Working Lift Bridge Diorama

Nice to include him in your plans.  Sounds like Muz has earned his spot with help & support over the build.  Best wishes to him & his family

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Kallisti said:

If you can get the old Airfix RAF Personel set, there are a couple of figures on bikes in that, although they are polythene rather than polystyrene so are difficult to modify.

Thanks for showing me this. It might come in handy in future dioramas, especially in a WWII aerodrome diorama (which I may be doing).

3 hours ago, bar side said:

Nice to include him in your plans.  Sounds like Muz has earned his spot with help & support over the build.  Best wishes to him & his family

Others know I am building a model but have not shown any interest, or curiosity. So they don't know what I have been doing.

I think, as soon as you say "I am building a model of ..." , they look at you as if being immature or something. Unfortunately, this is an attitude that misunderstands the vast difference between being child-like and childish. Which is why many fear being child-like, and end up laughing at people instead of with them. Ironically, it is a bit childish to consider model building as immature.

Muz was the only one who was curious and interested. So I sent him a few progress pictures. He got hooked and asked to get the updates I send to the museum.

3 hours ago, bar side said:

Sounds like Muz has earned his spot with help & support over the build.

Yes, he has, like the people in this wonderful forum, shared his support and helpful ideas and suggestions. The model has strengthen our friendship.

• Like 1

Thanks @Gorby, @Corsairfoxfouruncle, and @Mancunian airman for your concerned posts.

Yes, cancer is a pest. I lost my best friend in 2001 to brain tumors.

I think every person has been affected by losing someone they know well to cancer.

Thanks @m.webb63, @bar side, @Gorby, @Corsairfoxfouruncle for your reactions to the update.

Edited by Getunderit
  • Like 1

So sorry to hear Muz is so poorly, please accept my sympathies,  I've lost several friends too, it seems so unfair!

You're tribute is great!  It's fantastic, love it!  But I must say, what about the spokes?  Only joking, it looks absolutely fine the way it is!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Derek A said:

So sorry to hear Muz is so poorly, please accept my sympathies,  I've lost several friends too, it seems so unfair!

You're tribute is great!  It's fantastic, love it!  But I must say, what about the spokes?  Only joking, it looks absolutely fine the way it is!

Thanks Derek.

Funny about the spokes and the rest of the smaller stuff. I've learnt from this model that if the diorama is large enough, it basically needs to be viewed from a distance. The smaller stuff becomes more suggestive than anything else. The older and less nimble I get I need to keep the viewers away from seeing the details 😃. So large dioramas is the way to go 😃.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I totally agree, it's a common mistake in all scales.  I've noticed it particularly with figures, close up they look a bit iffy but viewed from a 'normal' distance they look fine! 

I've also basically stopped worrying about areas that won't be seen, I used to spend hours painting aircraft interiors that disappeared completely as soon as you join the fuselage halves!

Better to spend your time on the visible bits!

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Derek A said:

I totally agree, it's a common mistake in all scales.  I've noticed it particularly with figures, close up they look a bit iffy but viewed from a 'normal' distance they look fine! 

I've also basically stopped worrying about areas that won't be seen, I used to spend hours painting aircraft interiors that disappeared completely as soon as you join the fuselage halves!

Better to spend your time on the visible bits!

True. Just like on movie sets. What you don't see is not made.

At the rate of advanced nano-technology, it would not surprise me that a nano-robot will exploit a model, in and out. Making a video of what is not normally seen.

"Oh no! I knew I should have painted that cockpit".

Why not go the other way, and include a piece of folded paper inside, titled: Important Note. Have it so it cannot be read unless the model is pulled apart. Finding that all the note said was "Ha ha. Got ya!"

😵

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Jo NZ said:

That reminds me of the guy who opened up a speedometer to clock it and found a note saying "Not Again!"

3m5S2lE.gif

I spent some time working in a RAAF clean-room (light blue ninjas)😷. When examining instrument bearings and jewels under a microscope we often find a crude message scratched into the brass bushing. It takes a steady hand, in between heart beats, to scribe a return message. 😁

• Like 3

No spokes!

With your perfectionism I was expecting your next post to say something along the lines of… “I've been training harry the house spider to weave the spokes….”.

Great updates, I loved the shark in the boat & the wee Muz, a very touching tribute to a mate indeed, sending peaceful thoughts to him & his family.

Tiny though Muz & his bike are, as well as the boat & shark, they work superbly well & bring great life to the scene.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 1

I agree about the level of detail seen from a distance.

In the scale I am working, 4mm, if you are only stood 2 feet away that is equivalent to being 150ft. away so just how much detail can you see ??

I have signs on a number of doors/walls and YES you can read close-up but from the 150ft mark, you only know there is a sign on the wall.

The only regret I have is that I didn't furnish the main building when I built it because there is so much glass to view inside.

Carry on the good work Peter, its coming together fine . . . 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Found some items at secondhand shop I know Gory (sic), I mean @Gorby, would like. :lol:

RLpvWor.jpg

Come on fellows, it's Schmacko time.

P8R4JyE.jpg

Meanwhile on the other side of the bridge. . .

wApkeae.jpg

Will be returning to this model shortly.

• Haha 9

The horror, the horror! :shocked:

I told you it would happen, it was just a question of time (admittedly I got the wrong away team) but would they they wouldn't listen to my ravings warnings– they just laughed. :crying:

You all thought I was insane - they called Nikola Tesla mad (probably not a good example) but mark my words, the next game in the match will be the plastic, secondhand, grossly out of scale crocodiles (probably the youth team). 

Nurse! I need a lie down.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

16 hours ago, Getunderit said:

Found some items at secondhand shop I know Gory (sic), I mean @Gorby, would like. :lol:

RLpvWor.jpg

Come on fellows, it's Schmacko time.

P8R4JyE.jpg

Meanwhile on the other side of the bridge. . .

wApkeae.jpg

Will be returning to this model shortly.

35 minutes ago, Gorby said:

The horror, the horror! :shocked:

I told you it would happen, it was just a question of time (admittedly I got the wrong away team) but would they they wouldn't listen to my ravings warnings– they just laughed. :crying:

You all thought I was insane - they called Nikola Tesla mad (probably not a good example) but mark my words, the next game in the match will be the plastic, secondhand, grossly out of scale crocodiles (probably the youth team). 

Nurse! I need a lie down.

Welcome back Pete, I've missed your posts!

Oh and by the way, you're both nuts!

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

No milk or sugar in mine

Same as me.

Make that three for tea. 🙂

I shall wear my best rabbit ears and startled expression. 

• Haha 3