This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Scimitar

Britmodellers' X Files

I have started this thread as an offshoot of @Beardie's Reality thread. No doubt a  :worms:    will result!

Its aim is to tell some stories which many of you might find hard to believe.

It is not intended to add to the plethora of conspiracy theories out there nor is it saying that we have been visited by aliens.

Perhaps somebody may know the answers as to what was going on,if so do tell!

I hope that I will not be the only one contributing here.

I would ask that you be civil in any replies,fair banter is OK but if anybody starts to extract the urine then I'll ask for thread to be closed.

Anyway,the first story follows:

This may not be quite what you're looking for, but ... Rumour has it that it was once so cold in Canberra the pollies were going around with their hands in their own pockets ...

In 1985 I was stationed in Kames, Argyll. This was a two man station with each of us being on opposite shifts.

One afternoon around 1600 at the change of shift,a local worthy came into the office. He was pure white and quite agitated.

He told the story of how on driving into the village he had almost run over an ape man who ran across the road in front of him.

My colleague noted his statement and after he left we had the usual discussion,drew a cartoon and promptly forgot about it.

The road into Tighnabruaich from Glendaruel is generally a single track road and halfway between the two is cut out of the hillside above a place called Caladh (home ,long since demolished, of Royal Navy special ops people in WWII)

About 0215 one summers morning about two weeks later I was returning to base and as I approached the cattle grid at that point,a large apelike creature ran from the woods on my right,across the road and down into the woods on my left.

This creature was ginger coloured and about 6'6" tall. I based this on my height of 6'2" It's gait was like an Oran Utan but it's arms didn't appear as long

I rammed on the brakes and got out of the car and went to the point where it had disappeared but saw and heard nothing.

I drove into Tighnabruaich and out to Caladh,parked the car,got out and listened but again heard nothing.

I kept quiet about this as I had no corroboration but a few weeks later I 'burst' and told my colleague. The (expletive deleted!) told me that he had seen the same thing the week before and had also kept quiet for fear of ridicule.

I was stationed there for 4 years but never saw it again and never heard of anybody but the three of us having seen it.

I have no idea to this day what I saw.

Here is one unexplained incident I experienced around seven years ago.

At the time we were living in Rhu which is just south of Faslane. We decided to take a walk one stormy night and explore the village. Above the village was a group of multi-storey houses that were meant to accomodate people for the base but were lying empty and not a soul was about.  As we were walking along the streetlight we had just passed switched off. Just one of those things we thought. As we reached the next street lamp it turned off, and the next and the next. One we could explain as a fault but, one by one, down the whole street was too much for the wife and I was a little bit puzzled by it myself. Needless to say we high-tailed it back to our house. Heading down the hill to the rugby club behind our house the same thing happened with the streetlights in that area (each one turned off as we passed it.) It wasn't scary it was just weird and I have no explanation for it.

If somebody else told me this story I would not believe them, but it is 100% true.

Today I saw a BMW driver use his indicators. Twice. Correctly.

He indicated to pull into the outside lane to overtake me. AND then indicated when he moved back into my lane.

Incredible, but true. I almost crashed my car.

He was speeding, mind.

Graham

Another incident happened in Rhu as well. I was in the habit of taking the dog we had at the time (A spaniel) down onto the shore in front of the cottage we were living in and walking along the shore in the darkness out to the point which Rhu is named for and then round and up onto the main road to return to the cottage. The wife was at work and the kids were tucked up in bed. I got down onto the shore and took only a few steps out of the last of the light that reached the shore and the dog hunkered down and wouldn't move. I tried to encourage/drag him but he wouldn't move and, having experienced this with dogs in the past I gave up and we started to head back. I swear that, besides the wind, rain and my own footsteps, I could hear other footsteps behind me on the gravelly shore. The hairs really went up on the back of my neck that night.

Some time later I was talking to an old highlander in Helensburgh and, when I said that I lived in Rhu, he said "There's a lot of sadness and anger in that place". According to him, when Glen Fruin was 'cleared' the residents were forced down to live on the shore at Rhu and try and scrape a living below the high water mark.

39 minutes ago, Beardie said:

Here is one unexplained incident I experienced around seven years ago.

At the time we were living in Rhu which is just south of Faslane. We decided to take a walk one stormy night and explore the village. Above the village was a group of multi-storey houses that were meant to accomodate people for the base but were lying empty and not a soul was about.  As we were walking along the streetlight we had just passed switched off. Just one of those things we thought. As we reached the next street lamp it turned off, and the next and the next. One we could explain as a fault but, one by one, down the whole street was too much for the wife and I was a little bit puzzled by it myself. Needless to say we high-tailed it back to our house. Heading down the hill to the rugby club behind our house the same thing happened with the streetlights in that area (each one turned off as we passed it.) It wasn't scary it was just weird and I have no explanation for it.

Something similar for me.  I lived in Little Stoke, Bristol from 2008 to 2012.  I used to go for walks along the Winterbourne road, along Bradley Stoke Way, across to Aztec West and then back to the Kingsway roundabout.  I noticed that the streetlamps on Bradley Stoke Way turned off as I was going along. I used to wonder if they were somehow operated by passing traffic, but it seems rather unlikely.

Edited by JosephLalor

29 minutes ago, GrahamS said:

a BMW driver

Now if it had been an Audi I wouldn't have believed it.

Beardie..Dogs do seem to have a sense of things.

One night walking back from the local pub with Sula my Golden Retriever,he stopped dead in his tracks as we reached Kilmun church. He then crossed the road and hurried home.

So did I.

Aye, whatever was there my dog didn't like it. It's not as if he was some super intelligent hound either. He was daft as a brush and would have chased a rubber ball into a burning building but whatever it was freaked him out. I had a few times fishing by myself in that area at night where I felt something was there and it set the spidey sense tingling.

My parents dog will often sit in their hall and stare at a particular point halfway up the stairs for no apparent reason. She will stop what she is doing (usually playing about) to sit at the bottom of the staircase to do this. She's done this since she was a pup and she's about 9 now. Really weird thing is that their previous dog used to do the same thing at exactly the same place!!!! Spooky...... 😯

Regards 

Steve 

1 hour ago, GrahamS said:

If somebody else told me this story I would not believe them, but it is 100% true.

He indicated to pull into the outside lane to overtake me. AND then indicated when he moved back into my lane.

He was speeding, mind.

Graham

Most likely it wasn't his car. Probably belonged to his missus.

1 hour ago, GrahamS said:

He was speeding, mind.

Graham

Oh for gawds sake that's just ridiculous. You must take us as fools. Next you'll be telling us Mercedes drivers use their indicators too and none of them are arrogant p****s.

On the other hand the other stories I believe and that's no joke. I don't know why either  and I'm the eternal cynical  sceptic.

Edited by noelh

I can tolerate 6 ft ginger apemen, self regulating lights, even trance dogs but the BMW story is way beyond believable, you need to remember the swordman threatened to have the thread closed if anyone started to take the p++s.

Merry Christmas by the way.

2 hours ago, Scimitar said:

Beardie..Dogs do seem to have a sense of things.

Aye they do, in the house I used to live in as kid, there was 3 paranormal "cold spots". Basically places that where freezing for no logical reason - one was infront of a coal fire! That particular one would freak the dogs out, and me and my sister. My mum once caught me having a conversation with it and with the dog sitting at my side looking at it. I was no more than 5 so don't really remember it. There was also "something" there that freaked the living stuff out of me, still does 30 years later. Maybe I should see a shrink? Lol

The other day travelling south on the A130, I saw an asteroid in the sky. The weird thing was that it was heading to London and it's trail was blue. I've seen enough meteors/asteroids/comets to know that was odd. I thought it was a North Korean ICBM for a fraction of a second.

I've got lots of stories of weird stuff... My mother has always said that my sister and I have "second sight". It's stronger in my sister than me, but also I don't believe it. But I have seen quite a few things that have made me question my sanity. :/

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Ah tales of odd supernatural occurences. I have one of those. I don't remember it myself but I was told by my mother, father and grandparents about it. Apparently I was a nipper of maybe three and we were at my grandparents' old cottage at the time. Apparently I suddenly became agitated and, in a mans voice I said "We have to get the horses into the barn, there's a storm coming". I have no recollection of this myself and we didn't have any horses or even a barn. To this day I have no idea where that one came from.

My grandparents were extremely rational, no nonsense types who had come through the second world war and weren't easily spooked but they both had ghost stories and they weren't scary or extraordinary which always struck me as different from your typical ghost story. In one instance my grandmother related that she was working as a fire watcher in Sauchiehall street in Glasgow with another woman around the time of the Clydebank Blitz and it was a quiet night. They were looking down non the street from the building roof where they were stationed and she says they both watched two women dressed in victorian clothing move down the street and then turn and disappear into a wall. On another time, at the cottage where the incident involving myself happened she claimed to have seen lights (literally fairy lights) dancing around outside the window.

If it was anyone else than her I would have taken it as pure nonsense but I don't recall my grandmother ever telling a joke or a story or even having much of a laugh in all the days I knew her. She was not a 'joker' by any stretch of the imagination.

Another true story (yes, the BMW story IS true).

My first wife, who was from China, sadly passed away in Feb 2003. About two months later I got posted to Manila where I got an apartment on the 22nd floor overlooking Makarti. It was a lovely flat with floor to ceiling windows.

A few days after moving in I went to draw the curtains and noticed a small white square on one of the window frames. On closer inspection it turned out to what looked like a piece of paper, about passport photo size, sellotaped to the frame. I tore it off and it was actually a piece of photographic paper. On the non-photo side was some Chinese writing (no idea what it said) and on the other side was what appeared to an image of a bright light, but in negative form. Had a look around the flat and there was one of these sellotaped to every window frame throughout the flat.  Have no idea what they were or what the Chinese writing said.

Further to that, I got home one night and my live-in maid came screaming to me. Obviously I asked what was up and she said that I had already got home about an hour before hand as she’d heard me clomping around and I had said good night to her!

Graham

Morning Chaps and a Merry Christmas :bye:

While I sit here in the blissfull silence, awaiting the rest of the Mad House to awaken, let me share mine.

A couple of years ago whilst working in Zambia, I was sitting outside my accomodation one evening around 11:30 staring up at the sky. Something caught my eye that was moving, but it was black and had no lights on. I can explain it only as the shape of a lance corporals stripe. and it was moving pretty slowly, but I couldn't tell you the height. It would move forward few a few minutes, then turn, but not turn as a normal aircraft, sort of over its wing, 90 degrees then continue on. I watched this for about 10 minutes until I couldn't see it anymore, but i could not tell you what it was. Our mine was 1100 odd km's from livingston, in a place called Solwezi, which itself was about 70km from the border of the Congo and it was basically in the middle of the bush. I could not tell you what it was I witnessed. The sky's up there are pretty clear at night and I made a mental note to look for it again but never saw it again.  

But my most favourite one.

I had just left my friends house, on agricultural small holding outside of town, about 2 in the morning. (This would be about 15 years ago)

Short drive on my bike on gravel, to the main road, turn right and off onto the tarmac.

I put my highbeam on as there where no street lamps and it was just a couple of seconds before I noticed someone was walking on my side of the road towards me.

It took my brain a few seconds to process what i was seeing until it the hairs on the back of my neck stood up and I realised that my headlight was shining straight through the person. I jammed on anchors, came to a screeching stop and watched as the figure walked towards me to about 50 meters away and just faded into the night. 

Believe me I did not hang about and covered the 20ks home in record time :) It actually shook me up quiet a bit...

Mad Steve

In 1991 I was working at my first Job as a trainee/apprentice with British Rail. 

One evening, after finishing an afternoon shift at a colliery sidings, I was walking home, taking a shortcut on a path  between a field and the branch line and cutting into the sidings. It was around December and about 7pm, it was freezing cold with a heavy frost on the ground. As I was walking, I became aware of the sound of what I can only describe as a babbling brook immediately to my right on the line side of me, which i'd never noticed  before when walking this path. As I continued walking, I then heard the sound of numerous young children having a right old time,  laughing, splashing and playing in the water. My first thought was that they must be mad playing in the water with it being so cold and dark! 

It was only when I got home that I realised how odd this had been. Where I'd heard the sound of the children and water coming from was a thin hedgereow then beyond that a steep cutting with the railway line in, and the location was pretty remote. 

I walked the same route the next day in daylight on my way to work, I went through the hedgereow and could find no sign of a river or stream or any running water and I certainly couldn't hear any water either.

To this day, I'm still puzzled what I heard that night, or where it came from. Needless to say, I stopped walking that route not long after! 

Merry Christmas all.

Ian 

My wife and I were living in our first married quarter on a fairly well known barracks which shall remain nameless! There were rumours in the that in one of the houses that a family had died years ago from carbon monoxide poisoning. The tale seemed a bit far fetched when I was told that the padre had to do an exorcism on the house to remove the spirits.

This is where the tale took a sinister turn! One night my wife and I were trying to decide on what film to watch. We never watch horror films but we had one in our collection and I decided it was time to put it on. My wife disagreed but I was determined to put it on. I'd finally convinced her and she agreed. As I took the DVD out of the box and opened the DVD player drawer. At this point the house front door (one of these big fancy double glazed numbers) burst open with fury and a howling gale ripped through the house! The wind lifted the curtains and the cat hit the roof. The wind died off to silence again and I had to close the door and search the house for a now petrified wife. Needless to say the DVD went back in its case and in the bin.

Many years ago I was driving along the A45 when I had a sudden deep sense of foreboding that something bad was going to happen. Thought nothing more of it, and then a few hours later received a phone call from the police that my wife had rolled her car ....  very close to that spot on the road....

My father had just died, and I was up in Leeds helping with funeral preparations.

My father was very proud of his garden and the centrepiece was a large pond.

The fountain/filter was running slow and needed cleaning. I took it out of the pond, removed the filters and hosed it down. I had put the hose away and going back to put the fountain in the pond when I notice a large hatch on the back was open and upright. Beneath the hatch was another filter. I cleaned it as well and put the fountain back. The clip on the hatch was intact and very sturdy, there is no way it could have just sprung open while my back was turned...

In the 20s my grandad said that he'd been a Bordeaux Harbour talking to someone facing up towards the junction when he saw a woman cross the road very slowly,didn't take much notice but as she got close to the low sea wall he thought she may've been sleep walking and nearly called out but she went through the wall and moved/floated across the beach he noticed she was dressed in a Victorian dress with a shawl...Without saying what he'd seen he tried to find out if anyone had been killed in the area but he never found out,everytime i drive around there i always think of the story and wonder...

I am not one to believe in the paranormal, but when my dad died suddenly (fell down the stairs of his flat hitting his head on the coat hooks on the way down and found by my brother some hours later), for some time afterwards I would be doing something and I would feel someone near me or detect movement out the corner of my eye. About six months after he died, I had the most vivid and real dream I have ever had when I dreamt I went back to his flat (decorated differently as it was a council flat) and met him to say goodbye. It was so real I woke up in floods  of tears, but never had the sense of another's presence. This is the first time I have shared this story with anyone other than my wife and brother. 

I have had no personal experiences, but my late mother had two. When she was a young girl, her cousin was ill with shingles, and staying in the house. My grandparents had gone out for the evening. Suddenly a black cloud formed around the ceiling light, and a voice spoke, telling her to burst the blisters on her cousins body. She took a needle, and did so, telling her parents when they returned. They were not pleased, and called the Doctor. When he arrived, he said if she had not done what she did, her cousin would have died.

The second event was late in 1958, and my grandmother was living with the family. She suffered a stroke and was bedridden. Late one night, the front door of the house flew open with a rush of wind. My mother went upstairs and could hear the beating of wings. She entered my grandmothers room, and she had just died.

Glad I'm reading this first thing in the morning not late at night. :o . My only real ghostly experience was only discovered in retrospect but I've heard plenty of scary stories in my time. 

What is it about Christmas and ghost stories? Last night some channel was showing Charles Dickens 'The Signalman' with the late Denholm Elliot, properly creeped me out it did. Then it was Christopher Lee. I retreated to bed.:worry: