Working Lift Bridge Diorama

The effect in that last picture looks great. Maybe a tiny amount of dry-brushing on the water could help add some depth/variation in certain areas? (with a lighter basecoat colour, rather than something very light - which would look like breaking waves).

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Matt_ said:

The effect in that last picture looks great. Maybe a tiny amount of dry-brushing on the water could help add some depth/variation in certain areas? (with a lighter basecoat colour, rather than something very light - which would look like breaking waves).

Hi Matt. Thanks for sharing your ideas and suggestions. Will be adding lots of detail stuff later, including dry-brushing wave crests. I am planning to add bits to the water, to be revealed later.

6 hours ago, Getunderit said:

LaNQM2h.jpg

That looks pretty convincing for mucky water. The sanitary & shipping canal 1.5 miles down the road from me is that color. Considering the amount of pollution and chemicals in that water. I’d be real happy to see a giant squid in there. Im afraid of the unknown creature’s that might exist in it to tell you the truth. 😉 

Dennis

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks again my friends. Here is another update.

After finishing the basic colours for the river, I went for a needed bike ride. It has not rained for over a week and Richmond River, near the ocean, is very clear. Could not help notice a similar teal colour to what I have been painting. Took photos to show that such waters are not too overboard as such. Though, 20 miles up river, where Wardell Bridge is, is still dirty green.

0exPGBd.jpg

So far . . .

RsW6xHu.jpg

• Like 12

Just to clarify why I added a card strip along the back edge of display. As I painted the water surface, I would also paint the card strip. This strip gets transposed onto the bottom edge of the canvas. It will be a water colour reference for the background of the diorama. The canvas painting will be in oil paints, my preferred painting medium.

8LWujP3.jpg

The painting will only look, in perspective, from the console operator's point of view.

Below, is an idea of what the background will look like. As you can see, it will be mostly sky.

84TbnKa.jpg

• Like 7

Amazing coincidence occured just now. I was looking for a new book to read while sitting on the throne. I already read everything on my book shelves. So I decided to look into an old box of books which I put aside, years ago, for altered books resources. I found a book I have never read before.

QtHXrzT.jpg

I believe there is a kraken in the story somewhere. But don't tell me, because I like to find out while reading the book.

• Like 4

Only just caught up on that water colour Peter - excellent.  I think I would ruin a great build by trying to paint that!  Mind you most rivers around here are various shades of mud brown.  Sort of more like this

image.jpg

• Thanks 1

I know what you mean @bar side, I felt that way for a long time before having to bite the bullet and have a go at painting it. As you can see, it did not start of too well and had to redo it. I think the trick is to turn that bullet into a bone and become the dog that won't let go of it until it's done. My saving grace was the idea that if I don't like it I could always paint over it until it looks okay.

Also, I pray a lot. I say 'God help me', then later I say 'Thank you God'.

It is always apprehensive doing something for the first time. This build is ALL apprehension for me, and there is still lots (of first times) to do yet before completion.

Thanks for sharing your apprehension with me.

Yes and the other trick is knowing when to stop.  Many a good paint job has been ruined by thinking ‘if I just tidy this bit up and....’. Plus I am sure we are all over critical of our own work as we can see the not so good bits.  But I must say I can’t see many not so good bits in this whole project, plus it’s got Kraken

• Like 2

Good to see so many good humoured modellers here. I would have given up long time ago if I was not aload to be childlike (not childish) now and again. I finf figurines, and such, are great sources for me to express some fun. Cannot imagine building a model without it producing a smile for the observer. Even aircraft nose art can do that.

• Like 4

Well we are a bunch of people who started making kits as a kid & still do it.  What is it they say, ‘you are only young once but you can be immature forever’?  Used to like model railways with little character scenes that made you laugh.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, bar side said:

Well we are a bunch of people who started making kits as a kid & still do it.  What is it they say, ‘you are only young once but you can be immature forever’?  Used to like model railways with little character scenes that made you laugh.

You can still do it with any diorama.

Edited by Getunderit
  • Like 1

Sorry to show similar images. 

Spent the whole day dry-brushing the water surafce with lighter shades for the water crests. When it dried I was glad that it went darker, as previously explained. Now it's not so noticeable. Yet the whole water surface became slightly lighter shade

V0Hlv02.jpg

ekn1Scq.jpg

Still lots of little touch-ups required. Then a three day drying period is needed before applying the varnish. Each coat requires 24 hrs drying time. Looking forward to see how it will look then.

• Like 3

Looking excellent!

The colour of most of the rivers in Britain could be described as 'dirty brown liquid despair', there could well be kraken or squid in some, but no one would ever be able to find them, other than by touch. Even the kraken wouldn't know it was a kraken because it would never have seen any part of it's body.

The only way a Brit would see those colours outdoors is when they are heavily medicated.

• Haha 3

Not much to see here. Just a few touch-ups is all I had time for today. I was too tired after riding a 25 mile race. All the way I did not see one rider in front of me.

Played around with the bridge footings at water level. Tried to give a better impression than just cement and coloured water.

9r2SJAp.jpg

Then decided to add other sea creatures besides the kraken.

d1kOkzs.jpg

sGXOJpy.jpg

May get the kids to count how many jellyfish there are.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Getunderit said:

May get the kids to count how many jellyfish there are.

I counted 9. :D

Oh, you mean the real kids.

14 hours ago, Getunderit said:

so sad.

Fortunately we've evolved to find greys, browns and dull greens quite pleasing. We do have chocolate and alcohol, so it's not all bad.

• Haha 3