Working Lift Bridge Diorama

Thanks again my friends.

Was not too happy with the footings, so I visited our Missingham bridge to make observations. These footings had some barnacles on it. Also studied the reflections of the pier on the water.

SazsJ3u.jpg

Decided to follow this example. I avoided using a flood brown colour on the footings, for it would have a strong colour contrast with the bluish waters. So I used various shades of grey to neutralize colour comparisons. Exagerated the barnacles to make it look like barnacles at such a small scale.

q6S3125.jpg

Cleaned up the wharf. Added another submerged tentacle to the kraken (near side). With the gangway in place, the kraken will be partly hidden (a sneaky fellow). Painted the fish and jellyfish swimming away from the kraken.

S2QeH66.jpg

• Like 9

Blimey this is good. I'm seriously envious of guys like you who can replicate reality with paint and basic materials with such stunning accuracy. I hope the museum realises what a superb piece of work is coming their way!

• Thanks 1

Early Monday morning I drove across the Humber bridge.

(East coast of England around 08:30, low cloud)

A glance out of the left window and the water seemed dusky pink.

A second glance and it was mud brown.

A look to the right and on the other side of the bridge and it was grey!

Love the extra touches you're making.

• Haha 2

@Pete in Lincs, yes, reflections are fascinating.

Here is a photo I took one morning sunrise at the beach, where the water from a wave runs back to the sea. It sure does not look like a beach scene.

EXzrq08.jpg

Here is another one, but a sunset over the river. The snapshot was taken just right, where I can easily imagine the girl saying "It's time to go, brother".

lrSucBO.jpg

• Like 5

Beautiful photos @Getunderit & @bar side.

10 hours ago, Getunderit said:

I can easily imagine the girl saying "It's time to go, brother".

Having raised a step-son and a step-daughter from an early age (them not me) it's more likely to be “Oy, gitface, why's your nose so big?” or some such jollity. But obviously said with the tenderness and feeling that only a seven year old girl can manage. :poke:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I really love seeing each new update you post, but am equally sad to see things progress and draw closer to the finish. It's looking absolutely sublime and really seems to have nailed every objective you set yourself at the start, and more! One day I'll come and visit this display.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Badder said:

Peter,

I reckon that water is as close to perfection as anyone will ever get. LOVE the colours.

Rearguards,

Badder

Thanks Badder.

It sure looks good at certain angles, like the shown photos. But at other angles it looks like looking at an iris from a micro-surgeon's point of view.

What I am saying is, it could be better by manipulating the paper mache differently. Next time I do water, I am sure it will be much better, no matter how you look at it.

• Like 3

Spent last two days trying to design the electronics for the boat and mechanics for the pulley system. There is surprisingly a lot to consider.

1. No loose moving wire harness to be used. Fatigue causes to many breakdowns.
2. Boat electronics, while traversing, needs to depend on own power source.
3. Need to design 9V battery charger. Battery to be mounted on boat vane.
4. Mechanisms to enable/disable circuits while boat traverses to, and at, docking points.
5. Boat nav lights to transpose location, on boat, to signify up and/or down stream travel.
6. Nav lights to be enabled only while bridge span is 'unlocked'.
7. 9V battery gets recharged every time it docks in the upstream location (far end).
8. Pulley system needs to incorporate safety shutdown before motor gets overloaded due to any mechanical malfunction.
9. Diesel motor sound, and possibly a foghorn, to be heard whenever the boat motor is on.

pG6DeWP.jpg

Ah, the weekend is here. I think I'll take a break and leave this for two days; and do something different - like the Bridge on the River Kwai diorama.

• Like 4

Fantastic to see good old fashioned engineering drawings instead of all that computery stuff.

When the Silicon-eating bacteria evolves and takes down all computers/internet, it's comforting to know that some of us will still be able to use a pencil and set square and orthographic projection.

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

I must be thick!  It's just dawning on me what the real appeal of this build is!  It's the mix of mechanical and electronic engineering thrown in with the modelling and all to such a high standard!  Add a good pinch of humour and inventiveness and it's unbeatable.  You are a truly gifted model engineer Pete, keep up the excellent work!

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much @Derek A, and @Badder, for kind supportive responses. Also, to all the other modellers who have responded and registered reactions to this build. I truly appreciate it more than you may think.

I'll be on this build for the next few months. My plan is to get it finished by New Year. So, I've cleared my workbench from 'The Bridge on River Kwai' build, and started working on the boat transport tracks for this build.

pSNmqN8.jpg

• Like 4