Heinkel 111P-2, Airfix 1:72, plus some extras

Brandy

On 9/8/2019 at 12:03 AM, CedB said:

Nice soldering Ian :) 

Thanks Ced, I think I'm slowly getting the hang of it!

I also managed a little more (slow) progress this week. I got some paint on the tyres and spent most of this morning masking. I never realised how long masking takes as most of mine are biplanes and therefore painted before the wings go on! Anyway, the job was completed in time for me to get the airbrush fired up and give her a blast of RLM71 dark green!

She's now complaining , it's not easy apparently...

:coat:

48726579896_a81c07d8e8_z.jpg

48726251133_b79276d2fb_z.jpg

I think a second coat won't hurt, I'll see what it looks like when it's properly dry. I like the "streaky" appearance, but want it fairly subtle, otherwise the decals will look odd being solid colour.

Have a great weekend all, and thanks for looking in!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 14

On 9/13/2019 at 5:18 PM, CedB said:

Nice :) 

20 hours ago, hendie said:

I concur wiv 'im above

19 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Wot he said. :)

Steve.

Well at least you all agree, even if you can't think of anything to say! 😆 Thanks chaps!

18 hours ago, Roy vd M. said:

Beautiful layer of paint on one of the most beautifully designed bombers in aviation history!

Thanks Roy, it is rather a smooth design for a bomber I must admit. I also like the Mk.I Blenheim, it's a similar look, but a bit more "British Bulldog"!

I did indeed manage to splurt a bit more paint on her last evening, just in those areas that needed it and I'm happy with it so far.

Since I had an early start at work today it meant an early finish, so I spent a couple of hours playing with masking tape and paper. Here's where we are at close of play today...

48732237278_4cda551219_z.jpg

Another (even earlier) start tomorrow so I hope to get the masking finished and maybe even get some RLM70 on her!

Have a great evening, and thanks for looking in chaps!

Ian

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

Pleasant purposeful painting and steadfast solid soldering Ian - nice catching up with progress on this as always.

I've  a Revell boxing of one of these I hope to build as a balloon-cutter one day.

• Like 1

She’s looking splendid. You do realise that when I build mine I have to fix the UC also. You swine. 🤣😇🙌

Nice soldering too. 👌

But the paint! 🥳 Aceness, looking forward to that splinter pattern going down. 🤗

Johnny

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Pleasant purposeful painting and steadfast solid soldering Ian - nice catching up with progress on this as always.

I've  a Revell boxing of one of these I hope to build as a balloon-cutter one day.

Thanks Tony!

7 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

She’s looking splendid. You do realise that when I build mine I have to fix the UC also. You swine. 🤣😇🙌

Nice soldering too. 👌

But the paint! 🥳 Aceness, looking forward to that splinter pattern going down. 🤗

Johnny

Cheers Johnny! The only purpose of making others aware of the improvements needed is to cajole them into doing likewise, nothing whatsoever to do with actually improving mine!

5 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice masking Ian, very neat :) 

Thanks Cerdic! More follows.....

After finishing work early this afternoon I set to finishing the masking. After a couple of hours all is done (including the transparencies not yet fitted, I haven't forgotten them!)

48736569443_ccc2758733_z.jpg

48736893041_39860c6f4b_z.jpg

No mojo left today for spraying so it'll have to wait, but at least that's done!

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

• Like 14

3 minutes ago, hendie said:

looking very nice Ian. the seam between glazing and fuselage has turned out well

Thanks H! Hopefully it will still look ok once all the masking is removed. I had a bit of a moment when I noticed Airfix don't actually show the forward windows (in the bomb bay) on the painting guide. Also the Norwegian example doesn't have them, nor can I find a pic of a P-2 that has them! Not sure whether I should splash a little PPP on the joints and remove the masks.....

Ian

• Like 1

On 9/15/2019 at 9:23 PM, SaminCam said:

Looking sharp Ian! 

Thanks Sam!

22 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Where did my top drawer emoticon vanish too? 🙌

What? It's not in the top drawer? You're getting careless Johnny! Thanks all the same!

Well, an unexpected early finish today (I had to go to Dubai for a course and it finished earlier than I expected it would) meant that I could get on with the painting.....

RLM70 Schwarzgrun was order of the day today...

48743312461_783e591840_z.jpg

48742979098_45000b3c3a_z.jpg

I left it for an hour or two then began removing the multitude of mismatched masking materials (@The Baron) which had been applied over the preceding days.

The best bit!

48742978773_f0dccf1870_z.jpg

48743312111_a760850a4a_z.jpg

48742979658_eec31717f7_z.jpg

48742979268_8dbcd3821f_z.jpg

48742979503_cfbaa67687_z.jpg

I'm pretty chuffed with that!

The edges are a little rough along the port wing leading edge where I masked around the pitot tube, and the edges under the cowlings may need a little tidying up, but other than that I'm very happy!

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 17

The more I looked at this the more  I wasn't happy with the demarcation lines so I tried to find a few more pics online. Most of what I found indicated a far higher demarcation line along the fuselage and a wrap around of the upper colours under the wing leading edges. Then I found this one of an aircraft from the same squadron, at the same period (mid 1940)

48760635831_31e363f757_z.jpg

I think the artwork is wrong as far as the forward edge of the underside demarcation goes. The pic seems to show the front edge of that line about level with the forward gondola window but the artwork shows it further back. Looking at the pic I think that I have the demarcation line at the correct level (about the level of the middle of the upper row of ventral gondola windows as opposed to above the windows on most pics), but I need to round the front end off instead of having it squared off as per the Airfix illustration. I also need to wrap the upper colours further around the wing leading edge.

48760295938_89989e1afa_z.jpg

48760617431_5fb8f3ff20_z.jpg

As a result of that I have spent a couple of hours this afternoon re masking to correct those issues.

48760804457_28605e0a14_z.jpg

48760617671_0ea01024e9_z.jpg

I also need to respray the prop backplates in the camo colour (as indicated in the instructions for the other version, but for some reason, not this one!)

This would have been far easier if I'd done the research before spraying the first time, but it has to be right.

More painting tomorrow then!

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 13

18 hours ago, Hamden said:

Really coming together now looks superb with the camo on!

Roger

Thanks Roger!

15 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Paint looks great. Good luck with the second take. 🙌

johnny

Cheers Johnny, second take a success, see below!

As you might have guessed, the painting has been done. 

48764378611_7ab778801b_z.jpg

48764052023_9a3fd0e345_z.jpg

48764378431_c37966d4d8_z.jpg

I'm MUCH happier with that now.

48764378291_164583b186_z.jpg

See? I told you it was green!

The next job then, was to fit the radiator covers. I'd dry fitted them earlier and noted that the fit wasn't too good but somehow forgot how bad! The nacelles required a little filing down on the inner edges to make them the same width as the cowlings, then a little PPP was added, and, of course, more repainting! DOH!

I keep getting caught out by the different build sequence of WWII subjects. Oh well, all a good learning experience!

In between all that I decided to add a wash to the wheel wells and try to make the tyres a little more realistic. I'd already sanded a flat spot onto the kit tyres, which improves the look, now I added a wash to the treads and dry brushed some lighter grey pastels over the rest of the tyres on top of the gloss back, which is all I had to spray them with. I tried to get some Vallejo Tyre Black but the local supplier ran out!

48764378671_a16acb8e49_z.jpg

Anyway, I'm happy with the result, and I learnt another new technique to boot!

Gloss coat next, then some decals!

Thanks for looking in, and have a great weekend!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 10