1/32 - Consolidated B-24D & J Liberator by Hobby Boss - released - CWS seamless turrets

Homebee

Just seen this after searching for 1/32 P-61....

So now we have 1/32 B-24s coming? Along with the HK Models B-17s and Lancasters? Who owns display cabinets big enough?!

• 4 weeks later...

Is it just the camera angle or my eyes but those wingtips look alittle strange.

Also a nasty seam on that nose turret glazing same as the old Monogram 48th kit,would have hoped in this day and age you'd be able to mould the clear turret parts better than that.

That being said i'm a Norfolk lad,and given how many Liberators flew from bases local to me during the war...there's little doubt one will end up in my stash

5 hours ago, woody37 said:

This looks great, however I’m confused by all these 1/32 scale heavy releases when theres a gap for some moder 48 scale versions that would probably sell better

Yeah I can't understand the business case aircraft of this size in 1/32 over 1/48 either - surely they'd sell more at 1/48 (WNW excluded).

Still I don't own or manage a model company so maybe (probably) they know more than me. :D  I look forward to seeing the Lanc and B-24 built. I actually think it's quite hard to not make these large scale aircraft look like toys. Out of the 4  B-17's I've seen built over time, 3 of them have looked like large toys, perhaps its that those 3 were Olive drab over neutral grey.. I think schemes with single colours  are quite hard to make interesting , and being on such a large subject makes it more difficult.

Still a 1/32 Scale Lanc will be a sight to see

Edited by Calum
  • Like 3

On 9/28/2018 at 10:30 PM, woody37 said:

This looks great, however I’m confused by all these 1/32 scale heavy releases when theres a gap for some moder 48 scale versions that would probably sell better

On 9/29/2018 at 12:37 AM, Calum said:

Yeah I can't understand the business case aircraft of this size in 1/32 over 1/48 either - surely they'd sell more at 1/48 (WNW excluded).

Simple answer is they will sell, and sell quickly. The HK B-17G sold out rapidly, and picking one up second hand afterwards was twice as expensive. There are a lot of folk that build larger scales, and also those that will buy a 1/32 Lancaster or B-24 just because of the size and scope of such a project. Maybe there is a gap in 1/48th, but there was also a gap in 1/32. There already is a Lancaster, B-17 and B-24 in 1/48th. There wasn't in 1/32 unless you had the skill to put together a vacuform kit.

Steve

Edited by fightersweep
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CasualModel98 said:

Wow  the wingspan will be over 1 meter length tip to tip. This calls for a ceiling or wall mount.

The HK B17 does come with a wall mount bracket but there has been no mention of such with the Lancaster . . . ???

Has there been any indication from Trumpeter there will be one with the B24 ?

Edited by Mancunian airman

3 hours ago, fightersweep said:

Simple answer is they will sell, and sell quickly. The HK B-17G sold out rapidly, and picking one up second hand afterwards was twice as expensive. There are a lot of folk that build larger scales, and also those that will buy a 1/32 Lancaster or B-24 just because of the size and scope of such a project. Maybe there is a gap in 1/48th, but there was also a gap in 1/32. There already is a Lancaster, B-17 and B-24 in 1/48th. There wasn't in 1/32 unless you had the skill to put together a vacuform kit.

Steve

I'm sure they'll sell, clearly they wouldn't make them if they don't think they'll sell them. I wonder how many they make in each run?

53 minutes ago, Calum said:

I'm sure they'll sell, clearly they wouldn't make them if they don't think they'll sell them. I wonder how many they make in each run?

Anywhere between 2000 and 3000 would be my guess, but that is just a guess. 

I do get the argument for new tool 1/48th heavies, particularly the B-17G. I did buy the HK 1/32 B-17 for a project that I really want to do one day. I spent 10 years researching one particular 8th Air Force B-17, corresponded with the crew, got the whole 103 mission combat diary written, enough for a book I suppose. I really wanted to build a kit of the aircraft, but in the end, I decided the HK kit was just too big for the space I don't have. So a reluctant sale followed. I'll go with the Monogram 1/48th kit instead and no doubt have to super detail it to death like everyone else. It's a nice blank canvas still, but a new kit would be better. There must be a reason it hasn't happened yet?

Steve

Edited by fightersweep
  • Like 3

The old Monogram kit is a super thing, I suspect thats why its never been replaced by a new tool 48th 'G - also the wing attachment must be unique, a tab and slot arrangement which was rock solid and left no gap at the root - and that was 1975! :)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

The old Monogram kit is a super thing, I suspect thats why its never been replaced by a new tool 48th 'G - also the wing attachment must be unique, a tab and slot arrangement which was rock solid and left no gap at the root - and that was 1975! :)

Ah! I miss the 70s! It is a great kit, and there's more than enough available aftermarket to throw at it. A real solid classic and still very buildable. I just wish it had the staggered waist gun positions, but hey! there's even a resin fix for that (If I feel lazy enough not to do it myself) I'll certainly be building my Monogram kit!

Steve

• Like 1

I have an uncovered Guillow's 1/28 Liberator a friend gave to me after his builder dad died, it sits with wings off on my bench and it is a very decent size. I hate to imagine how heavy this kit will be! Wow!