Aeroflot cream colour

Tony Whittingham

Hello all,

I’m planning on building a model of the Antonov An-2 that was seized at Pearls Airport, Grenada during the invasion. It’s a Russian registered aircraft and appears to be in a cream / tan over light blue. Unfortunately I don’t have information on the upper surfaces cream colour. If anyone has information regarding this colour ( Humbrol, FS, or RAL match), please let me know.

thanks,

Tony

Edited by Tony Whittingham
Correction to signature.

• 2 years later...

Sorry about untimely reply

I read this topic only yesterday.

And just because I was looking for a  information  on the color of the An-2, I was interested in what model paints on the west  paint An-2. But as I understand it's terra incognito.

O.K. Some theory.

On standard all An-2 on Soviet factory painting 

AGT-4 protect green & AGT-16 blueish-grey over primer AIIAL silver colour for  fabric (percale) & 138A red colour for aluminum.

Black was AMT-6.

AGT was gloss nitro cellulose 

enamel, but she may was exchanging on per chlorine vinyl enamel KhVE-4  protect green KhVE-16 blueish-grey, black was KhVE-25.  From 1961 name KhVE was exchanging on KhV. KhV-16 it's generally name type enamel, but colour KhV-16 was differences. In 1957 was 10 colour KhV-16, in 1983 was 31 colour KhV-16.

So full official

name 

On 12/27/2017 at 2:50 AM, Tony Whittingham said:

cream / tan

was probably

"KhV-16 beige" it's was colour close to RAL 1001 Beige as written on Scalemodels.ru on this topic:

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19608&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Equivalent AGT-16 / KhVE-16 for model paint

I'm looking,  because it's interesting me too. I suppose what AGT-16 blueish-grey use also as paint for experimental MiG, but it's only my suppose.

But not all clear with An-2 colour, because An-2 was licensed building in Poland.

In 1960 was license for Poland on An-2 with license for enamel. On 1964 in Poland was maked 50 license 

paint from 58 need for An-2 manufacturing, 8 was imported from USSR.

Next most interesting.

Poland manufacture retained only the name from the Soviet licenses, color, viscosity, solids, but did not take into application area of these paints.

As result anticorrosion primer AG-10  maked on factory Radom city in Poland did not protect against corrosion but caused corrosion itself!

Therefore, after a certain time, An-2 in Poland began to be painted with epoxy enamels of its own production, which solved all the problems.  But the colors and brands of these enamels are not known to me.

Total.

For painting An-2 was:

- Soviet enamel;

- Poland enamel on Soviet name standard;

- Poland original enamel.

Also, as I think, for export contracts may use other (including West manufacturing) enamel.

B.R.

Serge

Edited by Aardvark
  • Like 1