1/48 - Fairey Albacore by Trumpeter - released

Homebee

4 minutes ago, Zagor said:

Is something wrong with Special Hobby kit,

to explain your excitement over Trumpeter Albacore?

Or is is just fear of "buildibility" of  SH short run kit vs. new tool Trumpeter?

In a word 'yes'.

The one Special Hobby kit I've built wasn't a particularly enjoyable experience. I know their newer kits are supposed to be better, but, once bitten... 

1 hour ago, Zagor said:

Is something wrong with Special Hobby kit,

to explain your excitement over Trumpeter Albacore?

Or is is just fear of "buildibility" of  SH short run kit vs. new tool Trumpeter?

I've seen quite a few built up, they looked okay to me. Also built one myself and don't recall any problems that you wouldn't expect in a short run kit. Certainly was much improved over their early releases, and if the Trumpeter kit results in some Special Hobby examples  being Ebayed for reasonable prices I'd happily get another.

Paul.

• Like 2

It's certainly a tempting prospect.  I had a Special Hobby kit but sold it on when in a rage against all things biplane!  null   Hope Trumpy make a good job of it.

• 1 month later...
On 12/28/2017 at 5:34 PM, Mike said:

I hope this one's a good'un, done by their "getting it right" department (good track record with FAA TBH) as I've always fancied one of these ^_^

I'm not an expert or a rivet counter, but I think there are threads out there that raise a few issues with their Supermarine Attacker and De Havilland Sea Hornet...

The real reason Trumpeter are releasing an Albacore is, of course, because I've recently finished the Special Hobby one... 

It's not a bad kit - but I'm glad I had Tony O'Toole's magazine article to help me along the way and point out a few of the problems in advance. 

Nick.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I truely welcome this release, SH Albacore was a pig of a kit, Trumpeter Firefly is leap ahead of SH one( aside from prop blades), hopefully they will release Fulmar and Barracuda as well...

Edited by Thomas V.
  • Like 1

Now a Barracuda would be interesting... I've got three Special Hobby ones in the stash, at least one of which I'm about to start on.

The Special Hobby Fulmar is fine - it builds into a very nice model and there were no major vices that I can recall.

Will I be able to resist a Trumpeter Firefly? I've built the Grand Phoenix one, which was challenging in places. The thought of one that goes together easily is tempting...

Nick.

On 6/12/2018 at 11:14 AM, Nickthebrief said:

I'm not an expert or a rivet counter, but I think there are threads out there that raise a few issues with their Supermarine Attacker and De Havilland Sea Hornet...

The real reason Trumpeter are releasing an Albacore is, of course, because I've recently finished the Special Hobby one... 

It's not a bad kit - but I'm glad I had Tony O'Toole's magazine article to help me along the way and point out a few of the problems in advance. 

Nick.

I`m very glad that it came in useful!!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

I too have that excellent article stashed ready for future construction. If I recall the most pressing problem was that without correction the canopy was narrower than the fuselage opening!

• Like 1

On 12/28/2017 at 5:45 PM, Gorby said:

How am I supposed to reduce my stash if model companies keep unveiling these wondrous things?

Build faster than you buy! I know that is a paradox but on paper it makes sense.

Duncan B

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Duncan B said:

Build faster than you buy! I know that is a paradox but on paper it makes sense.

Duncan B

Therein lies the rub...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, neilh said:

I too have that excellent article stashed ready for future construction. If I recall the most pressing problem was that without correction the canopy was narrower than the fuselage opening!

You're right Neil - all the interior bulkheads, the instrument panel etc that run across the fuselage need sanding down a bit so that the cockpit opening is made a bit narrower and fits the glazing - it's certainly not difficult if you know to do it in advance!

I found the two innermost struts between the wings were a bit short, but otherwise I enjoyed building it.

As biplanes go it's not a bad one to do as there is the solid attachment of the upper wing onto the top of the glasshouse - no fiddling about with cabane struts (I think that's the right word) and only six interplane struts...

i added a spar to strengthen the attachment of the lower wings too.

Nick.

• Like 2

Thanks Nick- good tips.  I am grateful for companies like Special Hobby that produce kits of these more obscure subjects, but sometimes just wish Tamiya would cover a few of them! I recall how easy the wing fit was on the Storch  - another one where the wings fit straight to the canopy.

The Firefly is reviewed on HS today. Doesn't augur that well for the Albacore... Only advantage may be better buildability if done SOTB. Quoted price is very high, but my preferred current kit supplier actually sells them at a € less than the SH Is.

• 1 month later...