Revell 1/144 AN-225 Mriya??

phantomphan92

The Sinsheim Buran model (almost) represents the BTS-02 atmospheric test version that they exhibit at Speyer.  You would need to remove the four jet engines and mod the rockets to represent the flight-worthy Buran.  There is also a gear fairing under the nose to cater for mounting the nose leg lower to improve the angle of attack for runway takeoffs - but that is not an issue as it seems to have been missed.

Not sure the BTS-02 was ever carried by the An-225?  But happy to be proved wrong.

Howard

• Like 1

A great way to display the Mriya would be to have FIVE tanks arrayed in front of it - (2 X T-80 + 3 X T-72 I think) - if you can get them in 1/144 scale(?).

an_225_l3.jpg

2014.11_18_Antonov_225_1.jpg

During the testing of the An-225 - with various pallets of heavy metal being loaded on and off for different payload records, someone realised that loading and unloading the pallets was too labour-intensive and suggested a self-loading cargo in the form of tanks.

The final heavy-lift flight comprised a cargo of FIVE 50-ton tanks - for a max cargo of 250 tonnes !!! :analintruder: - and a takeoff weight of 600 tonnes.

I've already got my tanks ready (Revell 1/72 scale) - in anticipation of a 1/72 scale kit from Modelsvit!!

Ken

Edited by Flankerman
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...
4 hours ago, B.sin said:

SeaVenon.

You can always do a "what if," 

when it comes to the camouflage scheme.

That's true but for some reason I always think there's something not quite right about doing that.    Silly I know but I can't really put it into words what I mean.

Call me crazy, but I'm thinking about doing one in USAF markings. Like, what if Antonov entered into a partnership with the US, or relocated to the US. The Air Force realizing it needs a bigger transport plane to replace the C-5 due to increasing demands for more cargo. New build AN-225's built in the US with Western avionics, engines, ect. A very rough and cut theory, so don't take it as the final version of the story. Once I get a couple, I'll build one as a what if, and the other one as the actual plane.

9 minutes ago, GRIM REAPER said:

The Air Force realizing it needs a bigger transport plane to replace the C-5 due to increasing demands for more cargo... 

Initially Mrya was conceived as to carry Buran on its back. How about modifying your idea for carrying elements of SLS externally? 

Is it just me, or does the spine and center wing section look to be one piece? Looking at the half built one on the right, it kind of looks that way; with the seam line running along the side of the fusalage. That's an interesting approach. Looks like they did it that way so they wouldn't have to mold a separate piece for the tail.

They might have moulded the inner wing section and spine to accomodate the different mounting brackets for different external payloads - or, a more plausible explanation is to correctly mould the rear of the fairing between the wing and fuselage.

It is quite a complex shape - with a round fuselage translating into a flat section and a round top....

an-225_07.JPG

Some pics I took of the beast at Gostomel in 2006..... http://www.flankers-site.co.uk/An-225.html

Ken

Edited by Flankerman

On 9/20/2018 at 11:21 PM, GRIM REAPER said:

Call me crazy, but I'm thinking about doing one in USAF markings. Like, what if Antonov entered into a partnership with the US, or relocated to the US. The Air Force realizing it needs a bigger transport plane to replace the C-5 due to increasing demands for more cargo. New build AN-225's built in the US with Western avionics, engines, ect. A very rough and cut theory, so don't take it as the final version of the story. Once I get a couple, I'll build one as a what if, and the other one as the actual plane.

Nice to know I'm not the only crazy one on here.  Interesting idea.