M4A1 “Goldie” Normandy 1944 - Eduard/Tasca 1/35 - Finished -

PlaStix

@Sgt.Squarehead - following your concerns regarding the tracks; I have been able to introduce some slight sagging to the top runs of the tracks - mostly with careful use of CA glue. I will take some photos tomorrow but thank you for the advice! :thumbsup:

On 06/03/2018 at 19:11, beefy66 said:

Hi Stix this is looking stunning just catching up on the GB and Wow definitely worth the wait for me :yes:

beefy

Hi beefy and thank you for stopping by and for your very kind comments.

19 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

A great touch the figures ... that envy ... and the base is super-real, the final result will be the winner ...:popcorn:

Cheers Stix :yes:

Thank you very much Francis - you are waaayyy too kind.

18 hours ago, Hewy said:

Great base stix, really does look the part

Hi Glynn and thank you. I was reasonably pleased with the base. It's a bit of a departure from what I usually do, both in terms of shape and trying to include puddles/wet mud!

......and it's almost the weekend!! :yahoo: I have already given the two figures, machine gun and fuel Jerry can an undercoat of thinned Revell's Anthracite ready for the the main colours. I have also done a bit of work on one of the features for the scene. More tomorrow I hope.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 1

Well this project is just about finished. Once again I was a bit too late to get any decent photos of the finished scene but I will try and do some tomorrow. The only photo was from earlier in the day when I had almost finished painting the remaining two figures:

38920739340_d5103c0369_b.jpg

These have now been completed and are in place with Goldie on the base.

In the harsh light of tomorrow morning I will probably spot something I'm not happy with and spend time sorting it out before I get around to taking the photos.

Also tomorrow, I'm hoping the light will be okay so I can make the video I have said I will make showing how I paint with flat and other brushes. I have made a start on the introduction section so it's now just a case of buckling down and doing the demonstration.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 10

On 26/02/2018 at 3:26 PM, PlaStix said:

- if by reaching my standard you mean by lowering yours

Just caught up on this after a week of only momentary visits to BM.

Coming back to this GB was like opening a box of chocolates. A real Smörgåsbord of delights. (Yesh I know that's cheese, but mixed metaphors are ace)

This is definitely the 'purple wrapped Quality Street chocolate' in my books. (Or the Wenslydale with Cranberries, if you prefer)

And regarding the quote above, I think you underestimate your talent. Your AFV builds are much better than mine IMHO. Your brushwork is perfect, the effects, colour choices, and added details wonderful. And your diorama base is very effective. I love the puddles, mud, the fence and ivy. Sometimes simple is best. As for your figure painting, well, I've a long, long way to go to match yours!

Great stuff.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/03/2018 at 18:54, Joss said:

The figures look super stix. Looking forward to seeing it all together!

Joss

Hi Joss and tjhank you. Check out below!

On 10/03/2018 at 19:27, Badder said:

Just caught up on this after a week of only momentary visits to BM.

Coming back to this GB was like opening a box of chocolates. A real Smörgåsbord of delights. (Yesh I know that's cheese, but mixed metaphors are ace)

This is definitely the 'purple wrapped Quality Street chocolate' in my books. (Or the Wenslydale with Cranberries, if you prefer)

And regarding the quote above, I think you underestimate your talent. Your AFV builds are much better than mine IMHO. Your brushwork is perfect, the effects, colour choices, and added details wonderful. And your diorama base is very effective. I love the puddles, mud, the fence and ivy. Sometimes simple is best. As for your figure painting, well, I've a long, long way to go to match yours!

Great stuff.

Rearguards,

Badder

Hi Badder and thank you very much, as always, for your very kind comments - can I just check if you were hungry when you wrote the above? ;)

On 11/03/2018 at 18:31, Etienne said:

Very nice build, the figures are great too B) E

Thank you very much Etienne, most kind.

Well over the weekend I managed to get it finished and I have now got all the photos posted.

The Gallery photos can be found HERE.

The Ready for Inspection photos can be found HERE.

The Vignette photos with a sky background can be found HERE.

A couple here:

40054410684_6e5a06366a_b.jpg

26893840198_d970b72057_b.jpg

Well this was an excellent first AFV GB and I thoroughly enjoyed being part of it. Thank you to the hosts and everyone who kindly took the time to comment and offer advice in this thread. Roll on the next AVF GB at the end of the year!

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Robert Stuart said:

Looks great Stix, with a bit of humour thrown in :)

Thank you very much Robert. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

19 hours ago, DaveyGair said:

Simply superb effort, my wife thinks the black and white photo looks real, and if I didn't know better would agree with her!

:goodjob:

Davey.

Thank you very much Davey to you and your wife. You are both too kind!

13 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Sheer class!  B)

Thank you very much Sarge. Thank you too for suggesting and hosting this great GB. Well done! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Like 1

On 17/03/2018 at 19:11, Ozzy said:

Fantastic work Stix, it's been a joy watching her come together.

That you very much Ozzy - and thank you for your co-hosting efforts with this GB - well done! :thumbsup:

On 17/03/2018 at 22:20, Hewy said:

Honestly, most impressive modelling, painting and weathering skills, stix looks like you've got a new kit coming:penguin::D

:rofl: Wayyyyyy too kind Glynn!

Just in case people haven't visited my Type 10 thread in the 10th Annivesary GB, I posted a video there showing how I initially paint my models with flat brushes. In this case it shows how I painted the JGSDF Type 10 Tank

It certainly isn't a perfect video. For a start it's a bit too long - I filmed me painting a few bits for over an hour and a half but then had the problem of deciding how and what to edit. I got it down to about 50 minutes - but that is still too long.

Second - the first half suffers from it being the first time I had done a video like this - so you cannot always see what I am doing - the second half - when I'm doing the second coat - is better because I moved the camera nearer having reviewed the first half.

It's a bit quiet too - it sounds fine on the iPad I recorded it on but seems too quiet on my laptop. If you want to use them - the automatic close captions are not a bad match. Now this may be a good thing so you don't hear me rambling on too much!

If you do decide to watch any of it please make sure you know where the Fast Forward, Mute and Stop buttons are!

If people are interested I will post some videos of how I do some of the other painting and weathering I do.

Finally - my suggestion is just dip in and out - life's to short! ;)

EDIT - The link to the video can now be found at the bottom of my signature below each of my posts.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Hi Stix,

That finished build is just outstanding :clap:

Love the chap with the sign post. Looks so natural!! Amazing - Much kudos

Re. your painting video; you make it look so simple. Looking forward to more :smile:

Cheers

Nigel

• Thanks 1

Excellent resource that you have given us :smartass:, a luxury that someone with talent shares their techniques with the less fortunate (me :hanging:... lol).
Only the most difficult part remains, knowing how to take advantage ...:hmmm:, lol

Cheers Stix :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

On 20/03/2018 at 20:56, wimbledon99 said:

Hi Stix,

That finished build is just outstanding :clap:

Love the chap with the sign post. Looks so natural!! Amazing - Much kudos

Re. your painting video; you make it look so simple. Looking forward to more :smile:

Cheers

Nigel

Hi Nigel. Hope you are well. As always - thank you very much for your very kind comments and your support. :thumbsup:

Hopefully the next video will be later this week if all goes to plan.

On 22/03/2018 at 18:02, FrancisGL said:

Excellent resource that you have given us :smartass:, a luxury that someone with talent shares their techniques with the less fortunate (me :hanging:... lol).
Only the most difficult part remains, knowing how to take advantage ...:hmmm:, lol

Cheers Stix :thumbsup:

Hi Francis. Like Nigel, you are always very kind and supportive, thank you very much. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

I am actually missing working on this project and in this GB. It was great fun so I have been messing around with a couple of photos with the Flickr editor:

40228281035_9d1a5c4535_b.jpg

41079642992_9da4926854_b.jpg

40228294775_ac77cbb780_b.jpg

Good luck to everyone who is still trying to their Sherman finished.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Just finished the reading of this thread and I need to say that I’m absolutely amazed. Bravo, @PlaStix - fantastic work! 👏 As I’m formerly a hand brusher, I want to say thank you for sharing your experience and pictures with us.

Stunning build, congratulations! 🥳

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Just finished the reading of this thread and I need to say that I’m absolutely amazed. Bravo, @PlaStix - fantastic work! 👏 As I’m formerly a hand brusher, I want to say thank you for sharing your experience and pictures with us.

Stunning build, congratulations! 🥳

Hi again Nikolay. Thank you for taking the time to read this thread and for your very kind comments. I have to say this was one of my most enjoyable projects - both from the point of view of the excellent kit from Eduard/Tasca and from how the scene came together.

Thank you again.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1