Corsair’s M10 Achilles IIC

Hello all Im going to start my thread here for the Group build. This will be a Number of firsts for me. It will be my First Group build ever, also my first ever 1/48th armor build. From what im seeing of the quality it wont be my last. Ok lets start with the obligatory photos.   

Box cover first ⬇️2svI8zt.jpg

The Artwork for the kits markings. ⬇️GSXdXUr.jpg

Finally the contents of said box, as you can see its all in plastic so 0% work done at this point. ⬇️diIAsFg.jpg

And the second of the content photos. ⬇️IffrbcF.jpg

I have no etch im going for a straight up build. However im not so sure about the markings. I have a request in the M3/M4 chat looking for help with that. I may be able to modify some of my stowage from my 1/35th for this such as tarps,bags, and similar. I might use that to liven it up. I guess thats all for now see you saturday 👍.

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 9

Nice looking kit Dennis, you'll definitely enjoy the group build area and pick up lots of hints and tips along the way. Most of my builds this year have been GB orientared. I've not built anything in 1/48 yet so will be watching with intrest.

• Thanks 1

I've heard and seen good things about these 1/48th Tamiya military vehicles, look forward to the finished build.

I'm going to attempt the Academy 1/35th offering, must get those photos done 🤔

Davey

• Like 1

Good choice of subject. The metal hulls seem to cause fit issues that are tricky to correct. Plastic is much better. If there isn't one in the kit add a full engine bulkhead at the rear of the fighting compartment, if you don't the hull sides WILL bow in later. I learned the hard way. Don't be like me ;) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good idea for a project and 1/48 Tamiya armour kits are usually fun to build. I've got one of these in the stash so I will be interested to see your build of it.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

Gees I hope not ... MEK & I dont have a good history. I did that to my cutting mat two yrs ago and erased 2/3rds of the lines. Earlier this year i got some in my right eye ... I flushed my eye and in the end it was fine. Lets talk about a new level of pain. 

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

Nice one Dennis, just don't do what I did with mine and knock a bottle of MEK over it.:rage:

Shake the worst off, then mess with what you can't remove with a stiff bristled brush and call it 'texturing the armour'.  :nerd:

• Haha 1

So im down to at least three options here. Commonwealth forces in Italy. The kits option in NW Europe, and an IDF Achilles. Time will tell which route i choose. I have some extras i found in my spares pile. The camouflage net ⬆️ In the post above good for the two European Theaters. I have a sand colored net if i go with the Israeli option. I have some stowage and an M1919 browning i might swap out with the Ma Deuce. 

Thanks 👍 but keyboards arent very tasty.  ... I found a bison sheet in 35th scale that has both a green/sand & green/black pattern in wide bands for Italy. I cant use the decals but gives me ideas for the markings and schemes. I will keep the mickey mouse pattern as my NWE option, and im working on the Israeli markings for that option. 

Ok Imgur is back up AsYhMCN.jpg

Now to get on with this Tank !

Ok i’ve hit my first roadblock. Here are the instructions. ⬇️

WoiuUUp.jpg

Problem is this is an open topped vehicle and there is no transmission. Just the odd pedestal mount to attach the upper and lower halves together. I will do a rough scratch build of the transmission so its visible. Wont be perfect but it will be there. 

Additional
  • Like 1

Ok enough for tonight .. this is where i am. This is hull, sidewalls, & interior started. m0ILsmm.jpg

And no i didnt start at step 1 i will build the bogey’s up after paint. This is the rear hull as it sits now. 

PmCSFok.jpg

Next up detail the drivers positions and finish the transmission. Add the rear engine bulkhead. Good night all. 

Dennis

• Like 6

Good start on the Achilles. I will be doing a Tamiya M10 in Royal Artillery markings in Italy. My thread will start in a few days. Good to see others have made a start on their builds. 

• Like 1

Hello everyone ... I'm finished with the drivers compartment for now. May add some cable runs yet. But here it is with Transmission, radio, and bulkhead in place. Rear bulkhead is also in and the forward transmission cover. 

Drivers compartment with transmission and bulkhead. ⬇️

R3D4IgU.jpg

A close up of this area ⬇️

TBiCRVg.jpg

The yellow blob of resin is the radio set. It will look better in black.  Next up the lower hull in the front. ⬇️YPR1XUZ.jpg

Last up is a shot showing everything with the upper hull placed on just to see how it looks. ⬇️LVIGyBH.jpg

I know it looks like there are nasty open areas under the side sponsons. But the directions place a large number of shells and shellholders there. I will probably plate the floors of the sponsons if there are gaps after i see how it is when i get to that stage. Time for food here more later tonight. 

Dennis

• Like 3

Scary thing is its sitting on my desk next to one of my -5 corsairs. Both are 1/48th scale but the corsairs like 3.5 times the size of the achilles. Makes you realize how big planes really are. I can see why Tamiya went this route though its good for combining and interchanging for dioramas and vignettes. 

• Like 1

Hello everyone here is tonights update. I was able to do the upper hull. I drilled out all the holes for the tools & equipment. I mounted the lift rings, track clete stowage on the sides, lights, and guards. I filled in some of the tiny seems. That covers tonights foray. MISRFoq.jpg

The rear K7uI7oh.jpg

finally the front, minus the extra armor. X3VnIaa.jpg

I think im going to go with the scheme the Sgt.Squarehead helped me with. The Achilles will be out of NWE, Netherlands to be precise. Its the same unit as the kits markings but different name. Chelsea is switching to Caribou. 

Ok guys its bed time ... I will see you tomorrow. 

Dennis

• Like 5