

Having said that it's no big deal, I've seen Shermans with a whole bogey on backwards! 

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

After finishing my KUTA build, and the grand-kids infecting me with their germs! :unamused: , finally back on this one.

Assembled the bogies after painting them, seems most people here assemble everything first then paint them, maybe I'm a bit OCD about getting the paint where its supposed to be!

Been removing the ammo rack detail and test fitting the engine bulkhead, ended up deviating from the instructions and cementing in the fuel tank parts and rear plate just to make sure the engine bulkhead and false floor were in the right place.

The upper hull is very warped, cemented the rear upper plate on one side, shows how bad it is! Will cement along to the other side to straighten it up, hopefully...

Going to try making the ammo racking from lolly sticks, but that's for next time ;)

Davey.

DSC_0002DSC_0003DSC_0004DSC_0005DSC_0006

• Like 5

Slow going this week, but managed to do a little PE-ing.

Ended up doing the ammo racks out of thick plasticard, just couldn't drill holes through cleanly without splitting the wood ones! Just did them by eye, couldn't be bothered to mark them all out, so some are bit cock eyed! There are four sets like this and another four which have the opposite to the two different size holes, if that makes sense. The top one is shaped at one side, will be cut off then the next one shaped, and so on ......

They should be one row wider on the bottom really, but they'll be well hidden when everything's together anyway.

DSC_0007

Have added the etch flooring from the Eduard set, looks better than the kit detail so might as well use it, also two grills at the rear.

Have decided to use the No.19 set as well, all ready to paint.

DSC_0009DSC_0010DSC_0011

I will maybe add some cables and a headset/mouth piece to put in the tray above the radio set.

• Like 6

All your work on the detailing is really going to pay off! :thumbsup: I haven't done any AFV kits with interiors yet and all these fantastic builds with interiors are making me want to have a go!

Looking forward to seeing more.

Kind regards,

Stix

16 hours ago, steve0 said:

while looking around for m10 with the correct tracks I came across this odd one cant say ive seen bolt on armour on a british one before

The Achilles' normally didn't have the mounting points on the hull sides either, strange indeed, but shows that people can't point out, 'well, that's wrong' !

Davey.

• Like 2

well clues in photo the mud id say winter of 44 the Churchill in background and tam o shanter on officer lead to scots guards  6th guards tank so corps support unfortunately the gurds swopped between 12 corps and 30 corps that winter so its from corps at of one of those two or its the 34th tank brigade when they where attached to 15th Scottish inf div but by then the 15th had archers

Edited by steve0
  • Like 1

On ‎08‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 11:13 AM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Errr.....No!  :fraidnot:

Those track chevrons still point the wrong way.....They're on backwards all right. 

I think someone misunderstood my facetiousness! :D Everyone knows that mirrors DON'T swap up for down.

Rearguards,

Badder

Still slow progress on this, why is it when you retire you seem to have less time on your hands to do the things you want to, and are more tired :huh: !

Anyway, been doing a bit of painting and weathering on the interior, the radio has to have a couple of wiring bits and pieces to add, the protective grill isn't glued on yet. Also still have to scratch some headsets/microphones.

DSC_0012

Tried one of the ammo racks I scratchbuilt for size, not perfect but it'll do. Needs straps adding which I might be able to use those supplied in the Eduard etch set.

DSC_0014

DSC_0015

The undercart has been added as well.

DSC_0016DSC_0019

Still a lot of touching up to do and weathering etc, gonna have to give myself a good shake, especially to get those tracks done!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of things conspiring to stall this build, and I nearly decided to park it on the SOD! But got some enthusiasm back and, even though the interior isn't finished yet, decided to put the tracks together. After a few false starts and nearly ending up on that SOD, got a rhythm going and have arrived at two completed runs of track. The photo's show them just loosely in place, just hope they look OK after painting and set properly.

The guide horns drag on the return roller bearing caps which would be a problem in real life! Also obviously the tracks are now too wide for the road wheels and Idlers.

DSC_0022DSC_0021DSC_0020

• Like 4

Looking forward to seeing how this come along, i'm just starting my Tamiya M10 build. Will watch with interest. Not sure i'm good enough to show on a WIP thread yet :think:

Thanks for the kind comments folks, will press on, may have to bypass some of the etch stuff but I really want to try to finish this and get inspiration to do some of the other 1/35th Armour models I have (including the Bronco Bishop currently residing on the SOD!).

9 minutes ago, Yetifan said:

Looking forward to seeing how this come along, i'm just starting my Tamiya M10 build. Will watch with interest. Not sure i'm good enough to show on a WIP thread yet :think:

Do the build on here, I just joined nearly two years ago and its surprising how much doing a build thread improves your techniques (and I've just turned 57 and been modelling on and off for nearly 50 years!) and gives you the impetus to finish models. Everyone is encouraging, no unkind comments on here, and some humour in abundance, go on, try it.

Davey.