A simple assembly comparation: my new and old Tamiya Matilda tank versions

Carius

Hi folks, many years separates one assembly from the other. So, it´s very easy to see the weathering techniques differences that I used in both kits.

The Matilda 35024 model is one of Tamiya’s older kits made in 1973, I think. The detail level is basic, typical of the earlier Tamiya kits like the vintage Tiger IE 34056, Sherman M4A3E8 35018, Hunting Tiger 35058, the T-34 series, etc, etc, etc. The hull dimensions are not accurate due the old Tamiya´s idea of motorizing their kits. So, the kit have many omissions and mistakes, but for many decades was the only one available in “1/35” scale, until the production of the new Tamiya 35300 Matilda Mk.III/IV kit.

Well, I build this kit in 1999 and at that time I only used Eduard photo-etched detail set and Jordi Rubio metal barrel. Painted with Tamiya XF-60 dark yellow. Hand made german crosses. This depics a captured Matilda by AK;

t8Q3PRL.jpg

0cNGolq.jpg

SA63PKs.jpg

Emgw1Gd.jpg

The Tamiya Matilda 35300 released in 2009 is an all new tooled kit, have the double of the number of parts of the 35024 model and excellent details: superb surface textures and parts fit, more delicately detailed parts and correct dimensions. It is a GREAT kit in all terms, indeed.

Like in the previous kit, I added only a photo etched detail set and metal barrels, from Voyager Model (35300) and Lion Mark. This depics a Matilda of the 7.RTR:

ZOcV04a.jpg

qqLd8la.jpg

hV4uEYo.jpg

8mKCLq2.jpg

iQaxICr.jpg

In fact I have another ancient Matilda tank from Tamiya, build OOB in 1994 or 1995, I think, with wrong CS camo, but with many falts, including a wrong mantlet for desert war. However it looks good...

Thanks for looking...

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Although the first is not bad, despite everything, the second wins by a landslide !. The weathering finish is superb, and it is also accompanied by the knowledge that it is a kit with an excellent design accuracy. :goodjob:

I like a lot, Merry Chritsmas and Happy New Year, cheers Cesar :santa:

16 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Great looking pair of Matilda’s :thumbsup: I like the camouflage and weathering on the second one.

Thanks, the second is my most recent build.

14 hours ago, Murdo said:

They both look extremely tired and beaten about. Love it!

Many thanks, this was the goal...look tired of war

13 hours ago, celt said:

A great pair of Matildas,:goodjob:well tidy mun.

Thank you so much.

3 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Great job on both of them , but for me the second ones stands out.

John.

I agree with you :) John

3 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Although the first is not bad, despite everything, the second wins by a landslide !. The weathering finish is superb, and it is also accompanied by the knowledge that it is a kit with an excellent design accuracy. :goodjob:

I like a lot, Merry Chritsmas and Happy New Year, cheers Cesar :santa:

Thanks Francis. Happy New Year my friend :cheers:.

Both are superb models but the second shows how your modelling/painting/weathering skills have developed! The second demonstrates a real mastery of the art! :worthy::worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix