This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Scimitar

Britmodellers' X Files

Heres another interesting phenomena that I, and many others, have experience. The disappearing/re-appearing item.

One day I was looking for a small shifting spanner that I keep on my modelling table for that unexpected nut tightening or loosening requirement. I couldn't find it, looked all over the modelling table under all the junk, nowhere to be found. I went to see if I might have left it somewhere else without success, sat down at the modelling table again and it was right there in front of me. I am certain it wasn't there when I was hunting for it.

My mother recently lost her engagement ring. She swears that she put it down on the sideboard in her house and it was gone the next day when she went to put it on. She tells me that, about a year ago, she was cleaning her jewelery which she kept in the same place, went out of the room to get a cleaning cloth and, when she got back her diamond earrings, that she had gone to get the cleaning cloth for, had disappeared. Just her and her husband in the house and the house is plenty secure so no-one could have nipped in and stolen these items. On both occasions they turned the house upside down looking for the items with no success. She tells me she bought the sideboard from a charity shop local to her and I have to wonder if it has some history behind it.

My mothers' normal 'go-to' solution is to offer up a quick prayer to Saint Jude (although she is not a particularly religious woman) and she swears that this generally works, although, in the case of the missing items I referred to it hasn't worked. My wife, having been brought up in a strong Catholic family is also given to praying to Saint Jude for help in times of need and reports a similar success rate throughout her life.

8 hours ago, Beardie said:

My wife, having been brought up in a strong Catholic family is also given to praying to Saint Jude for help in times of need and reports a similar success rate throughout her life.

I was brought up in a strictly atheist family, and find that swearing helps. For some reason Saint Jude doesn't seem to give a :swear:.

I was brought up Scottish protestant but my mother got a conversion to Catholicism when I was in my teens. I say, whatever works for you is what you do, if you don't believe in what you are doing then certainly you are wasting your time as, should there happen to be anything to it, it ain't going to help anyone out who doesn't truly recognise the entity they are asking for help. I do know that, when times have been tough, the missus has said a prayer to Saint Jude and something has come along to help us out. Always just what we needed and no more. It doesn't work for me but I guess that may be, as I said myself, because I lack any real belief/don't feel that any supreme power would truly care on that personl a level.

I don't know about praying to St Jude. I always thought it was St Anthony? Isn't Jude lost causes?

But whatever I could do with some help with some mysterious disappearances. The most recent being the car insurance documents. But also gone missing is my wife's old smartphone which was to be handed down to my son as his first phone. Also a computer mouse plus several other objects an anti snoring ring being one. The problem is that there is nowhere they could have gone. Yet they've vanished completely. More puzzling is the stuff that mysteriously reappears often somewhere obvious leaving you wondering why you never found them earlier.

Also socks. I am in complete control of all the laundry yet socks still vanish. This is a mystery I fear will never be resolved. Gone to sock heaven I suppose.

The re-appearing right in front of your face is exactly as I mentioned in my post. The shifting spanner that I hunted high and low for and appeared twelve inches in front of my nose lying on my laptop. No way could I have missed seeing that.

You are absolutely right about Saint Jude (Patron Saint of Hope and Lost Causes) and Saint Anthony (Patron Saint of Lost items, people, souls). The interesting thing is that my mother thought that Saint Jude was the appropriate saint. Perhaps belief is all that is needed although I guess that a patron of Hope and lost causes may also have lost important items in their remit. My wife knew Saint Jude's correct designation and prayed for help rather than finding things. She was brought up by her grandmother a very Catholic old woman from Donegal.

One instance I recall which always had me wondering was a client when I worked as a graphic designer. He and his wife owned the Carnell Estate in South Ayrshire and came to me every year to get programmes designed and printed for the annual estate hunt. He was in to check out a proof and left to go back to his Landy. Five minutes later he came back into the office looking for the keys for his Landy. When he asked if I had seen them I looked up and he had them in his hand. He was a bit 'Tim nice but dim' but could he really have walked away up to his Landy tried to find his keys and walked all the way back to ask if I had seen them all the while holding them in his hand?

Ah my wife does that a lot. She is blonde though. Doesn't beat the time I walked out of the house and found the car missing. I later found it by the local shop where I had parked it and walked home that morning with no memory of doing so whatever. 

The funny thing about the losing things problem is that I normally know where everything is. So when my wife runs panic stricken into the room looking for her keys/phone/blue top/boots. I usually know exactly where they are. Which makes it all the more puzzling when things disappear.

Frustrating!

1 hour ago, noelh said:

I don't know about praying to St Jude. I always thought it was St Anthony? Isn't Jude lost causes?

But whatever I could do with some help with some mysterious disappearances. The most recent being the car insurance documents. But also gone missing is my wife's old smartphone which was to be handed down to my son as his first phone. Also a computer mouse plus several other objects an anti snoring ring being one. The problem is that there is nowhere they could have gone. Yet they've vanished completely. More puzzling is the stuff that mysteriously reappears often somewhere obvious leaving you wondering why you never found them earlier.

Also socks. I am in complete control of all the laundry yet socks still vanish. This is a mystery I fear will never be resolved. Gone to sock heaven I suppose.

Try praying to the Carpet Monster instead.....  :worthy:

I said at the start of this thread that I was reluctant to start it but having opened the lid......

The human mind is a strange thing and eyewitness evidence is without doubt the most unreliable but even so cannot be ignored.

Our up-bringing also plays a part too.

If you are brought up in a household with very strong beliefs and traditions (regardless of what that may be) then I suspect that would colour your thinking along the lines of angels,demons,fairies and other such bodies. Perhaps some things are seen because we want to? Back to quantum physics again!

None of us have a completely open mind as it is said that everything we have ever seen,heard,read,smelled and tasted is still in there. 

Stuff goes on out there which cannot yet be explained

I haven't got any ghost stories or UFO stories or any of that sort of thing but I regularly have the "I put it down right here a moment ago" phenomena occur.

I am also very familiar with the "I've looked everywhere for it and it's right in front of you" variation that is, I'm sure, related.

I suspect that it may have to do with the human brains tendency to multi process. That is, that we are thinking about something else while we are looking for whatever we are looking for.

I have noticed while doing inventories of similiar looking objects that my eye will tend to slide past some items toward different looking items unless I force myself to concentrate.

The mind wanders...

Human thought is a very tricky thing.

Mostly I just swear at the bloody gremlins who move my stuff around...

7 hours ago, Tzulscha said:

the bloody gremlins

I forgot about them..please add to above list!

Last night I discovered the aftermath of a worrying event that I can only put down to the paranormal.

I am a pipe smoker and occasionally it is neccessary to clean your pipes out thoroughly. The recommended way of doing this is, ahem, spirits. I don't drink these days but I did know that I had a bottle of Whyte and Mackay Special reserve in the cupboard which I had been gifted for playing the pipes at the opening of a new pier on the loch. I went to get said bottle, sat down and opened it, it went Hisssssss! Odd says I, whisky doesn't have gas in. On closer inspection the bottle contained diet coke. Neither my wife nor myself have imbibed alcohol in over five years and my autistic stepson detests alcohol. That left only one person in the house who might have done it, my 16 year old stepdaughter who, I suspect has tried the grain a few times recently. Under questioning she swears that she didn't know there was a bottle of whisky in that cupboard (It is reserved purely for my own personal supplies of treats, snacks, odds and ends) and most definitely was not responsible.

I can only conclude that there is a spirit in my house that is fond of spirits, doesn't mind a spot of theft and is capable of transferring liquids from bottle to bottle when no-one is looking.

Anyone have any thoughts on other possible explanations?

Do kids really think we are stupid and that our heads button up the back?

1 hour ago, Beardie said:

Last night I discovered the aftermath of a worrying event that I can only put down to the paranormal.

I am a pipe smoker and occasionally it is neccessary to clean your pipes out thoroughly. The recommended way of doing this is, ahem, spirits. I don't drink these days but I did know that I had a bottle of Whyte and Mackay Special reserve in the cupboard which I had been gifted for playing the pipes at the opening of a new pier on the loch. I went to get said bottle, sat down and opened it, it went Hisssssss! Odd says I, whisky doesn't have gas in. On closer inspection the bottle contained diet coke. Neither my wife nor myself have imbibed alcohol in over five years and my autistic stepson detests alcohol. That left only one person in the house who might have done it, my 16 year old stepdaughter who, I suspect has tried the grain a few times recently. Under questioning she swears that she didn't know there was a bottle of whisky in that cupboard (It is reserved purely for my own personal supplies of treats, snacks, odds and ends) and most definitely was not responsible.

I can only conclude that there is a spirit in my house that is fond of spirits, doesn't mind a spot of theft and is capable of transferring liquids from bottle to bottle when no-one is looking.

Anyone have any thoughts on other possible explanations?

Do kids really think we are stupid and that our heads button up the back?

I think Poirot and Miss Marple would have to join forces to solve that one.

Well blow me, you have one too Beardie.

Mine was called Alf, lived with us for a couple of years and mysteriously stopped visiting us around the time when my daughters moved into their own flat. (Yes!, strange, but true)

I also don't drink, but me and the wife had been gifted a couple of bottles over the years that were stashed away in the kitchen. 

The first encounter was noted when cleaning the cupboard out, that one of the bottles had seemingly unscrewed its own cap (images of close encounters of the third kind come to mind). Being the inquisitive kind of chap I am, I thought i'd conduct an experiment and remove the other bottles and leave just the ghostly unscreweing cap bottle... but being the naughty little sod that I am, I removed its contents, filled it with cold tea, and a rather healthy dose of laxatives. Left the bottle overnight to settle and it was returned to its original place. 

Now here's where it gets really weird. 

We return from a night away to find pandemonium in the Mad Household. No2 daughter and her friend seem to have been struck down by the pox. Pale and ashen face, the two young ladies tried to explain in between bouts of explosive squirts that they have no clue what has happened, they were just sitting watching tv when bam! the pox struck them down and they were verily stricken...

I nearly wet myself laughing, and so did the young ladies father when I told him what had occurred when I took her home... 

No2 was NOT impressed with my little jibe, and proceeded to sulk for about a year. 

The bottle is still in the cupboard :) 

Jeez Steve I would have given that one many more likes if I could have.

:) 

They may think they know everything, they may think they know better than us...

But they forget, we were once that age, and all of these little 'brilliant ideas' they have are, actually, old hat.

It is our right, as parents, I believe, to show the little buggers, just who is boss :) 

13 minutes ago, MAD STEVE said:

But they forget, we were once that age, and all of these little 'brilliant ideas' they have are, actually, old hat.

When I was a youngish teenager I discovered a bottle of vodka in the back of my older brothers wardrobe. Over the next few weeks, the level of the bottle never changed, it just got increasingly weaker. Eventually it became homeopathic vodka, it merely retained the memory of alcohol.

On 12/01/2018 at 8:03 AM, Beardie said:

One day I was looking for a small shifting spanner that I keep on my modelling table for that unexpected nut tightening or loosening requirement. I couldn't find it, looked all over the modelling table under all the junk, nowhere to be found. I went to see if I might have left it somewhere else without success, sat down at the modelling table again and it was right there in front of me. I am certain it wasn't there when I was hunting for it.

No offense, but there's a marked difference in spine- tingling quality between this story and @Scimitar's ape man tale! :rofl:

Seriously though, keep up the interesting stories. This thread reminds me of the legendary haunted airfields thread on the key publishing forum ;)

I'm afraid i'm rather boring and that stuff just seems to pass me by, (or I'm too thick to actually recognise it when its happening :))

One thing sprunged to mind tho after a conversation with my dad last night. We are planning a trip to France this June and we were speaking about previous trips and my mom said she does not want to go back to Verdun. Gave her the willies. 

I remember that, even though I was only in my early teens, I clearly remember what my mom meant, the place gives you the willies, your ears gentleman's parts up, hair on the back of your neck type of place.

Led me to remember other places we have been too with similar 'feelings'...

Bergen Belsen - May of heard that there are no birds there's, in fact, there's no animal/creature/insect noises. I understand, it was a place of great suffering, but there is something, can one say, in the air? It is actually really freaky, and only within the confines of the camp, outside in the Car Park its all normal.

Leptis Magna -   Leptis is a huge roman city ruin about 120km outside Tripoli in Libya, one of the best preserved roman ruins on the Med. It is literally a complete town that is slowly (or should I say was)being preserved. It is magnificent, absolutely mind blowing, but there is something there that is not quite right. Also the thing with the birds, they stay away from the town itself and strangely, there is an overall depressing feeling about the place, very strange. Its kind of like the shadows are playing tricks on you and you are always wary of rounding the next corner.

Any of you chaps visited similar places, had similar odd feelings? 

29 minutes ago, MAD STEVE said:

Any of you chaps visited similar places, had similar odd feelings? 

Roslyn Chapel a few years ago when they had the metal shelter over it.

I climbed up to the top to photograph the gargoyles when an absolutely horrible feeling came over me. The urge to throw myself off the walkway and down into the valley below was very very strong.

I made a swift exit and the feeling disappeared even before I had got back to ground level.

Logic suggests something like vertigo but in all my years in the mountains and hanging out of the Wessex,I've never had anything like it.

Yes, Bergen-Belsen is like that, even the walk to the Russian cemetery through the wood is silent.

An odd thing I found at Auschwitz-Birkenau: Totally devoid of life..........I was there in 2007, and my then ladyfriend was a junior school teacher. I promised to make a recording for her class. I had a camcorder, and walked the 'Ramp' and on the the meadow behind the crematoria, and down towards 'Canada', filming as I went, and adding commentary. No sooner had I uttered the words 'there is no sound, no birds or insects, no wildlife' than a white butterfly came from nowhere and flew right in front of the camera, flew off for a distance and disappeared.  I couldn't believe it, but I still have the footage. In the rest of the time  there, I saw and heard nothing else.

I did occasionally get an odd feeling crossing a particular bridge over the River Clyde in Glasgow. I wouldn't be feeling suicidal in the slightest, in fact more often than not perfectly happy but I frequently had a hard to resist urge to dive off the bridge into the water if I stopped on the bridge. It wasn't a suicidal urge but more as if the water was calling to me.

A place I came across by accident is a tiny ruined church and graveyard near a place called Barnwell outside Prestwick. In a field next to a small farm there is a small ruined church (I have since learned that it is believed to be one of the oldest churches in Scotland) surrounded by trees and it is 'timeless'. There are these odd gravestones which are pillars of polished granite with matching spheres on the top about six feet tall and in amongst them or in one or two instances, left lying against the trunks of trees, are wooden crosses with brass plaques marking other graves that look maybe a year or two old but are engraved with dates going back a century, within the vicinity of the church and graves it feels as if time stands still but the feeling goes as soon as you move a short distance away. One of the most peaceful places I have ever come across.

Premonitions were touched upon briefly earlier and they came to mind when I was re-reading 'The Secrets of HMS Dasher' by John and Noreen Steele.

Sub Lieutenant Geoffrey Parkinson RN went to bed on Friday 26 March 1943 and had a very detailed dream of how his ship sank and he was rescued from a raft along with the Captain and a cook.

He told fellow officers about it at breakfast and they laughed.

At 1640 on Saturday 27 March 1943 at 1640,HMS Dasher blew up and sank with the loss of 379 lives.

Geoffrey Parkinson was one of three people rescued from a raft. The other two were the Captain and a cook.

On 1/14/2018 at 5:24 PM, Gorby said:

When I was a youngish teenager I discovered a bottle of vodka in the back of my older brothers wardrobe. Over the next few weeks, the level of the bottle never changed, it just got increasingly weaker. Eventually it became homeopathic vodka, it merely retained the memory of alcohol.

I bought my wife a bottle of Hendricks gin last year. We didn't drink it all at least she didn't. I'm afraid I sampled a bit too much of it when she wasn't around. But it wasn't obvious because as you know the Hendricks bottle is dark. But there was bound to be a reckoning and it was necessary to top it up. So a rather less exclusive gin was utilised and no one was the wiser unless she reads this. 

As for Beardie, I don't know which is worse someone drinking his special reserve or using it to clean his pipe! Agh or should I say Och!

In terms of atmospheric places. I read somewhere that some people experience a sense of despair on the Culloden battlefield. I have experienced 'atmosphere' in certain places. Often it's a good atmosphere though. Some houses and buildings. The house I live in now is over 50 years old and from the beginning it had a homely welcoming feel. Others not so much. A few I've been in made me really uncomfortable without every being able to say why.

I was visiting Blarney castle once, with the famous Stone. Around the side of it is a tunnel or dungeon like entrance which is cramped but accessible and lit. The wife and kids climbed in happily and I followed but soon shot out again pursued by a terrible sense of dread. Didn't like it one bit. I'm not particularly claustrophobic so it wasn't that. Won't be going back there anytime soon. The castle itself is very atmospheric and you get plenty of time to enjoy it during the interminable queue to kiss the stone. 

I love to visit old houses and castles and wonder what stories they could tell. Around where I live there are 7 or 8 castles and fortified towers all at least 500 years old. Many have a storied history as there have been many a battle fought in the vicinity. Recently the skeletons of a couple of probably Cromwellian era soldiers were found near one. What ghosts linger there? Whoo!

Edited by noelh

Thanks for mentioning homely atmosphere Noel, that reminds me of another interesting subject. About 13 or so years ago I had to move out of the the flat I was in as the upstairs neighbour had flooded me and I was getting the damage repaired. The insurance weren't that generous with their temporary accomodation budget and so I rented this tiny old house a couple of streets away. It was tiny, narrow, squeezed in between two other houses and with no garden,had dampness upstairs, didn't have a shower it had a trickle and the kitchen was outdated but it was the cosiest, most welcoming and relaxing place I have ever lived. I would have been happy to stay there if they hadn't finished the work on my own spacious, flat with all it's mod cons.