1/32 - Consolidated B-24D & J Liberator by Hobby Boss - released - CWS seamless turrets

Homebee

Yet another model were the maufacture think that aircraft skins are held on by rivets only around the edge of the panel 🙄 They've got it reasonable good on thr bomb bay doors, so what wrong with the rest of the airframe? If they are going to add rivet holes then it would be nice to at least have them in a believable pattern especially in this scale.

Edited by Tbolt

6 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Engines are poor for 1/32 scale.

Yes and no... If the were ‘better’ then the kit would cost more and folk would honk at the price.

once painted and installed what they give you will look ok in the context of a very large aircraft where the focus is probably not what’s in the cowlings. Plus inevitably the AM will produce a heap of ad ons: resin wheels brass mg barrels PE cockpit sets and engines etc etc...

The kit looks ok to me built competently OOB it will be a large and impressive model. With AM and a rivet job even more so...

• Like 2

I confess I quite like an approach where the manufacturer gets the basic shapes right and keeps the detailing to a budget that's affordable for most. Then the am boys can come along and we can add as much or as little as our fancy and budgets dictate.

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, JohnT said:

I confess I quite like an approach where the manufacturer gets the basic shapes right and keeps the detailing to a budget that's affordable for most. Then the am boys can come along and we can add as much or as little as our fancy and budgets dictate.

Yes that's the best way to do things to keep the price down as long as they do get the shape right...

• Like 2

That looks like junk. Turrets split down the middle, 1970s relief engines, completely naff surface detailing.

It'll be saveable with £40 worth of resin engines, £100 worth of Eduard photo etch of which most wont be used but a load of plastic scratchbuilding will be to mount PE levers on and scratch built reengineering of the nacelles to mount the engines on new firewalls and sort exhausts, turbochargers etc.

This kit would be considered "of its time" if you put it in a tattered box with a Monogram logo under a wing root.

Competently built OOB, it will be a superficial model at best. It will draw attention then disappoint once attention is gained and the viewer sees that there's nothing much worth admiring once getting over the fact that it's big.

Well, if you want a 1/32 Liberator, it's a darned sight better than building a vac form! There will be a ton of aftermarket for this kit, so everyone get's to make their choice. Don't buy it, build it out of the box, or throw a shed load of aftermarket at it. If I wanted a 1/32 Liberator, I think I would be happy with this kit at the price point that it's set at. As long as it's fairly accurate starting point of course.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Competently built OOB, it will be a superficial model at best. It will draw attention then disappoint once attention is gained and the viewer sees that there's nothing much worth admiring once getting over the fact that it's big.

Maybe maybe not...

On the upside think how much paint you’ll sell to someone painting one. Very cloud has a silver lining 

• Haha 5

72nd scale roden biplanes  that cost 7-8$ have better detailed engines than this kit . Budget is no excuse for that , this is downright unacceptable at any price point . 

Also either add full rivet or don't but simply adding rivets right next to the panel lines is a massive mistake because from a distance , the rivet will merge into the panel line and make it appear like a trench . 

And I dont know if prices have been announced but I doubt it will fit anyone's definition of budget if we take their 72nd scale p-61 kit as reference  - that model has the spinner moulded onto the propellers and the cheapest it retails for is upwards 25$ .  At that price point , eduard gives us a super fine mig-21 with all the extra goodies . 

Edited by Basuroy

3 hours ago, Basuroy said:

72nd scale roden biplanes  that cost 7-8$ have better detailed engines than this kit . Budget is no excuse for that , this is downright unacceptable at any price point . 

Also either add full rivet or don't but simply adding rivets right next to the panel lines is a massive mistake because from a distance , the rivet will merge into the panel line and make it appear like a trench . 

And I dont know if prices have been announced but I doubt it will fit anyone's definition of budget if we take their 72nd scale p-61 kit as reference  - that model has the spinner moulded onto the propellers and the cheapest it retails for is upwards 25$ .  At that price point , eduard gives us a super fine mig-21 with all the extra goodies . 

Have to agree with you on this one.  Trumpy/HB generally are not a great deal for what you get until they go on sale at deep discounts.  I have generally found them on the expensive side but will still go for it if the subject is something unique in my scale.  Both Eduard & Roden are better deals, in particular Eduard weekend editions if you don't have the need for the photo etch.  But I could add numerous others to the list that are generally better deals for what you get in the box such as Bobcat/Xuntong, AMK, Airfix, Revell and usually Kitty Hawk and Kinetic.  

Lots of kits  have better, more, or finer detail. None of those is a 1/32 B-24...

Hannants has the kit listed for circa 150 GBP this depending on your view may or maynot be reasonable.

Acceptability or not of any kit or kit feature is usually determined by the market, generally if it’s the only game in town it’s acceptable to whit the current Airfix Vulcan...

so for your 150 you get a big box of plastic that from what I see and read seems generally to represent a B-24J in 1/32..

This B-24 has the 'feel' of a Merit International kit. A number of the Merit kits were somewhat simplified because they were selling finished models as well as kits (see the 1/18 AV-8B for example). But Merit seems to have given up on new products under it's own brand name as a visit to its website indicates mostly other manufacturers products. I have to wonder if this B-24 series was started for Merit and then taken over by Trumpeter. We know that Trumpeter/HobbyBoss was doing all the tooling, moulding, and packaging for Merit so my supposition is at least plausible.

Edited by VMA131Marine
  • Like 1

Have completed WRONG wing profile; details as 1/72 kit...and Engine nacelles are too bad... i don't understand why HB don't make simply but Accurate kit... in real - engines are deep in nacelles; when you close it side Gunner posts you can't see details (many parts what arevin completed kit invisible)in interior - but complete wrong wing profile is unrepaible problem... and degraded whole kit... I was dissapointed; i hope in CC kit conversion in Big scale but parody on Liberator i can't buy...

On 9/28/2018 at 6:37 PM, Calum said:

I think schemes with single colours  are quite hard to make interesting , and being on such a large subject makes it more difficult.

Nonsense my friend from the southern hemisphere! All you need to do is purchase $500 of Mig Jimenez books and magazines and then follow Mig's exclusive technique(s) using his product line and you can turn virtually any model into a plastic Van Gogh worthy of cutting an ear off!

Excuse my twisted Yank sense of humor...........

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Blue_Centurion said:

Nonsense my friend from the southern hemisphere! All you need to do is purchase $500 of Mig Jimenez books and magazines and then follow Mig's exclusive technique(s) using his product line and you can turn virtually any model into a plastic Van Gogh worthy of cutting an ear off!

Excuse my twisted Yank sense of humor...........

....or into a caricature of a very unrealistic style of uniform weathering....but back to a caricature of a B-24

• Like 1

Looks to be a great starting canvas at a very affordable price (cf Lancasters, which may be out of reach).

Waiting for the B-24D boxing from which to build a PB4Y-1. 

Couldn't care less about the engine detail. There's etch included and careful painting will add realism. (As if I'm going to get neurotic shining a pen torch into the nacelles!) 

My philosophy is that if you ain't gonna be looking at those things a year+ after the kit's built, it's not anything to worry about. I build the models for me. 

Tony 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, tony.t said:

Looks to be a great starting canvas at a very affordable price (cf Lancasters, which may be out of reach).

Waiting for the B-24D boxing from which to build a PB4Y-1. 

Couldn't care less about the engine detail. There's etch included and careful painting will add realism. (As if I'm going to get neurotic shining a pen torch into the nacelles!) 

My philosophy is that if you ain't gonna be looking at those things a year+ after the kit's built, it's not anything to worry about. I build the models for me. 

Tony 

Totally agree with this attitude, I am trying to stop making a b——y university thesis every time I start a new build. Too many shelf queens prove my personal point that it’s not a workable method. Have also stopped competing for the very same reason. I build for my own enjoyment only. 

Here we finally have a 1/32. B-24: get cracking at it!!

Edited by robertlundin
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1