Monogram 1/48 he111

At the persistent request of my partner in modelling crime @BIG X (i'm in no way saying his models are criminal - some of mines certainly are) i present a LONG project.

the old but pretty nice monogram (believe now re-boxed as a revell) he111.

there aren't that many parts to this and the instructions are at points to say the least vague.  Oh and whoever designed the way the main landing gear attaches - kudos for coming up with the most ridiculous way to attach something that has to bear any weight.

got it primed (after having to get the wings un-superglued) then got as far as putting the lower colour on and the airbrush and/or compressor packed in :(

so, in for a penny in for a pound.  The whole of the upper colour is brush painted.  Me? Worried?.......

main colours are humbrol acrylics, cockpit and wheel wells valejo and some tamiya for other bits and bobs.

decals were (i think) aeromaster and did NOT want to play.....

anyway it's finished now and i would say i'd not do a kit of this size again (oh, apart from the tk maxx typhoon that constantly mocks me.....).

since it's christmas, be nice 😆

25399278678_ab8e3e4fe6_o_d.jpg

24403736837_3a84da7708_o_d.jpg

25313548908_2a54c46a1d_k_d.jpg

39151571272_7e62143c48_k_d.jpg

24403736087_87830f3b58_k_d.jpg

ps not sure what's up with my camera.....

merry Christmas folks!

Edited by Lawzer
  • Like 14

Great job all round,painting look's excellent.

25399278678_4820837fcb_b.jpg

I don't think we Flickr user's ever did find out what causes the issue withposting,Here's my new method,click on the downward arrow with the bar under.

Click on view all sizes,right click with cursor on photo,click on copy image address then paste into post as usual.

• Like 2

Good looking build!

I'm skeptical to this current fashion of dark-shading every panel joint and light-shading every panel, though. It's seems to be mostly a modeller's fancy and not much to do with how real planes look.

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 2

@Spitfire31 ... Personally i think preshading or blackbasing does help paint-schemes. I think it helps give life to a dull camouflage color. Besides Lawzers great example above I would point out specifically in modern grey, grey, & more grey camouflage schemes. They need as much help as they can get to be interesting. I agree 100% its not what real planes look like though. 

Dennis

• Like 2

On 25 December 2017 at 08:46, BIG X said:

It looks BIG and as I'm considering adding the new ICM one to the stash - just how big is it???

Wingspan about 18 inches and about 14 1/2 inches long....mahoosive! :)

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

@Spitfire31 ... Personally i think preshading or blackbasing does help paint-schemes. I think it helps give life to a dull camouflage color. Besides Lawzers great example above I would point out specifically in modern grey, grey, & more grey camouflage schemes. They need as much help as they can get to be interesting. I agree 100% its not what real planes look like though. 

Dennis

I didn't mean it to come out that pronounced. I did pre shade it but there was a bit of an issue with the humbrol and gloss coat then the final flat coat brought it out more...

• Like 1

On 25/12/2017 at 06:32, Spitfire31 said:

Good looking build!

I'm skeptical to this current fashion of dark-shading every panel joint and light-shading every panel, though. It's seems to be mostly a modeller's fancy and not much to do with how real planes look.

Kind regards,

Joachim

I agree 100% with your comments on post and pre shading.

• Like 1

Excellent build...love the shading!

Regarding the camera, check the white balance.  It seems like your Kelvins are out of whack...too warm, like old 'daylight' color film.  Try cooling it off with whatever software you're using, or check the camera.

• Like 1

On ‎26‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 20:42, Lawzer said:

Wingspan about 18 inches and about 14 1/2 inches long....mahoosive! :)

mahoosive - it's youwj!!!!!!

• Haha 1

I think the prreshading is fine on your He.111. I didn't mean for it to sound like it was bad. I think that happens sometimes with preshading and glosscoats. What color did you use for your preshading ? I find that if you use a darker shade of the main color its enough to see but not overpower. In this case a darker shade of sandgelb. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I think the prreshading is fine on your He.111. I didn't mean for it to sound like it was bad. I think that happens sometimes with preshading and glosscoats. What color did you use for your preshading ? I find that if you use a darker shade of the main color its enough to see but not overpower. In this case a darker shade of sandgelb. 

Originally i was going to prime it in white and go for the "sun bleached" look (being a med based machine) butvthe can of primer gave me problems on another kit so went for the standard grey.  Pre shading was thinned black as i've not had a great deal of success before and sod's law it came out very pronounced this time ;)

i do quite like it the way it's come out though 👍

• Like 1