Calums 2017

Calum

With only a few days until I head home for a 3 week break it’s time to call the 2017 modelling year Done. 

Whilst compiling this post I’ve realised this year has resulted in record number of completions. Quite surprising noting I’ve had a few long periods away from the bench, I guess ignoring the family helps :D

First of the bench in 2017 was Kinetic’s 1/48 Sea Harrier FRS-1. Not a bad kit but it does need a bit of work to get a good result. 

Sea-Harrier-FRS-77.jpg

Sea-Harrier-FRS-60.jpg

Second was the 1/48 Eduard Spitfire Mk VIII in the markings of RAAF's lead ace GPCAPT Clive Caldwell,

The Eduard Spitfires are probably my favourite 1/48 scale prop kit. This is the third one I've built and all have been enjoyable builds. 

Spitfire-VIII-02-34.jpg

Spitfire-VIII-02-30.jpg

Up next is the 1/48 Tamiya Panzer IV Ausf, J. I do dabble in 1/48 armour. I like the scale as it goes with most of my aircraft builds and they are generally simple builds. This was built for the NSW Scale Model Show’s “Panzer Tracks” Trophy  

Panzer-IVJ-12.jpg

Panzer-IVJ-20.jpg

Next was the 1/48 Eduard Messerschmitt BF-109F4. I built this kit as I could not sell it, plus it annoys a mate whenever I build a “loser plane”. I did like the mish mash scheme on this aircraft. 

IMHO the Eduard 109 is not quite as easy a build as the Spitfires but they’re not far off. Much of the PE in the profilpack is a waste of time so I think I’ll stick the weekend editions for any future builds.

me109F4-23.jpg

me109F4-29.jpg

My favourite build of the year was Tamiya superb 1/48 F-14A Tomcat in VF 41 “Black Aces”  markings. This is the best engineered kit I’ve ever built to date. I really hope they do the whole family, but you never know with Tamiya….

F-14A-35.jpg

F-14A-52.jpg

F-14A-55.jpg

Highlight of the year was a trip A mate and I did a trip to the US together to visit a few museums and air shows. We also went flying in a B-17

26874151709_07a4e4a231_o.jpg

38149675972_a6aeb54210_o.jpg

37771180451_e15de20460_o.jpg

37890099422_681684217b_o.jpg

38102146092_daf1a1b64b_o.jpg

Shortly after we returned I finished a Hasegawa 1/48 Douglas A-4K Skyhawk. I wanted to use one of the coastal kits blurred bases. I’ve chosen a 2 Squadron RNZAF aircraft as I served on that Sqn in 1990’s.

A-4K-02-28.jpg

A-4K-02-19.jpg

Seventh was the Kinetic Mirage IIIO. This was a challenge build for 2017. Bruce , as usual, didn’t finish in time.

The kit is same quality as the Sea Harrier FRS-1. It takes a little bit of work but does build up into a nice model. I wasn’t fan of the Mirage before building this but I’ve grown to like the aircraft. There a couple more of the RAAF schemes that take my fancy along with a Argentine one.

Mirage-IIIO-46.jpg

Mirage-IIIO-60.jpg

Eighth was a refurbishment of a kit I first built a long time ago. So whilst I didn’t actually assemble the parts in 2017 it was stripped back repainted and weather and placed on a new base. It is the 1/48 Tamiya KV-1. 

I used this as test bed for dust techniques

KV-1--05.jpg

KV-1--03.jpg

Lying of the shelf of doom for a couple of years was this 1 / 4 scale M4A1/M203 rifle. I had been painted but I couldn’t really be bothered putting much additional effort into it so I gave it a quick wash and some dry brushing. I just need to find a way to display it

IMG_2743.jpg

IMG_2745.jpg

Last for the year was the 1/48 Haseagawa Henschel Hs 129. This is a pretty simple build, the worst bit being painting the spinners. I made masks for the main national markings rather than sue decals. I also spent a bit of time experimenting with bases. 

HS-129-10.jpg

HS-129-24.jpg

So that’s it for my 2017, a bumper year of modelling along with a great trip or 2. Next I’m going to try some 1/32 models so this should reduce the number of completions but should be an interesting challenge to try out the larger scale.

Hope everyone has a happy Christmas 2017 and a great 2018

If you’re interested in more photos of the models there pages for each build at My Blog

Or if you want to see more aircraft photos from our trip mine are here

Edited by Calum
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Sooooooooooo, take away the two refurbs, and the M4, and its not many is it:D

Fantastic effort Calum.  I completely forgot you did the Spit and the 109. 

I have to say the Harrier, Spit and tomcat are my favourites, and I think your Mirage colours are fine.

They are all good though, the base certainly suits the scooter

Looking forward to seeing what you do next year, and another trip at some stage.

Bruce

1 hour ago, pacificmustang said:

Sooooooooooo, take away the two refurbs, and the M4, and its not many is it:D

Fantastic effort Calum.  I completely forgot you did the Spit and the 109. 

I have to say the Harrier, Spit and tomcat are my favourites, and I think your Mirage colours are fine.

They are all good though, the base certainly suits the scooter

Looking forward to seeing what you do next year, and another trip at some stage.

Bruce

Only 1 refurb :D . The Skyhawk is a new build.