S&M Models 1/72 English Electric Canberra B2/T4

Wilks

Having followed the gestation of this much awaited kit, I received my order last week. Upon opening the box I was pleasantly surprised at the quality and detail staring back at me. 

I have been eagerly awaiting an accurate replacement for the old Airfix kit for quite some time so as to fill a large gap in my 1/72 RAAF collection.

The five grey and one clear sprues are crisply moulded with finely engraved panel lines consistent with any of the major manufacturers. 

38535967994_233c0eb678_z.jpgIMG_0199 

The clear part that represents the canopy and navigator windows is moulded as single part that forms a section of upper section of the aircraft - Smart! It allows for easier attachment and clean up and less chance of messing up the canopy which is such a prominent feature on the Canberra. 

24381242777_72da8524ea_z.jpgIMG_0188 

27468028889_5b84b09fa7_z.jpgIMG_0187 

The instructions are clear and the decals look very nice and are in register. While I won't use the RAF version supplied in the kit the stencils will come in handy for my RAAF examples.

Construction Part 1

Having surveyed the instructions several times it was time to remove the fuselage, cockpit, nose section and canopy. A little tidy up of each and some tape to check the fit and all looked very good, very good indeed.

38535968544_2786601ac6_z.jpgIMG_0189 

38535967734_0b94ef82e7_z.jpgIMG_0190 

Things lined up rather well especially the cockpit bulkhead to fuselage and clear plastic parts. I added the nose which for my example that will be a T4/Mk21 that does not need the clear section. To make the B2 there is a different nose section that allows for the fitment of the clear nose. Note the clear nose does not come with the T4 boxing.

The shape looks accurate to my references and way ahead of any equivalent Canberra kit that I am familiar with.

There is some nicely moulded cockpit detail on the inside of the fuselage halves, along with the parts that make up the cockpit and navigators compartment. These should come up nicely once painted and detailed. Sadly not much will be seen through the canopy.

27468028819_9e1d3e2131_z.jpgIMG_0185 

38535967424_cefd1bd946_z.jpgIMG_0174 

With that done I set these parts aside while I tried the wings and horizontal stabilizers. All good there by the looks of it.

The wing to fuselage join is a little different to most kits. Rather than a tongue and groove approach it butt joins to a lip on the fuselage. A test fit of that and it looked good too.

So it was time to break out the glue and get started.

I departed slightly from the instructions opting to get the wings well underway before detailing the cockpit and closing up the fuselage.

The main undercarriage bays go together with 6 parts that fit neatly. Too easy. They are nicely detailed and lend themselves to much more if you wanted to go further. 

These were then added to a recess on the inside of the underside half of each wing before gluing the top and bottom wing surfaces together. A nice and accurate fit with a minimal amount of clean up required.

39215351882_bb922f3e65_z.jpgIMG_0172 

27468028689_9ebf1c9a93_z.jpgIMG_0175 

I tested the wings again to the fuselage for fit and it looks like it will be a nice and close and with a bit of luck either no or just a limited amount of filler.

Next was the intakes. Each intake is comprised of two sides, a ring and intake bullet moulded together with compressor blades. These go together easily with a minimum of clean up required. These were then put into position. This required a little fettling to eliminate the need for filler. About 5 minutes each and I was done. Much easier than my recent MPM Meteor Mk8!

38535967624_fa938a294e_z.jpgIMG_0182 

24381242737_2839076d0f_z.jpgIMG_0183 

The exhausts which come in two major parts/assemblies require a little trimming of the cavity they fit in at the rear of the wing. A little fettling here goes a long way for snug fit. A little filler was required to get the right result.

27468028739_4c0f795e54_z.jpgIMG_0181 

The kit doesn't come with wing tip lights so I've elected to cut these out and will add some clear sprue and I'll fashion my own.

38535967604_9a7db454c7_z.jpgIMG_0184 

So far I am liking this kit - a lot.

More to come...

AGW..

Edited by Wilks
Corrected photo links
  • Like 19

There's no images showing for me.

On Flickr click on the image that you wish to post here, in the bottom right corner just below that image is a right arrow symbol - click on that.  You then have four options, click BBCode, select size 800 to 1200 best for forums, this then highlights a link, right click on it and select 'copy'.   In your post here right click and select 'paste', and your image will show in the posts.

Looking forward to seeing one of these new Canberras being built.

71 Chally, Many thanks for the advice on photo posting. Much appreciated.

Apologies to everyone else.

AGW..

Edited by Wilks
Fixed original post.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Phil, sorry to hear that. All present and accounted for across my order. Excellent service on the part of S&M Models too.

Continuing to make some progress on this one so here is Construction Part 2.

Am well advanced on the cockpit and very happy with the amount of detail in this scale. One could really go to town on this interior but sadly any major efforts won't be seen once the fuselage is closed up.

24381242917_f0b10ae08a_z.jpgIMG_0195 

I've used a bit of license here as we have picked out some of the details. I'll grubby it all up a little more before I put the fuselage together, again not that anyone will ever see it.

24381243067_a5dd7e6df9_z.jpgIMG_0201 

The kit seats are OK and could be detailed up to look quite nice. But for this one and I dare say my others I'll take a short cut with the excellent Pavla replacements. 

38535967944_4d11ba001b_z.jpgIMG_0196 

Cheers,

AGW..

Edited by Wilks
Fixed photo links...
  • Like 7

Construction Part 3

She's a big one... Dwarfs some of the kits I have been working on lately.

39284620662_d9f302ec48_z.jpg 

Added the forward undercarriage bay which was very straight forward. Like the mains it has some good detail and one could go to town on it if they wanted to. Will leave that to another build.

27468028569_541e0b099a_z.jpg 

Finished up the Pavla replacement ejection seats which came up rather well with some weathering. I rather like Flory Models 'Grime' for this work. I had to trim part 21 flush with the opposing cabin floor to ensure they fit and gave the right look under the canopy.

24450015007_8b723ed2bf_z.jpg

I elected to leave the Nav's seat out on this occasion as unlikely one will see much through the two small windows on top of this compartment.

24450016487_22cdf4015d_z.jpg

Having read and watched a few 48 scale Canberra builds I was taking no chances with the amount of nose weight. I fear I have well and truly over done it but it will sit on its gear no problem...

39284620782_c274f9816d_z.jpg

A further test fit revealed some fettling was required on the joint between the fuselage and the nose cone and the removal of some material from the top of the cockpit instrument panel - Part 13. I went as far as I could on the nose before letting the glue and filler do the remainder of the work for me.

With the addition of some tabs inside the fuselage from some plastic card it was time to join the fuselage halves. Very easy and quite a good fit and panel line alignment. Extra thin cement and capillary action worked very well. No alignment issues experienced here. 

24450015797_eba50d9bf5_z.jpg

Next came the clear part and then the nose. Once the extra thin cement had dried I noticed a bigger than normal gap at the rear of the clear part. I added a strip of card with some additional extra thin cement that took care of that.

With these dry there was some reasonable gaps and alignments to address at the join of the nose and fuselage. A little scraping with the back of a scalpel blade followed by a reasonable amount of zap-a-gap to fill the remaining gaps, and enough to ensure a good amount of material existed for some contouring to the nose where necessary. 

25444774438_73373991d5_z.jpg

24450015397_4a198500bb_z.jpg

It doesn't take too long to dry after which I used a 180, 200 and 800 grit sanding stick and some water to tidy up the seams. The same process was used for all the fuselage and fin joins. 

A little bit of work but she looks the goods...

39284622052_572241fb40_z.jpg

A little re-scribing required here and there but no different to any other kit I've completed recently.

39284620492_705d189b20_z.jpg

Cheers,

AGW..

• Like 13

Many thanks gents.

Just adding the undercarriage components which are very straightforward ahead of some undercoat to check my filling before getting her ready for paint...

I am glad I added that amount of nose weight. Look like we need it.. 

Cheers,

AGW..

• Like 1

On 26/12/2017 at 4:57 PM, Wilks said:

Having read and watched a few 48 scale Canberra builds I was taking no chances with the amount of nose weight. I fear I have well and truly over done it but it will sit on its gear no problem...

Let's hope that you undercarriage will stand up to the weight stresses.:wink:

Courageous, the gear is holding up quite well. The main gear legs are very solid and the nose gear is in nice and snug with a good purchase so not expecting any issues...

I don't think it will be doing any touch and go work so I think I am safe!

ModellerUK, the kit is a ripper and goes together easily. Everything fits bar one part that only required a minor scrape with the back of a knife to be ready to go...

It is like making any mainstream kit. In some cases better. I recently finished a couple of Vampires, a Meteor and a Macchi and it is no more difficult than any of those to construct.  The little CMR Vampire was more difficult to build.

38643261344_0d838888f1_z.jpg

I would liken it to the Airfix Vampire T11 only bigger. I humbly recommend it to you and anyone else looking for these Canberra Mks. 

Off the paint shop today...

Cheers,

AGW..

• Like 9

Construction Part 7

So with some further study of my reference materials - namely ADFSerials.com I established there was a small pitot in the nose that needed to be added prior to paint.

I also established that A84-501 & 502 wore different versions of this scheme. Some had the dayglo painted right up to the canopy frame and various combinations down to the actual T4/Mk21 nose cone. I elected to follow one particular black and white image for mine.

24509067657_de47e10e1c_z.jpg

Interesting what research turns up.

With the decisions made it was on to the masking. Relatively straight forward using Tamiya's yellow tape and some 1mm Low Tack Masking Tape from Jammydog.

25504361818_cd14867f0b_z.jpg

I am working with some fairly old images so some interpretation was required here. Overall I think I am fairly accurate for 501 which is my chosen subject.

Some triangles were cut to help me get into some of the corners for masking. A good solution for this challenge and one I use a lot on Mirage windscreens.

24509068187_769a193bf2_z.jpg

25504361698_aca23a6879_z.jpg

I spent a bit of extra time on the nose. Given the size of the circumference getting the line straight was important.

27596835809_b7757ef52f_z.jpg

With the masks on a fair number of post it notes it was back tot he paint shop/laundry. 

24509068017_4b40fa1769_z.jpg

The white base coat was decanted Tamiya Fine Surface Primer L - White. It provides quick coverage and dries rock hard in minutes. At a constant 70 degrees F the time between base coat and color was 15 minutes.

25504361448_013ef2a9fa_z.jpg

24509067907_620ac838e6_z.jpg

With the white down it was time to apply the Dayglo Orange. As you can see the first application looked pink. The second wasn't much better. I thought this would be the case as I've used this before. It takes literally a 1,000 coats and after a period of time fades to more of a pink.

27596835729_1e50f20e25_z.jpg

To fix this I added 25 drops of Gunze Orange to a jar of their Flouro Orange and thinned before applying by airbrush. While the photos don't do it justice it looks somewhat mottled given the base coat and initial coat. 

24509067817_a54c90889e_z.jpg

38496024095_34ffe2f29c_z.jpg

Handling the model and painting this number of sections was a bit of a challenge and required a stretch after I was finished. 

With about 10 minutes for the Dayglo to set up it was time to remove the masks. 

24509067757_f6fbaccf24_z.jpg

All good and no over spray. Off the drying cupboard/Wardrobe for the rest of the day ahead of some Future later today.

38496023985_9dbd4686d2_z.jpg

With a couple of shades of paint on i am noticing how nice the panel lines are on this kit.

Looking forward to getting it over the finish line on the weekend.

Cheers,

AGW..

• Like 21

Thanks. Not that hard. Extra thin cement to adhere it and Zap-a-gap to fill it. A little attention to ensure you sand in manner that ensures you retain the curve of the fuselage and all good...

Cheers,

AGW..