1/72 - Tupolev Tu-22K "Blinder-B" by Trumpeter - released

Homebee

In terms of accuracy I bet the Modelsvit kit is way better, but the fit might be better on the Trumpeter kit. I have the Modelsvit kit and won't even think of getting this... even if it was cheaper.

• Like 1

I guess that depends what you mean by 'short run quality'.  It's far better than an old High Planes, MPM or Classic airframes kit.  But it's still a noticeable step down from mainstream injection molded - say your typical Airfix or Italeri kit.  The parts will need a little more cleanup - edges aren't as smooth and drafts seem a little heavier. That also means the details aren't as sharp, so some detail parts feel a little crude  And fit isn't as precise, so you'll need to do quite a bit of trimming, shaving and test fitting to get everything to fit the way they should.  It's probably closer to a Kitty Hawk or Special Hobby kit, but with rougher edges.

Not that it's in any way *bad*.  It's very buildable, and very accurate.  But it's definitely a more 'hands-on' build than the Trumpeter kit will be - for all their accuracy faults, their kits do fit together pretty easily.  If you're the type of modeller who likes the build process, or are a stickler for accuracy, then yeah, the Modelsvit kit is great.  If you're the type of modeller who suffers through building so you can paint or weather and you don't really care about accuracy, then there will be some obvious benefits to the Trumpeter kit.

All that being said, the Trumpeter kit will likely sell for $100 - 150, while it's easy to find the Modelsvit kit for $50, so Trumpeter definitely have to prove their worth. And hopefully this will prompt Modelsvit to push up the release of their bomber variant (I want export Blinders, darnit!)

• Like 1

In terms of short run, I would put Modelsvit very near to the top.. Check out Ken's (Flankerman's) new WIP on the T-10, a superb kit, and well worth the £30 price tag. They do need a bit of extra work than mainstream kits, but when the subject is rare in any scale it is well worth the extra work (for me at least) to put into them. I've no doubt the Trumpeter kit will be nice going off their previous Soviet Bombers, but unless Trumpeter release a two seater and Modelsvit don't, I will stick to Modelsvit.

(Nothing against Trumpeter btw - I love their kits)

It will be interesting to see this kit when it's out though... (I'm still after the Tu-22M2 & M3)

Trumpeter: disappointment begins 10 seconds after opening the box

Amodel and Modelsvit: disappointment begins 10 seconds after you heard they have a second, better tool now (you bought the first, bad monster)

:D

Cheers,

Thomas (with about 60 of them three)

• Haha 1

• 5 months later...
On 12/29/2017 at 8:05 AM, Caerbannog said:

It would not actually surprise me if Trumpeter has the Modelsvit kit as well...

Regarding accuracy I think their soviet bombers were quite good - not that I am an expert or have any of the kits, it is just my memory from the reviews.

Trumpeter does not seem to look at competitors kits, not even to validate or 2nd opinion their own work, they could have checked their own B.P defiant against the airfix but instead trumpeter released a complete botched job, Very strange of them .

TBH, I'd prefer if they would release these big bombers in some intermediate scale (like 1/48 for fighters) as the 1/72 is pretty huge while 1/144 is on the other hand almost too small. Perhaps 1/100 or something..

On 5 January 2018 at 3:49 PM, replicant said:

Trumpeter: disappointment begins 10 seconds after opening the box

Amodel and Modelsvit: disappointment begins 10 seconds after you heard they have a second, better tool now (you bought the first, bad monster)

:D

Cheers,

Thomas (with about 60 of them three)

Morning!

I currently have a Trumper Thud in build which, apart from the excessive rivets, is a great kit. It may have inaccuracies but it looks right and is better than anything else out there. I have built Modelsvit - a Su-7 - and it was a joy to build, as I reported at the time in my RFI. I have a Modelsvit Su-22 in the pile and that looks fantastic!

Martin

On 11/07/2018 at 09:37, RidgeRunner said:

Morning!

I currently have a Trumper Thud in build which, apart from the excessive rivets, is a great kit. It may have inaccuracies but it looks right and is better than anything else out there. I have built Modelsvit - a Su-7 - and it was a joy to build, as I reported at the time in my RFI. I have a Modelsvit Su-22 in the pile and that looks fantastic!

Martin

Hello Martin!

Yes, Modelsvit Su-7 and Su-17/22 are absolutely the best in any scale today to me. The Mig-21F became a ModellFan Model of the Year 2018! The Modelsvit Tu-22 is very good, has issues, is not easy to build. And yes, the second issue, Tu-22KDP got changes for the wings. The late very expensive Be-6 and the F-106 from Trumpy were a bit disappointing for me so they have to wait.... So i am curious, what the USP of a Trumpy Shilo will be....

Cheers,

Tom

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I am hoping Trumpeter would revamp their 1/72 Tupolev/Xian Tu-16/H-6 kits.I know these are their early kits but with hundreds of Tu-16s in their backyard,I honestly don't understand why they made those silly mistakes found in the kits.I think Trumpeter should invest in one of the LIDAR thing.Hopefully they will get it right this time.As for Tu22,I will wait for future reviews on it.At the moment I am staying away from it.

• Like 1

Great to see another 1/72nd Blinder, hopefully up to the standard of the Tu-160 and Tu-22M3, both very presentable and fun builds with only minor gripes (only my own opinion). Just an observation with the decals though...the kit's listed as a Tu-22K but as far as I'm aware only a few of the PD variant wore shark-mouths, not the missile carrying K/KD/KDPs, (aircraft '45 Red' and '41 Red' on the sheet were both PDs) same goes for the 121st Gvtbap bird of prey carrying a sheep badge (decal 2, a one-off applied to a PD). As an aside the red written inscriptions were mostly applied after the aircraft had been sent to Engels prior to scrapping, some were not very complimentary due to the notorious reputation of the beast with both air and ground crews.

Authentic Decal cover the Blinder in sheet 72-75 and Trumpeter seems to have used the same schemes as blanket coverage for their K even though the AD decals are clearly marked for KD/PD/RD and U variants, all very different versions. They've also opted for the SSEP housing either the earlier SPS-100 Rezeda-A or later SPS-151/152/153 Siren-D jammers rather than the earlier PRS-3 radar and DK-20 tail barbette with its twin R-23 canons depicted on the box art, best check references if you're interested in accuracy. Must admit I'm more than happy with the Modelsvit kit but it'll be interesting to see what Trumpeter has done with this, one of my favourite aircraft. 

• Like 2

I hope they do the Libyan camouflage version too.

Not for this version, the Libyans and Iraqis used the Tu-22B and a few U/UD trainers. These were downgraded export versions of the aircraft. This kit represents the missile carrying K/KD version that was only used by the Soviet Union (later, Russia and Ukraine, following the split up)...Hopefully, someone will release the earlier bomber (and many reconnaissance variants) along with the U/UD trainers at some point. Personally, I'd particularly like to see an RDK.