Dornier Do 22 - Kagero via Casemate UK

Julien

Dornier Do 22

Design, Development, Testing & service with the Yugoslav, Greek and Finnish Air Forces

ISBN : 9788365437617

Kagero via Casemate UK

2201.jpg

When you think of flying boats Dornier is a name which stands out, however the Do 22 is not one of their Aircraft which immediately comes to mind. Never adopted by the Luftwaffe the Do 22 was developed at a request by the then Kingdom of Yugoslavia. The parasol winged monoplane was fabric over metal with bracing struts to the fuselage and the floats from the wing. Only 29 examples were manufactures for Yugoslavia, Greece, and Latvia. The Latvian examples were never delivered due to occupation by the Soviets and were transferred by Germany to Finland. The Greek examples were all destroyed during the German invasion, but eight Yugoslav machines managed to escape to Egypt where they flew under RAF control until lack of spares grounded the Aircraft. The Greeks would convert some of their aircraft to land machines, and the Finnish would use them in both land & sea configurations.

2203.jpg

2204.jpg

The book is hardback A4 about 160 pages long. It is illustrated throughout with black and white photographs, technical drawings, and scale plans of the aircraft. There are 20 colour profiles at the rear of the book for all the operating nations. An addition is a set of loose A2 sized plans of the aircraft. 

2205.jpg

2206.jpg

Conclusion

Up until this book there has been no publication dedicated to the Do 22. The depth of knowledge inside in the writing, inclusion of many technical diagrams and plans shows the dedication to this work by the author Djordje NikoliC as I am sure not much of this information was easily obtainable. 

Highly Recommended.

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of

logo.gif

I personally know the author, and I have seen some of the effort that has gone into this book (the plans, for example, were re-sent to the drafter a couple of times for revision, until every minute detail was done right.)

Also, I have purchased the book, and it is obvious that this was a bit of a "passion project" for the author, shown in the thoroughness of his research.

Highly recommended!

Edited by warhawk
  • Like 2

On 12/25/2017 at 06:26, warhawk said:

I personally know the author, and I have seen some of the effort that has gone into this book (the plans, for example, were re-sent to the drafter a couple of times for revision, until every minute detail was done right.)

Also, I have purchased the book, and it is obvious that this was a bit of a "passion project" for the author, shown in the thoroughness of his research.

Highly recommended!

Please pass on my congratulations for his work on this.

Julien

• Like 1

I'll likely buy one of these, its an aircraft that appeals rather a lot. I can but hope this might prompt someone to release a new tooled kit. My eBay notifications keep reveling Xotic kits of this at frankly silly money. :(

Steve.