Aermacchi MB 399A Fuerza Aerea Argentina

Davek72

In 1997 I had an impromptu holiday to Argentina (not quite a Withnail “we have come on holiday by mistake” but not really planned).   What followed was one of the best trips I have ever had..  Lovely people, lovely country and great food and wine.  I also remember seeing lots of rather tired looking retired Argentine airforce planes outside rather tired looking airforce bases....in particular some rather battered looking meteors.

Anyway I finally build one of those meteors a few years ago from a nice MGM kit and have been looking for follow up Argentine builds since then.

I picked this Italeri kit up in a sale some time ago but it has been resting in the stash since then.   I am now on a 6 day post Christmas trip to the in laws so I thought well why not.   It will be a basic build as I don’t have that many tools with me and no airbrush.  But hopefully I can have some fun and produce something that looks Like an Argentine plane.

In didn’t actually know that much about the MB 339A before starting the build but there is a useful Wikipedia entry here.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aermacchi_MB-339

The kits itself is showings it’s age with a mix of raised and recessed panel lines.   If I was at home I might have a go a rescribing (as other better modellers in our community have done in the past) but I am not and I won’t.  Let’s see how it turns out.

The box and sprue shots...

27506272899_136445cbc6_b.jpg

27506266809_3d9c2e199e_b.jpg

24419545307_a69eeb0e21_b.jpg

39253391272_4f5cee9680_b.jpg

As always all comments welcome.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Smudge said:

Interesting. I haven't seen that box/issue before. Only the Frecci Tricolori one.

I believe that is the old Supermodel kit. Looking forward to seeing how it comes together. 

Cheers Smudge having done a bit of digging on the internet I think you are right.  It’s not the greatest kit I’ve ever built and some of the engineering is non existent (think lots of butt joints)...let’s see how it some together.  

Dave

Great subject!

The Aermacchi were used by the Argentine Naval Aviation (COAN in spanish)

Looking forward to seeing the model completed :)

Cheers, Moggy

Edited by Moggy

21 hours ago, Moggy said:

Great subject!

The Aermacchi were used by the Argentine Naval Aviation (COAN in spanish)

Looking forward to seeing the model completed :)

Cheers, Moggy

Thanks Moggy

I do have a soft spot to Argentine aviation and the Aermacchi is quite elegant.   I am missing some of my kit but this build is proving an entertaining way of passing a couple of hours at the in laws.  

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Killingholme said:

I did one of these last year, finished in the 'delivery' scheme of Orange/White. You can use the decals from the box unaltered. A bit different!

575733_2672071460982_1832017474_1576725_1227920553_n.jpg

Will

Very smart Will

I think I will save that one for the next build.  Was looking for a 1/48 kits of the Aermacchi but the only one I could find was an old Frems kit.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by Davek72

It’s all come together relatively easily.  Some filler was required but the only tricky bit was getting the fins (?) under the rear fuselage attached and at the right angles (I hope).

38682946844_5c3ba70f93_b.jpg

38682946854_4cb542b90f_b.jpg

Still a bit of sanding and filling to be done but it looks like an Aermacchi now...I think.

Cheers

Dave 

Edited by Davek72
  • Like 2

Looks very striking. The true colours used on these aircraft are continuously debated- a debate made more complex by the fact that they were not camouflaged at the factory, only a handful survived the war intact, and some remained in operation until the 90s. Take your pick!!

aermacchi%20mb%20339%20(2).jpg?crc=69396589

MB-339-abandonado-580x346.jpg

mb-339%20argentina.jpg?crc=3911351376

010609_crippa4.bmp

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Killingholme said:

Looks very striking. The true colours used on these aircraft are continuously debated- a debate made more complex by the fact that they were not camouflaged at the factory, only a handful survived the war intact, and some remained in operation until the 90s. Take your pick!!

aermacchi%20mb%20339%20(2).jpg?crc=69396589

MB-339-abandonado-580x346.jpg

mb-339%20argentina.jpg?crc=3911351376

010609_crippa4.bmp

Cheers that is really helpful.   Despite doing quite a bit of googling I hadn’t seen all this pics.   I guess no 3 looks closest to a “clean” colour scheme but from the photos it looks like my green is too dark.   I will have a play and maybe dry brush it a bit.  

Dave

• Like 1

Coming along nicely, Dave. Those pictures are very interesting. I think I recall seeing one of these at the FAA Museum, Yeovilton immediately post the Falklands War. Can't help you with the colours I'm afraid, other than to add that the picture of the damaged a/c looks very clean (or at least it was prior to it's destruction).

I noticed on your picture of the pre build sprues that a small frame contains parts for the gun pods. I'm not sure if these are present in the Frecci Tricoloroi boxing. In any case I think I will pick up one of these, as I'd need the decals. Don't think anyone else does them, although could be wrong on that.  

Edited by Smudge

On 03/01/2018 at 10:21 AM, Smudge said:

Coming along nicely, Dave. Those pictures are very interesting. I think I recall seeing one of these at the FAA Museum, Yeovilton immediately post the Falklands War. Can't help you with the colours I'm afraid, other than to add that the picture of the damaged a/c looks very clean (or at least it was prior to it's destruction).

I noticed on your picture of the pre build sprues that a small frame contains parts for the gun pods. I'm not sure if these are present in the Frecci Tricoloroi boxing. In any case I think I will pick up one of these, as I'd need the decals. Don't think anyone else does them, although could be wrong on that.  

Hi Smudge cheers for the email.  Still very unsure of colours to go for but hey ho. There were indeed gun pods which have now been attached but then suffer a mishap on the journey back from the north.  More to follow. 

Ps if you want any of the decals that I haven’t used pls let me know and I will send them over.  

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the very kind offer. I think I'm really only interested in the Argentine navy version. I would like one in my Falklands Air War collection. 

Looking forward to seeing it in the markings. Out of interest, what colours do Italeri suggest in the instructions?

3 hours ago, Smudge said:

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the very kind offer. I think I'm really only interested in the Argentine navy version. I would like one in my Falklands Air War collection. 

Looking forward to seeing it in the markings. Out of interest, what colours do Italeri suggest in the instructions?

Hi Smudge

Understood.  For the record the decals have behaved reasonably well but not quite the standard we have come to expect in recent years.   

Re colour call outs hopefully these will help.

38740466815_0dcb03d6e9_b.jpg

38928722094_690c2377d6_b.jpg

Cheers

Dave

• Like 2

So as indicated above I had a bit of a mishap on the way home from the in laws.  Despite careful packing some of those butt joints I mentioned earlier snapped off and more critically so did the barrels on the 30mm cannons.   Cue super glue and Albion alloys tubing.

Luckily it all seemed to go back together ok and following some touching up and a gloss coat the decals went on.   

39620785761_6fe41f1367_b.jpg

Cheers

Dave

• Like 2

So I think I am calling this one done.  Some weathering (not my best) and a matt coat.  All in all not the nicest kit I have ever had the privilege of building but not the worst either.  I certainly could have done a better job but isn't that always the case.

Cheers for looking.

Dave

39671904001_0a097d5678_b.jpg

38774495045_64bca06be4_b.jpg

• Like 2