Recommend me an airbrush for spraying varnish only! Please..

degsye39

Hi hope everyone had a decent Christmas.

Im having issues with my tub of galeria matt varnish and vallejos matt varnish, I just cant seem to get them down without brushmarks, So im hoping a basic airbrush set to spray these with might solve my issues?

Im more than happy with using a hairy stick so far its just the final matt coat, Grrrr! :swear:

Im looking at revell set 39199..  Seems to be fairly priced.

Would i be best with something like the above or would a single action cheapo airbrush do the job...The airbrush will be strictly for varnish!

Cheers gents and all the best! :yes:

The Revell set 39199 is an ok starter airbrush and it will do the job but I'm not sure the extremely basic compressor is up to much and once you start using the airbrush you wont want to go back to brush for anything other than detail work. 

I got started with this https://www.emodels.co.uk/sparmax-arism-mini-kit-snow-white-c-ar-mini-kit-white.html set up it cost a bit more but is way better and will give you far better options going forward, I've still got mine and it works perfectly strangely I now use it mostly for clear coat/varnish work.  Very well made, easy to clean, unfortunately you can't just change needle and nozzle to get size changes 0.4 - 0.2 etc but even with 0.4 you can get 90% of what you need.  Once you've mastered it you'll soon be looking to up grade to something higher spec and you can still use the compressor. 

Edited by Kev The Modeller
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

IMHO, a decent starter option is one of the kits with an as186/tc80 compressor with 3L tank, and an Iwata-copy brush (mostly Veda 130). While the airbrush is not a patch on the Iwata that it's a copy of, they're actually pretty decent, and more than good enough for most things. Mine is the Bartsharp one, but there are a number of other brandings. The mechanism on mine is a bit scratchy, but the needle is surprisingly good. Just keep the seals away from hot solvents - not a problem if you just want to spray vallejo varnish. The good thing is that the compressor and tank are something you can continue to use even if you later want to upgrade your airbrush.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Gents thank you for the replies and assistance! Much appreciated.. Ive not finished anything else yet! need a kit to varnish! :lol:

Im going to try brushing on some revell aqua color clear matt.. If that goes to the wall i'll be looking into getting one of the above, Many thanks!