1/72 - Tupolev Tu-22K "Blinder-B" by Trumpeter - released

Homebee

On 6/4/2019 at 2:58 PM, general melchett said:

Not for this version, the Libyans and Iraqis used the Tu-22B and a few U/UD trainers. These were downgraded export versions of the aircraft. This kit represents the missile carrying K/KD version that was only used by the Soviet Union (later, Russia and Ukraine, following the split up)...Hopefully, someone will release the earlier bomber (and many reconnaissance variants) along with the U/UD trainers at some point. Personally, I'd particularly like to see an RDK.

Does it look like they could dp those versions with the parts layout?

On 5 June 2019 at 3:40 AM, peterburns said:

What are cracker markings?

Dragons and mermaids.

And written using predictive text, so it looks to be a supper kitten.

Agree that a recce derivative would be a super kit too

Tony

The noses are entirely different.

This is the missile-carrying K/KD variant with a bigger radome..... as kitted by Trumpeter and Modelsvit.....

spacer.png

This is the earlier 'bomber' variant as supplied to Libiya/Iraq - note the slimmer radome...

spacer.png

(It's actually an RDM - but it illustrates the radome shape well).

I photographed them at Engels in 2007 - I also did a close-up of the writing on the RDM....

spacer.png

... and the 'sharkmouth' on the PD.....

spacer.png

spacer.png

Ken

Not sure why Trumpeter decided to include shark mouths for their K/KD, maybe simply 'coz it looks good'...however as Ken's photos of '46 Red' clearly show these were applied to a PD, a different variant. The same goes for '41 Red', another similarly marked PD.

Image scanned from an old magazine.

1-img049.jpg

One other variant that can be modelled from the kit is the KPD air defence suppression (Wild Weasel) version, though apart from a few lumps and bumps it's hardly distinguishable from a standard KD. 

Hopefully, Trumpeter will consider releasing the other variants in the future.

2 hours ago, general melchett said:

Not sure why Trumpeter decided to include shark mouths for their K/KD,

As you said, because it looks cool.  Kind of ironic that they're featuring it in the box art, actually, since they're hoping it will sell kits, while plenty of modellers will see it as a big red flag.  They probably ripped off the Italeri decal sheet without knowing/caring that it's from a different variant.  Or whatever Yefim Gordon (or 4+) book they got the drawings they'll have based the kit on.  Trumpeter isn't really big on deep-dive research, from my personal experience.

Trumpeter isn't really big on deep-dive research, from my personal experience.

Very true, though I seriously doubt it'll be from a Yefim Gordon publication...otherwise they would get it right off the bat. The box art also has a spot of artistic license going on with a fictitious white section on the undercarriage fairing, sometimes I'm not sure what the artists are actually given to look at. Of course, it's far more important what's in the box rather than what's on it, but the box art is usually the first thing you see when looking to buy the thing. others can manage it perfectly well, so why not Trumpy? Oddly the original catalogue image shows the correct variant and is labelled 'Tu-22K Blinder B bomber' rather than 'Soviet Tu-22 'Blinder' Tactical Bomber'!

Edited by general melchett

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Picked one up in Tokyo yesterday and just finshed a quick eyeball comparison with Modelvits Blinder.

Basic shape and dimensions seem to match up ie wing size, shape etc.

id say from a Mk1 eyeball perspective its a solid kit.

The coke bottle effect is more subtle tham Modelsvit.

General detail is better on Modelsvit ie variety in panel lining, detail with scoops etc.

Engineering is easier on Trump kit by some margin, two entire fuse halves etc.

Trump has better clear parts.

Overall seems like a decent purchase that will build into a slightly less detailed Blinder than Modelsvit but give a far easier build due to the non multi part fuselage and no warping etc prevalent in the MV kit.

Have not tried fitting the Barracuda stuff but id be using the engines and wheels for sure.

Paid 8800Â¥?

• Thanks 1

Thanks Darren, sounds interesting and I must say I like the idea of separate flaps, optional lowered crew hatches and tail-cones all in one box. I have extra AM sets for the MV kit including the Amigo RD-7M engine set as well as Equipage and Armory wheels so it'll be interesting to see if these would fit Trumpy's effort. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...