1:200 Trumpeter Titanic 03713

Caerbannog

6 hours ago, sinnerboy said:

oooh, thanks for the heads up.

some goodies in 350th too, ie RN Cruisers, Scharnhorst :D

The RN cruisers are welcome, but the Scharnhorst will have to be really good to beat the Dragon kit.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
2 hours ago, Nocoolname said:

Released and available in stores! And I just went and bought one. Ooops!!!

Was it the Titanic you bought? If so, how does the rake of the bow look? There seemed to be some discussion about this when the first photos were seen.

Steve

19 hours ago, Nocoolname said:

Yes and don’t know yet as it’ll be days before it arrives. From the photos I’ve seen it looks fine 

Thanks! It's been a while since I looked online, and didn't realise there were a load of reviews and unboxings to be seen. Wow! It certainly looks like an amazing kit, and it's heartening that Trumpeter listened to the Titanic community....even crediting them on the box lid. That bodes well in my books.

Now, can I afford it and how the heck would I sneak that into the house?

Steve

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fightersweep said:

Thanks! It's been a while since I looked online, and didn't realise there were a load of reviews and unboxings to be seen. Wow! It certainly looks like an amazing kit, and it's heartening that Trumpeter listened to the Titanic community....even crediting them on the box lid. That bodes well in my books.

It looks amazing, especially with the light kit and not only is there a Mk.1 Design Super Detail set on its way (which blows everything away) there is even a set of resin figures depicting period clothing and various poses for the deck. It even includes a 'Jack & Rose' figure, which I'm tempted to build like this: 

IMG_1736

4 hours ago, fightersweep said:

Now, can I afford it and how the heck would I sneak that into the house?

I could afford it, but now I can't afford anything else so I'm going to have to eat the leather in my shoes and burn parts of my stash for fuel. 

As for sneaking the kit in, I'd suggest doing it in instalments. The interior boxes should be manageable and if you're stopped when trying to bring in the hull, just claim you bought a canoe. 

• Haha 8

I heard about the bow shape issue, so does above pic mean its OK or Wrong? I'm no nautical expert, far less Titanic!

Having said that, would consider this kit, how much are they going for in UK or imported to UK through usual places, Hannants, Wonderland ETC?

Finding room for it would be another problem of course, but if I'm only gonna build one large scale ship in my life, this probably would be the subject I'd choose.

5 hours ago, One 48 said:

I heard about the bow shape issue, so does above pic mean its OK or Wrong? I'm no nautical expert, far less Titanic!

Having said that, would consider this kit, how much are they going for in UK or imported to UK through usual places, Hannants, Wonderland ETC?

Finding room for it would be another problem of course, but if I'm only gonna build one large scale ship in my life, this probably would be the subject I'd choose.

It's fine. I am a Titanic aficionado and the original test shots as seen on display last year were subject to revision with the help of others, which is why the release was delayed. See below: 

IMG_2049

• Like 2

Was fascinated by the subject as a kid, quite literally studying down to the barest detail and got my first kit - the Revell 1/570 version - at the age of 8.

1170346-26866-49-pristine

Then got the much larger version released by Revell, for Christmas the following year. I picked up one of these from eBay a couple of years ago, complete with the same Beatties price tag that my original had and had intended to build this as my ultimate version (my original being long lost to the mists of time).

IMG_2050

I generally don't go for kits larger than 1m, my Tamiya Enterprise being the largest I had tolerated for some time until the draw of the 1/48 Type VII proved too much, but then 'hard sense' kicked in at the end of last year and I decided to trade down. But when the 1/200 Titanic was announced I just couldn't not get - and build - it. My programming just won't allow for anything else. Only thing stopping me from starting it this weekend is my desire to get the detail-up set first. There's no way I can't have it for something as amazing like this kit. If you're going big, go 'really' BIG!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, One 48 said:

Price ranges from £359-£399. Kit includes LED lighting kit and PE sets for main details including railings, benches and windows. A detail up set is available for $180 and takes what is already a stunning kit to a whole new level with 13 sheets of PE, brass detail parts and wooden decks. Highly recommended!

• Like 2

@Nocoolname

Thanks for the photo of the bow. It looks fine to me, and after watching a dozen or so reviews on the "Tube", I'm drooling for this kit now. Agreed on the detail up set. If you're going to invest in this kit at this price, then going the whole hog is a must. Must admit though, that I'm not particularly familiar with Trumpeter's photo etched stuff from a quality/detail point of view except for the seat belt frets from the 1/24 kits (which are a bit naff at best).

I want this kit now, but I'm going to have to cull the stash to raise the funds. Unless this kit is limited in anyway, which I don't think they usually are with Trumpeter, then hopefully I'll be able to pick one up a little later on. Only downside is that I cannot imagine how long it would take me to build this kit, and then the question of "is it going to need a display cabinet", because it's going to be a pig to dust once done!

Steve

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fightersweep said:

@Nocoolname

Thanks for the photo of the bow. It looks fine to me, and after watching a dozen or so reviews on the "Tube", I'm drooling for this kit now. Agreed on the detail up set. If you're going to invest in this kit at this price, then going the whole hog is a must. Must admit though, that I'm not particularly familiar with Trumpeter's photo etched stuff from a quality/detail point of view except for the seat belt frets from the 1/24 kits (which are a bit naff at best).

I want this kit now, but I'm going to have to cull the stash to raise the funds. Unless this kit is limited in anyway, which I don't think they usually are with Trumpeter, then hopefully I'll be able to pick one up a little later on. Only downside is that I cannot imagine how long it would take me to build this kit, and then the question of "is it going to need a display cabinet", because it's going to be a pig to dust once done!

Steve

The PE details that are supplied appear fine. The detail up set is being produced by Pontos as far as I know so I have no worries about accuracy on that front. From what I have seen they even provide complete ‘skins’ for the smoke stacks. 

• Like 1

@Nocoolname

That's great! Thanks for the info. Just means I want it even more now. Are you going to add extra lighting to all the portholes on the hull? The photos of it lit up look nice, but it looks odd not being lit up below the promenade decks. I would have to attempt it, despite this kit presenting my two "Kryptonite" hurdles: masses of photo etch and lots of wiring and electrics!

Steve

5 minutes ago, fightersweep said:

@Nocoolname

That's great! Thanks for the info. Just means I want it even more now. Are you going to add extra lighting to all the portholes on the hull? The photos of it lit up look nice, but it looks odd not being lit up below the promenade decks. I would have to attempt it, despite this kit presenting my two "Kryptonite" hurdles: masses of photo etch and lots of wiring and electrics!

Steve

Yes, I’m going the whole hog. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nocoolname said:

I’m also now thinking of building my Revell Titanic kit as the Olympic, possibly with Dazzle camouflage, to sit alongside my Lusitania and Great Eastern. 🙂

Is that the Revell kit in the photo box above? (Those boxes take me right back to the 80s 🙂 ) Always loved those Dazzle schemes. It would look amazing. Always wanted to build a ship model in this scheme, but was unsure of which subject to pick, then I got sidetracked by starting a 1/76 Maunsell sea fort scratch build. Ho hum!

Just now, fightersweep said:

Is that the Revell kit in the photo box above? (Those boxes take me right back to the 80s 🙂 ) Always loved those Dazzle schemes. It would look amazing. Always wanted to build a ship model in this scheme, but was unsure of which subject to pick, then I got sidetracked by starting a 1/76 Maunsell sea fort scratch build. Ho hum!

Yes, that’s the kit. I bought all the detail sets for it so it would be a shame to just leave them. The idea  for the build actually came from seeing photos of the 1/200 Trumpeter kit built in this style and it blew me away.

@Nocoolname

I bought a bunch of kits that I had as a kid, in all the right boxes. I can't bring myself to build them though as they have become my "childhood model shop/toy shop/newsagent" corner in my man cave. I can peruse the kits of my youth, and as I still only get 50p a week pocket money, pretend to buy them authentically. 🤣

Well, ordered one couple of hours ago from Emodels UK, £365 ish delivered ... gulp, moneys been taken, am sure they wont let me down, anxious wait though :)

This has got to be the most expensive Scale Model Kit I've bought in my entire life ... I must be mad :)

Think I'll go watch James Camerons Titanic ... I'm the King of the World!

1 hour ago, One 48 said:

This has got to be the most expensive Scale Model Kit I've bought in my entire life ... I must be mad :)

I thought that too, then thought about the potential build time and the parts count and it then all becomes seemingly good value. Still way cheaper than the Hachette 1/12 Routemaster that I'm currently working on as a side line 🙂

Steve

• Like 1