Heinkel 111P-2, Airfix 1:72, plus some extras

Brandy

On 9/20/2019 at 6:21 PM, CedB said:

Looking good Ian :) 

I like those tyres - good tip. 

Thanks Ced, I omitted to state that I gave the tyres a blow over with a light grey before the dry brushing of pastels.

Floor polish and an airbrush....not something I've ever tried before, but it seems to be accepted so I went for it. No thinning, neat floor polish...

It works!

So on with the decals!

I started with the small stuff, and all went well until....I pressed a little too hard when applying the decals just behind the cockpit. There followed an awful crunching noise and the lower cockpit joints separated. AAAAGH!

48770474858_fffa0a249b_z.jpg

I applied some liquid glue and it appears that it has wicked ok and resealed the joint along the bottom. I will have to repaint though....again! The split also appears to have gone a little further up the side into the green area but I'm not going to try to put glue in there as there are now decals in the way. Hopefully it won't be too obvious!

Progress so far has most of the cockpit and forward fuselage done and starting on the wings, staying strictly by the numbers on the decals so I don't lose track of where I am!

The wheels, gear doors, and props have been done out of sequence though.

48770806136_54c56e4837_z.jpg

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

• Like 10

48760617671_0ea01024e9_z.jpg

Suspiciously like erotic asphyxiation of a Heinkel going on there... (Don't look children)

Sincerely hope that nasty crack glued  back into place ok Ian. Nightmare thing to happen when the paintwork was just getting to that settled state  but it's  happened to all of us in various ways.

Either way it's in good hands with you to correct it.

Decals ahoy!

• Haha 6

ouch.  as my learned colleagues above have stated:  extremely bad luck, but it couldn't be in better hands for restorative surgery

it seems the closer that camera gets, the better the paint job looks.  That never happens in my builds

• Like 1

Thanks chaps!

I repainted the area where the crack appeared today and all appears ok. Not as good as it was originally but definitely acceptable. I then had another "moment" when I realised that one of the decals right on the edge of the area in question was missing. I found it attached to the masking tape, which was something I was fearing but hoping to avoid. Unbelievably I managed to ease a number 11 blade under it and gently eased it off without damage. It now resides where it is supposed to, on the lower fuselage side once more!

There will now be a short interlude, on account of we had a cancellation which left me with 5 consecutive days off. So last night I decided to make a trip I've wanted to make for some time and booked a flight, car, and hotel. I'll be spending those days in Canakkale, just across from the Gallipoli peninsula, from where I will be able to visit the battlefields. Troy is also only 25km away!

I'll be peaking in now and then when able, but I'll see you again on Monday!

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

• Like 7

Just a quick update to let you know this is still plodding along.

Progress has been made, it's just been slow as there are a LOT of stencils to apply! They're now all done....

48828503167_3bfd92197c_z.jpg

48828344081_3423a8c8c1_z.jpg

and as I have a late start tomorrow (6pm) I should be able to finish the decaling!

Thanks for looking in,

Ian

• Like 11

Morning all!

The stencils settled down nicely, so this morning I completed the decaling. The swastikas are, unfortunately, not provided on the kit decal sheet. I appreciate that in certain countries they are banned, and a lot of people have a dislike of the symbolism despite the fact that it has been in use for centuries as a good luck charm. However if I'm modelling a subject that had them, then my model should have them too - I do feel that it should be the modeller's choice as to whether or not they add them.These come from the Squadron sheet. 

48831241456_1e160bfb78_z.jpg

48831409927_63a35aec56_z.jpg

48831409857_d97ece93ce_z.jpg

48831241286_d4d067947f_z.jpg

The Squadron shield is in the wrong place. I had no choice as I have not painted the front two fuselage windows which is where the shield should go. Apparently they're not on the P variant and Airfix could have been a little clearer about that!

They've now been given a coat of "Number 2" (Micro Sol) and that's it for today!

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

• Like 16

8 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

I appreciate that in certain countries they are banned, and a lot of people have a dislike of the symbolism despite the fact that it has been in use for centuries as a good luck charm. However if I'm modelling a subject that had them, then my model should have them too - I do feel that it should be the modeller's choice as to whether or not they add them.

I tend to agree Ian. The decals do look nicely settled.

Stuart

• Like 1

Looking sharp! 😮

As to the swaz, that representation of the symbol is illegal in certain countries, reasons known. Some manufacturers get around it by having it split in two on the decal sheet rather than as one whole.

• Like 2

On 10/2/2019 at 5:38 PM, Rudolf Korachkin said:

Nice progress and excellent work! Will be following

Rudolf

Thanks Rudolf!

On 10/2/2019 at 7:20 PM, Thom216 said:

Looking sharp! 😮

As to the swaz, that representation of the symbol is illegal in certain countries, reasons known. Some manufacturers get around it by having it split in two on the decal sheet rather than as one whole.

Cheers Thom. I understand that, but a decal in a box is not visible. It should still be provided and left to the modeler to decide if he/she wants to add it. Let's face it, most will never be seen outside the builder's home!

On 10/2/2019 at 3:17 PM, Courageous said:

I tend to agree Ian. The decals do look nicely settled.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart!

11 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice work Ian - looking forward to the masking coming off :) 

Wait no more Ced!

I got a matt coat on her this morning so this afternoon, after watching South Africa annihilate Italy, (sorry Giorgio and Massimo!) I got out hte number 11 blade and tweezers, and removed the masking! Always the best bit!

48843499037_20e87e32de_z.jpg

48843315196_5781a001bb_z.jpg

48843498877_2ab11f91b4_z.jpg

48843314981_2fb44b188b_z.jpg

48843314911_5dcc5ef771_z.jpg

48843498412_56ae470817_z.jpg

48842945163_15f2ef1b81_z.jpg

and with the last piece of masking to be removed, off came some paint from one of the tyres....

48842945358_4029304959_z.jpg

oh well....it could have been worse!

I think the Eduard masks have to be given a 10 out of 10. Even those I removed and reattached left a nice crisp edge. A few small spots needing a touch up but mostly perfect. I'm very happy happy with that!

I was going to add some weathering, but after a dismal effort with the pastels, trying them both dry and as a wash I wiped it all off and gave up. Part of the problem is the size of the moulded panel lines which makes it difficult to add any sort of weathering without further emphasizing them. I did add some exhaust staining, and I'm not 100% happy with that either, but it will do for now!

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

• Like 15
  • Haha 1

That looks great. Sieht soweit super aus! Musst Dir keine Sorgen machen. Die Reifen sehen super aus und passen so sehr gut!!!

Great looking one, when it's finisihed, even it's/was a Nazi plane. Not a nice thought, but a nice looking aircraft at all.

Cheers Benedikt

Edited by bbudde
Ahh!! Please donate for new pair of glasses!!! Cheers
  • Like 1

On 10/4/2019 at 11:39 PM, bbudde said:

That looks great. Sieht soweit super aus! Musst Dir keine Sorgen machen. Die Reifen sehen super aus und passen so sehr gut!!!

Great looking one, when it's finisihed, even it's/was a Nazi plane. Not a nice thought, but a nice looking aircraft at all.

Cheers Benedikt

Vielen dank Benedikt!

On 10/5/2019 at 12:14 AM, Thom216 said:

A little fixer-up here'n'there, but that's just par fro the course! Looking good with the 'glass' exposed.

Thanks Thom!

On 10/5/2019 at 1:16 AM, hendie said:

very nice Ian.  It looks like just minimal touch ups here and there.  Very impressed with that paint job.

Cheers Hendie, I must admit I'm pretty pleased with it myself!

On 10/5/2019 at 3:36 AM, Andwil said:

That is a terrific finish.

AW

Thanks AW!

On 10/5/2019 at 12:30 PM, The Spadgent said:

Lovely stuff. A bit of a tease though. I gots to see more! 😃😃😃😃

Johnny

More of what Johnny?? Thanks anyway!

A day off today gave the hope of finishing the upgrades to the landing gear, but that didn't work out as planned. I broke of one of the soldered pieces trying to get it just that tiny bit straighter, then spent a couple of hours trying to resolder another one after it just vanished into the ether! I saw it roll off the bench and drop and that was it. Even though I don't have a carpet it just vanished. Another one was made, but for some reason it wouldn't solder and kept sticking to the iron every time I tried to move the iron away! If it did stick, it was crooked! That went on for a couple of hours, with me getting very frustrated at now not being able to solder when I thought I 'd had it sussed. 

Eventually I got it done and managed to get one leg completed.

Here is how it looks compared to the kit part.

48871683306_8972daa425_z.jpg

I will add a couple of small pieces of thin plastic strip to represent the brackets attached to the legs and that should see the gear upgrades done. I just hope it is strong enough....we'll see!

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, limeypilot said:
On 10/5/2019 at 9:30 AM, The Spadgent said:

More of what Johnny?? Thanks anyway!

Sorry. I meant more of the weathering, then I re read and you said you removed it. 😩 even still she’s looking fabulous. Nice landing gear reconstruct too. Fingers crossed for strength. 🙌

johnny.

• Like 1

Just a small update, but we're nearing the end of this one!

The landing gear upgrades are finished and they have been painted, I hope to attach the gear and finish this build tomorrow. The tail wheel has also been drilled and made ready.

48909539288_3420c5dd85_z.jpg

The axle is .016" brss rod.

More pics when it's all done!

and my next project....

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 6