Hawker Fury propeller colour....

Artie

Hi all....any idea about the right color for an Hawker Fury propeller during the Munich Crisis...??? Right when they received a camouflage overpaint....

Black??? Dark grey??? Varnished wood???

TIA and best regards...

6 hours ago, Artie said:

Hi all....any idea about the right color for an Hawker Fury propeller during the Munich Crisis...??? Right when they received a camouflage overpaint....

Black??? Dark grey??? Varnished wood???

TIA and best regards...

Hello Artie,

Varnished wood ?? I bet on black, look

39307345142_3e8f41b901_b.jpg

I saw also some metallic on the Shuttleworth one but mostly, it's black AFAIK

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

Early Furies had varnished wood, around the mid 30s the props had a light to medium grey fabric over the blades, sometimes with the back of the blades (those facing the pilot) painted black. Blades were also painted in all black but this was probably around when the camouflage paint was added (so the the Munich crisis period) presumably to decrease the visibility of the machine. If is was me, I'd go for all black (most probable) or grey and black.

Edited by Smithy
Spelling

Thanks, really appreciate your help. I'm currently finishing an Airfix Fury Mk.I, and it will represent a camouflaged machine, as seen in the Mushroom Publications book. The colour profile there shows a wooden coloured propeller..however, it's just a colour profile, so no very trusty....

Cheers...

Artie,

Everything I have read has varnished wood, black, or grey-painted linen as a possibility for the props. I did find this photo which I think was taken in the time frame you are interested in; hard to tell for sure, but looks like varnished wood fronts with black on the rears. If you look at the leading Fury, it looks like the rear of the blades are very dark- maybe black? Best I can do, I'm afraid, especially as  color profiles seem to be the main reference source out there, and you know how unreliable they can be!

Mike

http://www.raf-in-combat.com/wpsite/wp-content/uploads/edd/2014/09/tn_Fury-28.jpg

that's a good photo for this topic. if you look closely at the lead a/c, the rear of the blade is very dark (black) and the front of the blade is much lighter, and as the sun is coming from behind the a/c, the front blade is in shadow, and still appears much light than the back of the blade that is in the sunlight.  Regards, Pete in RI

You're right...it seems the rear side were painted black...That pic is of great help. 

Now, the Fury is waiting for the rigging. I use Fender electric guitar string, nº 0.08, to be exact. My local music shop ran out of them, so must wait one month or so, until they restock the shop....just 0.12 and 0.10 in my stocks, wich seems too thick for an 1/48 scale plane...

Cheers....