Lego Saturn V

Day Six!

Bag #6 contains all the engine parts, as I said:

PIC_1043.jpg

This is what the base of the model looks like before any of the engine parts are added:

PIC_1054.jpg

Here are the parts that go to make up one of the outer engines:

PIC_1052.jpg

(The outer engines are gimballed so they can steer the vehicle, while the centre engine is fixed and uses alternatives to the two parts to the left of the black rod.)

When put together the engine looks like this:

PIC_1084.jpg

And with all the engines in place:

PIC_1063.jpg

PIC_1062.jpg

Fins and skirts added:

PIC_1073.jpg

And those final gaps plugged, and we're done!

PIC_1079.jpg

Tomorrow we begin assembly of the S-II second stage. This uses bags #7 to 10 so construction will run through to Wednesday. 

• Like 5

Day Seven, and with Bag #7 we begin construction of the second stage. Another humongous load of pieces here:

PIC_1088.jpg

As with the first stage, we begin with the central core. Assembly is similar but not identical - the S-II is a fair bit smaller and there's no intertank structure, as on the real thing the engineers managed to design a common bulkhead between the liquid oxygen and liquid hydrogen tanks, despite their wildly different temperatures.

So here's the main structure:

PIC_1089.jpg

As before there is plenty of internal cross-bracing to make the final result very strong.

PIC_1095.jpg

A close-up of the gubbins at the top:

PIC_1096.jpg

I'm really having a lot of fun with this build - possibly the most enjoyable part is building the various sub-assemblies and trying to work out what their eventual function will be when the model is complete. These two are easy:

PIC_1103.jpg

The red clips show that they will hold the third stage in place when it's attached.

And here they are in place:

PIC_1109.jpg

There will be two more clips on either side, but they're in the next bag.

I don't have a clue what these do!

PIC_1111.jpg

Even when they're fitted, their function is a mystery until some more parts are added.

This is the present stage of the build:

PIC_1121.jpg

And a quick look at the base before the engines go on (which isn't until Day Ten, Wednesday).

PIC_1114.jpg

• Like 5

I'm also thoroughly enjoying the build, although I don't have one of my own to build in any course, let alone due. :sad:

When It's done are you going to take it apart and use the bits to make a train set? :nod:

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Gorby said:

When It's done are you going to take it apart and use the bits to make a train set? :nod:

No, I'm going to take it apart and build it again!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gorby said:

I'm also thoroughly enjoying the build, although I don't have one of my own to build in any course, let alone due. :sad:

24 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

MODEL RAILWAY!!!!

Thanks, Gorby! One sure way to wind up Enzo is to use the expression 'train set'. Pavlov could have saved a fortune in dog food if he'd merely observed how Enzo instinctively replies by insisting it's a 'model railway'!

The fiver is in the post!

• Haha 3

DAY EIGHT

The contents of Bag #8:

PIC_1125.jpg

Before I get into the build, I have to comment on this piece:

PIC_1128.jpg

These markings appear on the side of the S-II stage which is adjacent to the launch tower. A high-speed camera is focused on them so that post-flight analysis can determine the exact moment that the vehicle began to move at launch. The fact that Lego have taken the trouble to print these markings shows how much care and attention to detail they have put into this model. If they had just supplied a plain white part I doubt one in a hundred builders would have noticed it.

Anyway, on with the build. The S-II has only a single cabling tunnel and the second phase of the construction starts with that.

PIC_1135.jpg

Those grey bars at the bottom will attach to the red clips at the top of the S-IC to hold the second stage firmly in place but allow it to be detached easily so you can play with it demonstrate the progress of the lunar mission. Here is the above part in position:

PIC_1136.jpg

And the upper half of the cable tunnel:

PIC_1143.jpg

And in position:

PIC_1151.jpg

As I said when discussing construction of the first stage, the national markings are not decals but are printed directly onto the parts - much neater. Here's the second side in place, complete with those first-motion stripes:

PIC_1155.jpg

Construction of the remaining two sides is identical (though the panel to the left of 'UNITED' is plain white) so here is everything in position up to the end of this build phase:

PIC_1157.jpg

The business end, showing the bars which will attach to the first stage clips:

PIC_1160.jpg

And though very little of the external skin is in place, I couldn't resist a test fit with the first stage:

PIC_1166.jpg   PIC_1169.jpg

Tune in again tomorrow - same Bat-time, same Bat-channel!

• Like 4

That was another thrilling episode Gordon. Although I'm amazed buy the original beast, I don't know a lot about it, so your explaining what the parts represent is very welcome.

And be reassured that there won't be another unfortunate faux pas about mentioning 'train set' again. If I was aware that there was anyone who was averse to the phrase 'train set' I would have refrained from mentioning 'train set' at all. In fact I will rip the keys that type 'train set' off my keyboard now, so that it will not be possible for me to use 'train set' ever again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My wonderful wife brought me a one of these for Christmas.  I was hoping for a nice quiet build, but with 2 daughters who love lego I've had to expand the workforce!

Bags 1 and 2 now done.  Bag 2 was great as there are 4 of everything, so we make one each (and even let my wife join in!). Bag 3 tomorrow am.

Easier than these blooming' plastic things! 

• Like 3

I started my mighty Saturn last night - I am on bag 3 and loving it while rustling those horrible crackle parts bags while the family try and watch the TV with me in the lounge while I brick bash.

Its worth every penny of the £80 I paid for the kit.

Highly recommended to any modeller whether interested in Lego or not - the subject is a true engineering legend.

• Like 1

How do you guys manage to spread the build out for so long?

I built mine in a single sitting, such was my enthusiasm to see the thing in all its glory.  Mind you I didn't get to bed until 3 in the morning.:o

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Aeronut said:

How do you guys manage to spread the build out for so long?

I built mine in a single sitting, such was my enthusiasm to see the thing in all its glory.  Mind you I didn't get to bed until 3 in the morning.:o

Willpower! I had the thing for about six weeks before I even opened the box!

Anyway, DAY NINE.

Contents of Bag #9:

PIC_1175.jpg

Today's build is undoubtedly the most straightforward of the lot - though it makes a huge difference to the model's appearance. Quite simply, it involves attaching lots of skin panels to a central spine, as shown:

PIC_1176.jpg

PIC_1183.jpg

This is done four times over and the assemblies are then attached to the model:

PIC_1188.jpg

And connected to the first stage:

PIC_1197.jpg

Tomorrow will complete the second stage, filling in the last gaps and adding the forward interstage and the engines. Then Thursday will see the construction of the S-IVB third stage and Friday the Apollo spacecraft itself.

• Like 3

Welcome to Day Ten, which will complete the construction of the S-II second stage. As usual we begin with the contents of today's parts bag:

PIC_1203.jpg

Not a lot here but what there is is quite repetitive as we are plugging the remaining gaps, creating the forward interstage and making the engines,

PIC_1206.jpg

These slot into the holes near the top of the stage, and are swiftly followed by four more. I wasn't paying enough attention here and failed to spot that the next batch are actually mirror images of these ones, so they didn't fit properly when I tried to install them. Good thing no glue is involved...

Next up is the forward interstage, which reduces the rocket's diameter to that of the third stage. This is really the first point where the model gets noticeably out of scale, but I stress I'm not complaining or blaming Lego for it - they've done an outstanding job and as always I stress that the parts they have included (whether or not they were specially designed for this particular model, and I have no idea either way) have to be compatible with everything else in the system. Anyway, here are the first parts of the interstage and how they look in position:

PIC_1211.jpg

PIC_1215.jpg

Different approach for the black areas:

PIC_1219.jpg

It would be remiss of me not to point out that the black and white pattern here is completely wrong. On the real thing it's like a binary pattern as you work around the circumference: upper and lower halves both black; just the upper in black; just the lower in black; both halves white. Again, though, this would have been impossible for Lego to reproduce without making this area of the model considerably weaker. But that completes the bodywork of the S-II and all that's left are the engines. These are a lot simpler than those of the first stage, just four parts to each one:

PIC_1221.jpg

If you're building this then make sure the white rod is pushed all the way into the pulley-like wheel that forms the lower half of the engine bell, otherwise it will fall off. And here are all five engines in position:

PIC_1226.jpg

One criticism of the Airfix Saturn V is that the second stage engines are spaced too far apart but Lego have got them spot-on here.

And finally, the first two stages in all their glory:

PIC_1243.jpg

Tomorrow it's Bag #11, which will build the S-IVB third stage. (Yes, that's right, the whole thing in one day.)

• Like 7

coming on good and mighty there

I'm still on bag 5 - made some mistakes somewhere in the process of adding the upright external pillars on the first stage while pretending I could combine watching top gear and do Lego at the same time. Cost me an hour of backtracking and correcting my build while Clarkson spent an hour dissing of Hammond on the telly which added to the entertainment on Tuesday night.

Lego + DAVE + Top Gear = a perfect evening in....

Good luck on the final stages of your mighty Saturn.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gimme Shelter said:

'm still on bag 5 - made some mistakes somewhere in the process of adding the upright external pillars on the first stage while pretending I could combine watching top gear and do Lego at the same time. Cost me an hour of backtracking and correcting my build while Clarkson spent an hour dissing of Hammond on the telly which added to the entertainment on Tuesday night.

That's one of the advantages of Lego - if you make a mistake it's easy to remove the bits and redo it properly, which you can't do if you've glued a part in the wrong place...

Anyway. Day Eleven, and the contents of Bag #11:

PIC_1247.jpg

Assembly of the S-IVB is completely different from the first two stages - it's much narrower so doesn't need the same amount of internal cross-bracing. So here are several photos showing some of the steps required:

PIC_1251.jpg

PIC_1255.jpg

PIC_1259.jpg

PIC_1263.jpg

PIC_1268.jpg

PIC_1272.jpg

Turning the model upside-down to work on the base:

PIC_1278.jpg

Adding these and two similar parts:

PIC_1283.jpg

PIC_1292.jpg

PIC_1296.jpg

And adding the engine:

PIC_1299.jpg

And just completing the top:

PIC_1308.jpg

And we're done!

PIC_1311.jpg

Here I've removed one of the black panels on the interstage to show how the red clips on the S-II hold the third stage securely in place. To separate them you just need to pull them firmly apart.

PIC_1320.jpg

Tomorrow will complete the model :frantic:with the assembly of the Apollo spacecraft. After which I'll probably take it apart and build it again!

• Like 6

coming on good - thanks for showing how the sections clip together as I was wondering about that - I managed to get through to the end of bag 6 last night - lower stage 1 section now completed with rockets and fins attached.

If I had the money, I would scratch build the launch tower as I intend to display mine upright next to the TV

Keep Calm and brick-bash on

DAY TWELVE

It seems like only yesterday that I learned of the existence of the Lego Saturn V, and was disappointed to find that it was out of stock on their website. There was no provision for placing an advance order, so I had to keep checking daily to see if it was for sale yet. Finally it became available again and I placed my order. It was delivered on 9 November, which was the fiftieth anniversary of the vehicle's first flight - it seemed appropriate. I could have built it there and then as a tribute but I'd already decided to keep it for Christmas, which I managed to do. So each day since then I've worked on one of the bags of parts, and today completes the project. And I've loved every step of it. I made a couple of mistakes along the way but as I said yesterday with Lego you can go back and do it properly and it doesn't show. As will be seen at some point in today's build...  :wub:

So here are the parts in Bag #12:

PIC_1324.jpg

As before I'm going to let the pictures speak for themselves, showing at each stage the progress thus far and the parts required for the next step,

PIC_1332.jpg

PIC_1337.jpg

I should point out here that the flat disc at bottom right is the wrong part - it should have been a ring, as I discovered later on whilst vainly hunting for this piece.

PIC_1342.jpg

That white cone is NOT the Command Module - it's actually the Boost Protective Cover, which was a shield that fitted over the CM and was jettisoned along with the escape tower.

PIC_1349.jpg

PIC_1352.jpgPIC_1357.jpg

CSM and LES complete! (That gap between the bottom of the Service Module and the engine nozzle is there for a reason...)

Parts for the Spacecraft/LM Adapter:

PIC_1361.jpg

And we're done!

PIC_1364.jpg

The beast in all its glory

PIC_1367.jpg

Actually we're not quite finished, because we haven't looked at the LM, or the actual Command Module. These have been built, but I'll post the photos later on.

• Like 7

As promised, the Lunar Module:

PIC_1372.jpg

PIC_1376.jpg

PIC_1379.jpg

That circular plate is the same one I fitted to the Service Module in error!

PIC_1383.jpgPIC_1389.jpgPIC_1390.jpg

Lego have printed the windows and hatch detail of the LM Ascent Stage onto the part!

PIC_1397.jpg

And the LM is complete!

PIC_1403.jpg

PIC_1399.jpg

Lego do supply a Command Module as well as the Boost Protective Cover, as well as a nice display for it alongside the Saturn V itself:

PIC_1407.jpg

Some nice detail printed here as well:

PIC_1412.jpg

After splashdown, awaiting recovery - complete with the inflatable bags that turned it the right way up, and the flotation collar:

PIC_1417.jpg

And how the spacecraft looked after separation from the S-IVB:

PIC_1421.jpg

• Like 3