+++++ Vought Kingfisher Number 2 - FINISHED +++++

I did mention I was going to do two Kingfishers in tandem. I did start the Airfix one at the same time but have been tardy in posting photographs, although I have been taking them as I go along. It's late, and I was chided earlier by Pat in the other thread for staying up too late so we'll start with a little taster.

resized_050e63cc-cf55-4352-9223-b29985b2

I think i got this one in Modelzone when it was closing down. I've made it twice before. The first time back in the 60s (I think) when first released in dark blue plastic and a few years back when I built it as a wheeeld version SEAC colours, although I think I never completed the canopies. This one will be in TSS colours from the transfer set on the right below..

resized_cab4f63a-2bc2-4cd9-a380-2945616b

Here's what Airfix put in the box

resized_4dfd8479-d3fd-41f3-814a-ca8afb8c

Simple model, clear instructions and nice transfers.

resized_490a5399-ce68-47e6-b335-ec241a29

Cockpit detail minimal, but Airfix do provide an IP transfer but no actual IP.

resized_e930f820-dc40-4021-9505-13580059

Sprues for your delectation. I must have opened the box before and shoved on some paint, but certainly nowhere near the 25% that would disbar the build. 

resized_fa8e34bc-5017-45d3-93a4-46e1e816

More tomorrow. 

Edited by 825
  • Like 1

Some paint onto the details. Also the wings are in upper and lower halves and I recall they fitted OK last time so I'll paint them before glueing together which gives a good demarcation line on the wing front. Mind you a number of pictures in the Warpaint book show fairly ragged demarcation on a number of aircraft.

resized_849ae1a9-4654-44da-b552-afb1996d

There are quite a few ejector pins or holes to be removed/filled. Here is the work needed in the rear cockpit.

resized_7899d6fc-bb06-4e36-b63f-af80574e

The kit has an integral moulded bulkhead behind the cockpit, which was missing on one side. A piece of plastic card was needed to fix this. 

resized_72a4d1b4-aad0-4b96-944f-2abbb943

The Scarff ring has a 'seat' moulded onto it for the somewhat truncated rear cockpit occupant. I'm having mine uncrewed so the seat was literally gouged out.

resized_f1817b1f-40e4-49d4-a767-420f0cd4

Another flawed area is the fit around the exhaust inserts. Quite a bit of careful filling and sanding needed. 

resized_7e8917e2-7806-4b43-b93f-516a5aa4

After all this rectification and a bit of glueing, the fuselage is together and tidied up. The engine isn't great mind you.

resized_3b8a62c0-f819-4f15-bbea-67424b85

• Like 4

Hi @825

Welcome again to the GB with your third entry! The kingfisher is an interesting type and I admire your courage for dealing with these old tooled kits! Wish you luck!

Cheers

Jaime

12 hours ago, 06/24 said:

Given its age this looks surprisingly buildable - much better than the Gosling that @CedBbattled with, for example.

I know all about the Gosling/Widgeon. I battled it a few years ago. I think I won in the end of the day. On points if not a knockout. 

b23388a9-13a8-4fb6-b65a-5a11196175ca.JPG

9eb452e2-6cb2-4411-96fc-739bd9c8bf50.JPG

Its looking a bit sorry for itself and I had to clean a lot of dust off. Hence the white staining. I should have tried to pass it off as an attempt at salt residue staining. 

9 hours ago, jrlx said:

Hi @825

Welcome again to the GB with your third entry! The kingfisher is an interesting type and I admire your courage for dealing with these old tooled kits! Wish you luck!

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks Jaime. I like these old kits. Apart from reminding my of my childhood and adolescent years I often find them less challenging then modern highly engineered, highly detailed kits.

• Like 3

Fuselage closed up, tidied up and some paint on. 

resized_471634e4-9197-4f57-b17a-8b3e7c83

Im not 100% convinced by Aero Club's camouflage scheme for the TSS on the upperworks. Apart from the wings not looking quite correct, the side, and port side only is illustrated, and upper fuselage don't match. And the continuation onto the starboard side doesn't make sense. And again don't match what one would expect from the wings and tailplane I wonder if they have confused the colours. I've looked through the Warpaint book and it only gives starboard sides and there aren't any pictures of the upperworks of FAA Kingfishers that help. Any ideas gratefully received. 

resized_82482894-4f11-4b0b-a8c6-62e7ba6f

• Like 3

I've fashioned some seatbelts from Tamiya tape. I've also added a control column from wire. Rather than fashion a new cockpit floor, etc. I've simply glued it to the front of the seat, which should look fine once in the darkness of the cockpit. 

resized_63439789-fdf6-4cc2-ac9d-42060f4c

Good scratch building! If you have electrical wire with very fine multifilar core wires, you could had buckles to your seat belts, for both Kingfisher kits.

Cheers

Jaime

All assembled and a few coats of paint now on. 

resized_1f838a72-94bb-470f-aa64-712f0a3a

Canopies masked and ready for putting on. That took a fair bit of time.

resized_aa3c660a-0577-4b21-b2e7-8aa3c551

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, jrlx said:

Excellent progress, looking good!

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks Jaime. I'm just hoping I can finish both the Kingfishers in time. I should be able to unless I have any disasters on the way. I have heard the canopies on this one can be awkward but I've got the windscreen and the first of the rear compartment on. And they seem OK so far. 

• Like 1

Some of the canopies on and almost all the touching up completed. 

resized_aebe98e9-8902-42d4-9412-c61191af

Now with all canopies on, some transfers and the he canopies painted with a layer of interior green, then the camouflage colours.

resized_058c1604-c6f9-46bb-82a9-20ac55fc

I've fixed the overhanging walkway transfer with Micro Set. 

resized_5a1e5fd7-1964-47fa-bc43-b6decad1

I'm not greatly impressed with the canopies, too complex and that means that they basically don't fit. If I had more time I would do a bit more work. Also the instructions are vague if you have the rear compartment sections off the sprue. I think the first section may be the wrong way round. I'll have a rethink in the morning. 

• Like 1

God job! I like the camo of this one!

Please note that the GB deadline was extended till 14 January. So, no need to rush :)

Cheers

Jaime

Floats on and all the transfers on. The transfers are from the Aero Master Fleet Air Arm Part 1 sheet which has a nice range of FAA planes (see first post above) and has this Kingfisher from RNAS Sandbanks in 42/43. I think the fuselage roundel is probably a little too large so the 'Royal Navy' and serial had to be fitted round. 

resized_a3957578-b6df-449e-b2c3-478b7f12

I thought the wing floats wouls be a challenge but getting them on wasn't too bad. All in all doesn't look too bad, despite the ill fitting canopies.

resized_d37fa5fb-bcd5-4878-9fc3-7867c60c

i replace do the pitot with a piece of brass rod and the aerial is to be added. Mind you the latter seems to have got lost in the box so I may have to fabricate something from plastic card. Apart from that just the decal solutions to be cleaned off Somme touching up of the paint and a couple of coats of matt varnish and she'll be in the gallery. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Nice one 825

I don't envy you with all that masking !

Home straight now

cheers Pat

It was a painstaking job, 36 panes (appropriately named) to mask on each Kingfisher. To be honest I just sat down and got on with it using small rectangles of Tamiya tape. 

6 hours ago, jrlx said:

Looks good! Will you weather the Kingfishers?

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks Jaime. I did think about weathering, especially the grey version as it spent its life in the Indian and Pacific Oceans so would probably faded somewhat. I did think about using Intermediate Blue rather than Dark Blue Grey to reflect this. Time however is against me and the mat varnish I'll use will dull the finish quite a bit.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, 825 said:

Time however is against me

We still have an extra week in the GB, if you wish to do some more work on the weathering.

Cheers

Jaime

Finished.  Couple of coats of Liquitex matt varnish, unmasked, all the little bits fixed on. And then left to sit for a week for some unknown reason. Will pop in the gallery a little later. 

resized_525a3e79-42b6-4541-9e69-86bd271f

And here here it is with the parallel Lindberg build

resized_a924f620-e0f4-427b-843c-68dd0596

• Like 3