Corsair’s M10 Achilles IIC

@Sgt.Squarehead ... Or Anyone else for that matter. Does anyone have any idea on the Antennae length for the longer antenna mounted on the forward glacis ? Not the shorter one to the right side. Tamiya molds the shorter one to correct length, but only give a mount for the other ? 

45 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

@Sgt.Squarehead ... Or Anyone else for that matter. Does anyone have any idea on the Antennae length for the longer antenna mounted on the forward glacis ? Not the shorter one to the right side. Tamiya molds the shorter one to correct length, but only give a mount for the other ? 

Over 6ft.  :yes:;)

• Thanks 1

In the detail set I have for my 1/35  Achilles, the long aerial is 35.5mm long, the short is 12.5mm long, that's 1.397" and 0.492" or just over 4 feet and a foot and a half in real life, if you times them by 35 (is that the right way to scale these up?)

They weren't that long if you look at photo's.

US and UK were different radio sets, American M10's HAD to have a bigger aerial ;)

Davey.

Edited by DaveyGair
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, DaveyGair said:

In the detail set I have for my 1/35  Achilles, the long aerial is 35.5mm long, the short is 12.5mm long, that's 1.397" and 0.492" or just over 4 feet and a foot and a half in real life, if you times them by 35 (is that the right way to scale these up?)

They weren't that long if you look at photo's.

US and UK were different radio sets, American M10's HAD to have a bigger aerial ;)

Davey.

Actually, add 7mm for a part of the short one's base I forgot to add in, so adding around 10" to its length.

Haven't a clue actually because the more I study pictures the more I see longer aerials on the front of 17pdr M10's, maybe these short ones are for post-war slightly more modern sets?

Davey.

• Thanks 1

Hello all ... I think Im calling this done. The only thing i cant add is real mud. As there is a good deal of snow and frozen ground currently. I think i will wait till the spring for that. So here are my last photo’s of the Achilles. 

lzGgUlX.jpg

cZbgqfx.jpg

Final turret photo’s. Next up is everything together including M2.50. And antennaes mountedi went a full 3” or 12 feet on the antennae as the photos all looked quite tall.XPWMV5s.jpg

U7s22wZ.jpg

2JWoy41.jpg

D55Xbu6.jpg

HzypGTl.jpg

4Y8zsCX.jpg

C7ovETR.jpg

R90Zdx6.jpg

I hope this meets with everyones expectations. Id like to thank everyone for the help and for making this a very enjoyable first group build. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 11

@Sgt.Squarehead ... Im going to finish an M7 Kangaroo i started many moons ago. I dont plan on having it count as part of the Group build. But I feel i want to keep some momentum up here and will just use the space to finish the build. Its almost complete but needs a new paint job and some stowage. Please let me know if this is ok ? I will post some photos of this tomorrow and let you see what it looks like. 

Dennis 

• Like 1

@wimbledon99 ... Thanks as the post above i will still be working on other sherman stuff. Im going to finish up my M7 Kangaroo and freshen up the rest of my shermans here. They wont go in the gallery and wont count in the voting but i feel inspired to work on them and what better place to do it where i can get info and moral support. 

Dennis

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...