Heinkel 111P-2, Airfix 1:72, plus some extras

Brandy

11 hours ago, hendie said:

coming together very nicely.  Re: the cracked transparency... legend has it that a few aircraft of the time were involved in a bit of a tiff so I'm sure at least one aircraft around that time flew with a cracked window - I'd count it as 'weathering'

I believe I heard something about that, so I'll go with that scenario!

10 hours ago, TheBaron said:

For some reason the forum software isn't letting me give any likes  to this thread but consider those last few updates well and truly liked Ian.

The whole cockpit region is a lesson in precision and detail.

Great to see you cracking on with soldering too!

Highly likeable. :thumbsup:

Tony

Many thanks Tony! A decent iron certainly helps with the soldering....

8 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Just caught up while cooking Sunday lunch. Wonderful work on this, the office is looking splendid, all the extra work you’re putting in paying off in spades. I must really try and pop in more often. Nice one Ian.

B) John.

Thanks John,  I hope lunch was edible after spending your time here! 

OK, so after having fixed something that apparently didn't need fixing anyway, just a little patience, I moved on with the canopy parts.

First, I tried to figure out how to attach the wiring on the engine gauges. The answer was, don't! They are simply bent to look right and left at that.

39826241811_a592508943_k.jpg

No point in making additional work when it's not needed! Then the lower canopy parts were attached.

25953359538_d91fcce133_k.jpg

39826239941_7ed79ae50d_k.jpg

25953357718_5d58ae0067_k.jpg

The secret is SLOW! Get it lined up, tack it with Plastic Weld, then gentle pressure to keep it where it needs to be. Finally, Plastic Weld carefully let into the seems, to secure it all where it needs to be. It WILL line up nicely, just don't try to do it all at once, and be patient!

Next up, the ventral gondola. Again, patience, line it up carefully, then zap it!

25953361898_b5a7a63e23_k.jpg

The forward fairing part was attached first, and needed a little careful sanding around the edges to get it to fit without spreading the sides of the main clear part and making that too wide to fit properly. Once again, patience and constant trial fitting is required. The rear part, with the MG attachment, seems to fit pretty much perfectly, so it will be tacked on for painting, then removed to add the gun and reattached and touched up afterwards. That's the plan anyway.

Then I had to think about the gunner's seat, something I'd been putting off. I used Jammy Dog micro masking tape for the sling and then added a piece of Tamiya tape cut to shape for the seat part. It was all given a coat of RLM02 and a grey wash.

39826243451_29a12c9895_k.jpg

39117025814_68072a556c_k.jpg

38927489165_bc26b1edd1_k.jpg

I'm happy with that, so it was glued in place

39826238591_93038eedb3_k.jpg

That, folks, is where she sits tonight. Progress may be slow from now on as I have an interview next weekend in Dubai. Flying out on Friday night and returning Monday morning. A long weekend beckons, and if I get the job, an even longer hiatus with training and relocation......I'll keep you all posted!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 14

That last update is a cracker - lovely work on that sling!

The very best of luck regarding Dubai Ian - sounds like a big leap and I wish you well with the interview process. :thumbsup2:

Tony

• Like 1

Hi all!

No modeling update, but I got back from Dubai last night to find an email containing a job offer! 

I will be training in Dallas for a couple of weeks from the middle of Feb, then back home to sort things out before shipping off to Abu Dhabi. Needless to say, modeling is going to have to take a back seat, and indeed will not be possible for the first 3 months I'm out there, until I get myself an apartment and have my stuff shipped. I will still pop in here to annoy people once in a while though, just so you don't get too comfortable!

Any UAE based members on here with advice on good areas to look for an apartment/any model shops in the UAE or anything else I may need to know that's not mentioned in the standard immigration procedures gumpf, please feel free to chip in!

Bestest,

Ian

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

On 30/01/2018 at 22:11, limeypilot said:

Hi all!

No modeling update, but I got back from Dubai last night to find an email containing a job offer! 

I will be training in Dallas for a couple of weeks from the middle of Feb, then back home to sort things out before shipping off to Abu Dhabi. Needless to say, modeling is going to have to take a back seat, and indeed will not be possible for the first 3 months I'm out there, until I get myself an apartment and have my stuff shipped. I will still pop in here to annoy people once in a while though, just so you don't get too comfortable!

Any UAE based members on here with advice on good areas to look for an apartment/any model shops in the UAE or anything else I may need to know that's not mentioned in the standard immigration procedures gumpf, please feel free to chip in!

Bestest,

Ian

Unfortunately there's not much here in Dubai, I can only think of one shop which sells models and supplies, it's called "otaku me"

best of luck :)

harry

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Evening all! 

Having now finished the Pfalz pair, and since this is further on than the Fairey Battle, this will be back on the bench next to get it finished! 

I look forward to seeing you all soon!

Ian

• Like 4

Ooh! Now following, as I only joined BM after this build went into stasis last year. I’ve got one of these patiently waiting in my stash for enough room to display it properly when finished, so I’ll be going back over the thread and making notes. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Right folks, where were we.....

I spent some time last night giving this a good looking at and trying to remember what I needed to do next.I did remember that the main reason I put it aside was that I didn't want to leave the masking on for an indefinite time so that is where I started. 

Wait, what? 

48552538642_4b570a9f82_z.jpg

and you guys complain about rigging??? I'll never listen to your whining about complicated rigging again! 😆

Anyway, after figuring out how the instructions are laid out I started attacking the clear bits with tiny pieces of sticky paper, paying particular attention to getting the edges aligned so that the panels don't look wonky.

After a whole afternoon, I ended up cross-eyed, but had achieved this....

48552391066_b729a98ff4_z.jpg

48552390806_f9ff734471_z.jpg

48552539107_7e2bf83a93_z.jpg

48552390336_8c1d30e39b_z.jpg

I'm happy with that! But I might add some shims to the inner edges of the flaps to close the gaps a little,

I also added the fuselage windows. Strangely enough the front and rear on each side fitted well, but the centre 2 each side needed a little fettling and still sit proud.

48552538377_bc29d9373a_z.jpg

The plan for tomorrow is to sand those side windows down and micromesh them, then spray a coat of the interior colours onto the transparencies to give a base that will be seen from inside, and also to touch up the undercarriage bays.

I don't have any liquid mask, that was ordered today, but I should still be able to complete the rest of the panels.

I've also looked at the panels with the guns mounted in them, ie the nose, and rear underside panels. They both appear to fit very nicely without any sanding/fettling needed so they will be painted separately and fitted, with guns installed, right at the end so I don't risk snapping the barrels off.

That's the plan....

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, limeypilot said:

I needed to do next.I did remember that the main reason I put it aside was that I didn't want to leave the masking on for an indefinite time so that is where I started. 

Wait, what? 

48552538642_4b570a9f82_z.jpg

and you guys complain about rigging??? I'll never listen to your whining about complicated rigging again! 😆

Anyway, after figuring out how the instructions are laid out I started attacking the clear bits with tiny pieces of sticky paper, paying particular attention to getting the edges aligned so that the panels don't look wonky.

After a whole afternoon, I ended up cross-eyed, but had achieved this....

48552391066_b729a98ff4_z.jpg

48552390806_f9ff734471_z.jpg

48552539107_7e2bf83a93_z.jpg

48552390336_8c1d30e39b_z.jpg

Hello Ian. Lovely working on that . I hate masking, but you should be glad someone make maskings for it. Anyway great work and encouragement on that fixing without knowing, if the paint job leads to sucsess as you want it to be. Like me on getting to sports by someone, if not neccessary. Cheers

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=234221585936884

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 1

Thanks Giorgio and Benedikt!

The shims I mentioned above were not done. Instead I removed the flaps and added some PPP to the inner edge of the flap openings. There is a slight step between upper and lower wings so that took care of that and reduced the gap when viewed from above.

Does anyone else notice something wrong here?

48557594391_a8956b6843_z.jpg

Fortunately I did, before I started painting. Eduard have omitted a mask for the rear perspex panel! There's enough spare material on the set to make one up though, at least it's an easy shape!

48557731232_f4665615f9_z.jpg

After taking care of that, and finishing off the side windows, I completed the masking and set to with the airbrush. The underside windows and wheel wells were given a coat of RLM02 (the latter just a touching up and making sure everything was covered, including the area to the rear of the radiators) and the cockpit panels a coat of RLM66 (or grey green and dark grey if you prefer!).

48557731127_777aea8341_z.jpg

There are a couple of tiny areas needing attention on the underside but nothing major, just a couple of gaps where the filler missed!.

48557594016_9f4517dcb7_z.jpg

48557730882_88dd7972aa_z.jpg

I then "threw" some gloss black on the wheel hubs and exhaust areas of the cowlings. I'm using the resin wheels simply because I prefer them, but I'm using the kit tail wheel mounting, after having removed the kit wheel from the moulding. The resin tailwheel needed thinning slightly to fit but not so much that the detail was lost.

48557731447_750b549a5e_z.jpg

48557730777_37affc8396_z.jpg

I did think about whether to add the black to the exhausts yet, or leave it until the end. Despite it probably being easier to mask the engines and spray the black, the inner exhausts are tricky to get at so I opted for the trickier masking later and reducing the chance of getting overspray everywhere!

That's about it for today apart from some fiddling around sorting out other bits.

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 8

Ps. Bugger! 

The resin wheels are also too wide. Back to square one, use the kit wheels, sand the seems, lose the tread detail, rescribe.....etc, etc....

OR

Do the same thing I did with the Battle and cut the wheels in half vertically to reduce the width. But then I still have the seems......

Decisions.....

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 4
  • Sad 2