1/48 - Yakovlev Yak-28P "Firebar" & Yak-28PP "Brewer-E" by Hobby Boss - Yak-28P & PP released

Homebee

In 2018-2019, Hobby Boss is to release 1/48th Yak-28 kits

- ref. 81767 - Yakovlev Yak-28P "Firebar"

- ref. 81768 - Yakovlev Yak-28PP "Brewer-E"

Why no Yak-28I and Yak-28R variants as with the P they were the most produced types.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/TrumpeterModel/photos/ms.c.eJxFkdGRRTEIQjvaUVGj~;Te2czHmfTJROJhWQVhLnOo~_8tefdtVWg5Zdbfm9F3w0kOaR0Xr1Eeo4d16KWnu0VY~;~;zjfol3cewjzrmwcbHpfV~;vmlYPMP5yN3nzxp6w8M3~;I6~_Vt9~_3Bf8~_5bkz~_xPDH5uvk6~;rr~_ciZv74Wk3~_vv8b37735GHom9j7P~;4y~;6xet7gv20lof3anl8xXdcPyTvW~_8~;qumHWp7J0~;wHK7NkWQ~-~-.bps.a.910352652456662.1073742118.103526326472636/910353332456594/?type=3&theater

Yak-28.jpg

V.P.

MattMemory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 2

I think there's a good chance they will be one and the same especially as they selected the Yak-28PP Brewer E  (ECM) version. Hopefully, the Brewers will include decals for late camouflaged aircraft. I'm also hoping for a Yak-28R, (my favourite variant), but to be honest any of the twin-engined Yak machines is very welcome in quarter scale.

• Like 2

I wonder if the cooperation will extend to the Il-28 that had been announced when Bobcat was still Xuntong.

And what about the Tupolev SB which had already reached test shot stage? One cannot but hope.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bonehammer said:

I wonder if the cooperation will extend to the Il-28 that had been announced when Bobcat was still Xuntong.

Hope...

Up until now there's no evidence the future Trumpeter "Firebar" and "Brewer-E" are the Bobcat kits.

Would be rather logical but time will tell.

V.P.

On 27/12/2017 at 09:43, 71chally said:

Does seem an odd release given the Bobcat kits out there.  If it's a reboxing of their kits that will be great news, especially on the availability front.

Yes, a quick search of Hannants stock, reveal they still have a goodly quanity of them.

Thomo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid
  • Like 1

On 28/12/2017 at 12:10, The Tomohawk Kid said:

Yes, a quick search of Hannants stock, reveal they still have a goodly quanity of them.

Thomo.

Yes at +/- 140% of the price you can obtain this kit in Asia, P&P included...

This could be the explanation - with the fact it's a rather unkown a/c type - why big H still has a good quantity of them in stock. 

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

On 12/27/2017 at 4:43 AM, 71chally said:

Does seem an odd release given the Bobcat kits out there.  If it's a reboxing of their kits that will be great news, especially on the availability front.

Trumpeter/HobbyBoss have a habit of releasing kits of subjects  just released by other companies. Surely it was no coincidence that Academy's releases of the Graf Spee, Warspite, and USS Indianapolis in 1/350 were mirrored shortly thereafter by releases from Trumpeter.

On ‎28‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 11:44 AM, Homebee said:

V.P.

Perhaps but by importing a kit, you run the risk of falling foul of H M Revenue and Customs by getting stung for 20% VAT and, Royal Mail handling charges on top of that. Could easily wipe out any saving you make by buying overseas.

Allan

• Like 1

On 28/12/2017 at 11:44, Homebee said:

V.P.

I was just pointing out they are still a available in the UK, not commenting if they were VfM or not.

Thomo.

On 30/12/2017 at 08:29, Albeback52 said:

Perhaps but by importing a kit, you run the risk of falling foul of H M Revenue and Customs by getting stung for 20% VAT and, Royal Mail handling charges on top of that. Could easily wipe out any saving you make by buying overseas.

Allan

One does not get stung for VAT, it is a legitimate charge in Blighty, one may have views on the PF or RM handling fees but there is nothing wrong with VAT. If  one is savvy you should always ask for the local VAT to be removed when ordering outside the EU.

Thomo.

3 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

Allan

In reality most Asian vendors will under declare the product value and do so as a matter of course (i.e. without one asking). Whether you think that's right or not is another matter, but it's what they do.

Jon

Edited by Jon Bryon
  • Like 1

By the looks of these they're not the bobcat molds, these have wing fences the bobcat didn't, and there is no recess runninng down the spine of the fuselage to represent the canopy sliding rail, so they maybe all new

Glynn 

Yak-28P. Definitely two different models - see pictures herebelow.

And a first look at the details and shapes let me to consider the Bobcat kit as being way ahead.

Bobcat

010_1.jpg

HobbyBoss
43252313.jpg

Looking forward the release of the future Bobcat 1/48th Il-28 "Beagle" family...

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 3

Agreed w Homebee, in those those photos Trumpeter seems rather heavy handed in comparison to the Bobcat.

IMHO, the "Trump"-y engine fairing seem crudely shapes and incorrect, and the way the wing looks simply bolted onto the side of the body rather than the aerofoil shape the Bobcat kits has.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0b/Jak-28r-08.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, j-fever said:

In your link is a picture from the Yak-28R "Brewer-D" (bort: 91 blue, c/n 8961310) preserved at Finow (D)

https://www.16va.be/galeries_vvs/after_the_battle_survivors/imgcol/imgcol_7/_00008.html

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, j-fever said:

IMHO, the "Trump"-y engine fairing seem crudely shapes and incorrect, and the way the wing looks simply bolted onto the side of the body rather than the aerofoil shape the Bobcat kits has.

I really don't know anything about the Yak-28, but I'm trying to decide which model to buy.

By comparing to this photo of the recon variant, HB's wing attachment doesn't look THAT bad though it's hard to tell from these angles. 

On the other hand, the Bobcat front top edge of the wing seems to be too close to the canopy? Also, these humps on the wings from these huge antennas or whatever they are seem to match the HB one (though it's a photo of the recon variant rather than the interceptor depicted by models, so not sure if that's a difference between the variants).

photo_ru_yak-28_1.jpg

Edited by Dudikoff
  • Like 2

I noticed this too. But different  photographs have different appearances.  Which one is right?

Sorry to say, Hobbyboss is not known for their accuracy.

This could drive  a person nut's!

Edited by B.sin

Difference? Dudikoff picture is from the Yak-28R (Bort 45y) "Brewer-D" prototype. Take care Yak-28P/PM "Firebar" interceptor and Yak-28R/BI/PP "Brewer" tactical bomber & recce a/c have different front fuselages.

See herebelow a Yak-28P Firebar. Not exactly the same a/c type isn't it ? 

Jak-28_P_proto_04_1.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

On 09/10/2018 at 18:48, Dudikoff said:

I really don't know anything about the Yak-28, but I'm trying to decide which model to buy.

By comparing to this photo of the recon variant, HB's wing attachment doesn't look THAT bad though it's hard to tell from these angles. 

On the other hand, the Bobcat front top edge of the wing seems to be too close to the canopy? Also, these humps on the wings from these huge antennas or whatever they are seem to match the HB one (though it's a photo of the recon variant rather than the interceptor depicted by models, so not sure if that's a difference between the variants).

If you focus on the r/h wing you can see how smooth the engine nacelle blends into the wing l/e. This is nicely captured by Bobcat, whereas HB's rendering is much more 'bulgy' (?) in this area. 

• Like 1

I pretty much agree with Dudikoff on both accounts, the front of wing is rather too close to the canopy on the Bobcat and the wing "spikes" also look better on the HB one, see the photo below. I also think that the wing fence looks higher and better shaped on the HB, and also the nose cone of HB looks slightly better, the real one is noticeably more conical, the bobcat has it a little too "bulgy".

Yak-28P+(Firebar)+5.jpg

Worse on the HB is indeed the engine nacelle to wing areas, and perhaps the wings to fuselage joint line, it's almost parallel to the spine/fuselage, on the real thing there should be more of an "angle of attack". So to me both have rather obvious faults, just by these photos, it's difficult to say which one is better shaped.

By the way, it seems to me that you guys are not interested in armour,  where it's much more common to see Trumpeter release the same subjects as other manufacturers, what can I say, they love competition. No, they just love to make money.  Rather ironically, HB/Trumpeter is definitely the Tamiya of China... I mean by the company size and the huge number of products, so they wouldn't mind to share the market on many subjects, where smaller companies with only a few products would take a blow by the competing products. I think  this is a move to kill off a small company like Bobcat.

Edited by delide
  • Like 2