M4A1 “Goldie” Normandy 1944 - Eduard/Tasca 1/35 - Finished -

PlaStix

That really is a stunning result Stix,

The figures finish it of nicely for me. I think they add a lot to AFV subjects. 

The base will set off the tank to a tee.

Looking forward to the next update.

Cheers GregB)

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, fatfingers said:

Aye up Stix.

Stunning - simply stunning! Anyone would think you've done this before!! :clap::worthy:

Regards,

Steve

Maybe a couple of times! Thank you Steve. :thumbsup:

18 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

That really is a stunning result Stix,

The figures finish it of nicely for me. I think they add a lot to AFV subjects. 

The base will set off the tank to a tee.

Looking forward to the next update.

Cheers GregB)

Cheers Greg. You are very kind as always. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

On 28/02/2018 at 10:40, Ozzy said:

Fantastic job Stix, what colour did you use for the commanders jacket? As I've got 25 dismounts to paint in my LCVP.

Thank you Ozzy. For all the figures - I used Humbrol's Acrylic Desert Yellow (No. 93) as the base coat. The usual recommended colour is Middle Stone but I didn't have any. A couple of places online suggest Desert Yellow as a good match but I reckoned it seemed a bit dark so, once the base coat was dry I gave it all a wash of very, very thinned Revell's Acrylic Gunship Grey - this gave it a slightly dusty appearance. Then I used a very thinned wash of Revell's Anthracite, applied with a fine pointed brush, into the the creases and around detail - straps, etc. Finally, to get a lighter appearance, I mixed some  neat matt Humbrol White with some neat Desert Yellow - which I then lightly dry-brushed over the raised detail. I was quite please with the result.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Awesome stuff Stix!  :clap2:

1 - It looks just right!  :thumbsup:

2 - Your M4A1 doesn't have a towing hitch either!  :yahoo:

Thank you very much Sarge! :thumbsup:

I've not done anything extra on Goldie but I have done some work on the base. It's been painted with thinned acrylic Revell's Earth. As I want the ground to look kind of wet and muddy in places wherever there are dips in the surface I have added some Klear first and then, once dry, dropped in some neat Humbrol Enamel Clear Gloss Varnish using a toothpick as an applicator. Hopefully once the green stuff and extra mud is in place they will look like puddles - a couple of views - one from each side:

26701458618_9c7d6077bb_b.jpg

26701460328_c9b8863ec2_b.jpg

More over the weekend I hope.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 9

On 02/03/2018 at 15:06, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Mucky (& therefore good)!  :D

I agree! Thank you Sarge. :thumbsup:

On 02/03/2018 at 17:07, Ozzy said:

Nice ground work Stix,

Thank you Ozzy. :thumbsup:

On 02/03/2018 at 17:23, fatfingers said:

Aye up stix.

Brilliant ground work :yes:

Regards.

Steve

Thank you Steve. :thumbsup:

On 02/03/2018 at 17:54, Robert Stuart said:

I like the puddles and you haven't overdone the gloss beyond them, that's looking good Stix

Thank you very much Robert. I did try to contain the gloss within the lower bits. It mostly worked but there's grass and mud still to go on - see below.:thumbsup:

On 02/03/2018 at 19:00, Hewy said:

I like it stix,  good job

Thank you Glynn. :thumbsup:

13 hours ago, wimbledon99 said:

Those faces look so real!!!!    :cool:

You are very kind Nigel! :thumbsup:

Bit more progress - start of the grass areas added using mixed turf:

25741027797_dc8fbb8400_b.jpg

38801750280_cbbdb76226_b.jpg

Next up I added some European Mud and Mud and Grass from Vallejo:

40611560321_a3347efe55_b.jpg

38801747650_728eb85fc5_b.jpg

I have also started work on a fourth figure from the Dragon set:

40611558131_873054edde_b.jpg

There's one more to make. I think I have an idea for the scene itself - more later.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 12

Aye up Stix.

That groundwork is really coming to life now some grass is down. Really looking forward to seeing it finished and also to see what wonders you work on the figure too. :yes:

Regards,

Steve

• Thanks 1

On 04/03/2018 at 14:32, fatfingers said:

Aye up Stix.

That groundwork is really coming to life now some grass is down. Really looking forward to seeing it finished and also to see what wonders you work on the figure too. :yes:

Regards,

Steve

Hi Steve - thank you and the base is almost complete:

39905959794_251c77513e_b.jpg

39721209655_fabf50bf87_b.jpg

EDIT - 09/03/18 - sorry - meant to mention that the tufts, Ivy and other greenery I added at this stage were from the Army Painter range.

Unfortunately by the time I'd got the Sherman attached to the base it was getting a little dark so the photos were too grainy - so I decided to just do one black and white version against one of my backdrops:

25746229197_77096df942_b.jpg

The other figure is almost built now so I may get this project finished next weekend - I just need to get the figures painted and add some finishing touches to the base.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 14

16 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Nice going Stix, I had to double take the last photo as I thought it was a reference picture.

You and me both Ozzy! 

That it blooming fantastic! :worthy:

Regards.

Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Me three!  :o

The only thing that gives it away really is the sllight float and deformation of the tracks.....That's bands for you!  :rolleyes:

Might it be worth trying to glue them to the first return skid to eliminate the former issue?  :hmmm: It's a tricky one, but you are the best judge of the strength of your running gear.....I've had to cop out of doing it myself as I'm fairly sure the Heller tracks will tear my puny UM bendy-brass skids straight off the bogey unit.  :unsure:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just catching up Stix,one of your best to date (and the bar is set pretty high),great work all round,love the decate paintwork on those figure's.

• Thanks 1

On 04/03/2018 at 19:16, Ozzy said:

Nice going Stix, I had to double take the last photo as I thought it was a reference picture.

Thank you Ozzy - I was quite pleased with the photo when I'd taken it. One of those lucky accidents. The lighting was so dark when I was trying to take the photos of the newly attached Sherman to the base that they were very grainy. So I decided just to do a couple in B&W and the above was the by chance result.

On 04/03/2018 at 19:35, fatfingers said:

You and me both Ozzy! 

That it blooming fantastic! :worthy:

Regards.

Steve

Thank you Steve - you are too kind!

On 04/03/2018 at 20:54, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Me three!  :o

The only thing that gives it away really is the sllight float and deformation of the tracks.....That's bands for you!  :rolleyes:

Might it be worth trying to glue them to the first return skid to eliminate the former issue?  :hmmm: It's a tricky one, but you are the best judge of the strength of your running gear.....I've had to cop out of doing it myself as I'm fairly sure the Heller tracks will tear my puny UM bendy-brass skids straight off the bogey unit.  :unsure:

Hi Sarge. Thank you for your comments and for the suggestion. I will see what I can do - I think it may be possible. If not gluing I might be able to wedge something between the tracks and sponsons and disguise them with the mud!!

On 05/03/2018 at 00:38, Robert Stuart said:

That base does look good Stix, what did you use for your tufts of grass?

Hi Robert. Thank you. All the tufts on this one are from the Army Painter range.

On 05/03/2018 at 11:12, Foghorn Leghorn said:

Geez, that's quite possibly one of the best armour models I've seen.

And the b&W pic ....:wow:

Hi Foghorn - you are waayyy too kind but thank you!

6 hours ago, wimbledon99 said:

Ditto that picture. Looks so real!!  :gobsmacked:

Thank you very much Nigel - too kind!

30 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Just catching up Stix,one of your best to date (and the bar is set pretty high),great work all round,love the decate paintwork on those figure's.

Hi Steve and thank you very much too. You are very kind.

Just one photo to show that I got the final figure assembled as well as a couple of other bits from the Dragon set. It's a bit grainy as I took it around about the same time I took the B&W photo above:

39724722475_35fd8389cf_b.jpg

I need to get the painting on these done and then put together the final bits of the scene - hopefully this weekend.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1