This One's Personal: 1/32 Tiger Moth

Sabrejet

The doors on DXT are the early type (82a) indicating that it was not fitted with a blind flying hood. Unless at some time it's been rebuilt to an earlier simpler specification.  It had a major crash at Christchurch in 1958 and was shown as damaged beyond repair.  It gave some major parts to a rebuild of G-ADWO in 1951 but this might be a misprint for 1961. . It has an early build number as G-ADXT (3436) and was BB860 ( impressed 1941) before returning to G-ADXT post war.

Mention has been made of the lower wing dihedral.  A problem with the Matchbox kit is that the main wing struts are too long thus making both wings appear to have the same dihedral. The top wings should be 2 deg.45 minutes,. The lower wings are 4 deg 30 min.

The main struts need to be cut down. I can't find my original drawing of the struts with all the dimensions on. The fullsize front strut is 56" and the rear strut is 57" long true length, surface to surface. I'd cut the rear strut to length and adjust the front strut to the model. in 1:32 scale this will be 44.5 mm and 45.25 mm. I think the incidence of the wings is a little out on the kit.

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for that John, very interesting indeed.  DXT was a beautiful Tiger Moth, I've got some good pictures of her up at Compton Abbas.  Terrible shame about her loss and very hard to understand exactly what happened.

• Like 1

Just caught up with this thread. Great work as usual.

As a matter of interest, can you post a cross-section pic of your struts as most pics of seen of the 'tube/ rod' method tends to be more oval but yous doesn't?

Stuart

Lovely detail. Watching with interest as I have one of the Matchbox ones. Also have the new Airfix 1/48th ones to build.

Couple of photo's of a 1/32nd model from the Newark show from 2008. Same as the one your building.

414420497.jpg

414420496.jpg

• Like 2

Really enjoying this build, thanks for sharing. Looking forward to more of the progress, it is very inspiring and informative.

I am a big fan of the Moth and intend to build another Matchbox kit to represent the one I had a trial flight in at Duxford. (50th B'day present from my lovely wife)

Incidentally, the model above, pictured at the Newark show, is mine. Hard to believe that was 12 years ago. She's still in the loft but the homemade decals have peeled off the wing and need replacing. Must get around to that one of these days.

Atb, Steve.