This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

limeypilot

Heinkel 111P-2, Airfix 1:72, plus some extras

11 hours ago, hendie said:

coming together very nicely.  Re: the cracked transparency... legend has it that a few aircraft of the time were involved in a bit of a tiff so I'm sure at least one aircraft around that time flew with a cracked window - I'd count it as 'weathering'

I believe I heard something about that, so I'll go with that scenario!

10 hours ago, TheBaron said:

For some reason the forum software isn't letting me give any likes  to this thread but consider those last few updates well and truly liked Ian.

The whole cockpit region is a lesson in precision and detail.

Great to see you cracking on with soldering too!

Highly likeable. :thumbsup:

Tony

Many thanks Tony! A decent iron certainly helps with the soldering....

8 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Just caught up while cooking Sunday lunch. Wonderful work on this, the office is looking splendid, all the extra work you’re putting in paying off in spades. I must really try and pop in more often. Nice one Ian.

B) John.

Thanks John,  I hope lunch was edible after spending your time here! 

OK, so after having fixed something that apparently didn't need fixing anyway, just a little patience, I moved on with the canopy parts.

First, I tried to figure out how to attach the wiring on the engine gauges. The answer was, don't! They are simply bent to look right and left at that.

39826241811_a592508943_k.jpg

No point in making additional work when it's not needed! Then the lower canopy parts were attached.

25953359538_d91fcce133_k.jpg

39826239941_7ed79ae50d_k.jpg

25953357718_5d58ae0067_k.jpg

The secret is SLOW! Get it lined up, tack it with Plastic Weld, then gentle pressure to keep it where it needs to be. Finally, Plastic Weld carefully let into the seems, to secure it all where it needs to be. It WILL line up nicely, just don't try to do it all at once, and be patient!

Next up, the ventral gondola. Again, patience, line it up carefully, then zap it!

25953361898_b5a7a63e23_k.jpg

The forward fairing part was attached first, and needed a little careful sanding around the edges to get it to fit without spreading the sides of the main clear part and making that too wide to fit properly. Once again, patience and constant trial fitting is required. The rear part, with the MG attachment, seems to fit pretty much perfectly, so it will be tacked on for painting, then removed to add the gun and reattached and touched up afterwards. That's the plan anyway.

Then I had to think about the gunner's seat, something I'd been putting off. I used Jammy Dog micro masking tape for the sling and then added a piece of Tamiya tape cut to shape for the seat part. It was all given a coat of RLM02 and a grey wash.

39826243451_29a12c9895_k.jpg

39117025814_68072a556c_k.jpg

38927489165_bc26b1edd1_k.jpg

I'm happy with that, so it was glued in place

39826238591_93038eedb3_k.jpg

That, folks, is where she sits tonight. Progress may be slow from now on as I have an interview next weekend in Dubai. Flying out on Friday night and returning Monday morning. A long weekend beckons, and if I get the job, an even longer hiatus with training and relocation......I'll keep you all posted!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot

Seconded!

Dubai eh? Good luck with the interview Ian :)

That last update is a cracker - lovely work on that sling!

The very best of luck regarding Dubai Ian - sounds like a big leap and I wish you well with the interview process. :thumbsup2:

Tony

Those ineriors are superb!!!:clap:

Very nice result and great job on those windows with all that stuff in them!!!

Well done!!!:yes:

Edited by massimo

Great stuff. Dinner was yummy thanks.;) man in multi task shocker. :fool:

good luck with the interview.

Johnny.

Hi all!

No modeling update, but I got back from Dubai last night to find an email containing a job offer! 

I will be training in Dallas for a couple of weeks from the middle of Feb, then back home to sort things out before shipping off to Abu Dhabi. Needless to say, modeling is going to have to take a back seat, and indeed will not be possible for the first 3 months I'm out there, until I get myself an apartment and have my stuff shipped. I will still pop in here to annoy people once in a while though, just so you don't get too comfortable!

Any UAE based members on here with advice on good areas to look for an apartment/any model shops in the UAE or anything else I may need to know that's not mentioned in the standard immigration procedures gumpf, please feel free to chip in!

Bestest,

Ian

As has been said already Congratulations on the new job - hope training goes well

Roger 

Great news Ian, well done! I hope the training and move go well :) 

Ian,  just to add my congratulations on your new appointment.

Looking forward to photographs of you in your new work attire.

giphy.gif

On 30/01/2018 at 22:11, limeypilot said:

Hi all!

No modeling update, but I got back from Dubai last night to find an email containing a job offer! 

I will be training in Dallas for a couple of weeks from the middle of Feb, then back home to sort things out before shipping off to Abu Dhabi. Needless to say, modeling is going to have to take a back seat, and indeed will not be possible for the first 3 months I'm out there, until I get myself an apartment and have my stuff shipped. I will still pop in here to annoy people once in a while though, just so you don't get too comfortable!

Any UAE based members on here with advice on good areas to look for an apartment/any model shops in the UAE or anything else I may need to know that's not mentioned in the standard immigration procedures gumpf, please feel free to chip in!

Bestest,

Ian

Unfortunately there's not much here in Dubai, I can only think of one shop which sells models and supplies, it's called "otaku me"

best of luck :)

harry