Working Lift Bridge Diorama

About 50 years ago, a school friend, Mark, had a weekend job in his father's butcher shop. After working hard he was given a hot cup of coffee by the apprentices. When he got to the bottom of the cup something touched his mouth. He looked in a saw a pig's eye looking at him. Poor Mark, he has never been able to handle warm liquids since. Not even soup.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

I feel for you, last weekend I came down with a cold, in the middle of a British Heatwave... full blown head cold, sneezing coughing, sore throat, lost voice, the works. Took 3 days for the cold to abate and I've been left with a wracking cough that is extremely unpleasant and tiring. On top of that I'm supposed to be moving house.... !

Edited by Kallisti
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Somewhat late to the party on this - but my oh my, WHAT A PARTY! This is just outstanding. The most enthralling part is how you keep making things on such a tight budget, but still include such craftsmanship, ingenuity, and humour. Chapeau. 

On 5/1/2018 at 9:45 PM, Getunderit said:

Thanks Derek.

Funny about the spokes and the rest of the smaller stuff. I've learnt from this model that if the diorama is large enough, it basically needs to be viewed from a distance. The smaller stuff becomes more suggestive than anything else. The older and less nimble I get I need to keep the viewers away from seeing the details 😃. So large dioramas is the way to go 😃.

Spokes, you say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXmrvS8rHbA

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I am feeling okay now, so I went for a bike ride. As I rode over Wardell bridge I saw a sight that through another spanner in the works. The shire council installed a flaoting wharf from the South bank. Had to return the next day to take photos and measure it up.

82Cjdem.jpg

zFPkULg.jpg

EABL6sP.jpg

nbtpfZX.jpg

• Like 9

You're back!

You're front and you're sides as well! :giggle:

Glad to see the bridge is back on the road (or is the road on the bridge – I'm starting to confuse myself again).

That's a nice little addition to the dio, are you going to put two fishing gnomes on it like the council has on the real one? 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Glad to hear you're in good health again, or at least better health. I'm somewhat disgusted that the council didn't run their plans by you prior to even considering an installation that would impact your diorama! :D 

As with the rest of your work, I firstly can't believe how quickly you've knocked that up, and how realistic/true to life it looks. Great job again. 

ps. I support governor @Gorby's motion to add gnomes as per the council plans. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Matt_ said:

Crikey. I hope you rushed down to warn those 2 chaps about the giant squid lurking in the depths! 

Good to hear you're on the mend.

Damn squids, they're everywhere. 

Gooday Matt.

Are you clairvoyant? Because that damn @Gorby squid was on my mind.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Getunderit said:

Because that damn @Gorby squid was on my mind.

I apologise most humbly if I have caused you mental anguish Pete.

I thought I just did that to family,

and my in-laws,

and my friends,

and my ex-colleagues

And anyone I meet in the street.

• Haha 4

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got through making 24 square feet of surafce water by using paper mache technique. It was one job I had lots of apprehension about, but not as intense as the one that is coming up - painting it.

Anyway, as usual I started with the least noticeable section of the display (Far left corner) and worked my way to the more noticeable (Near right corner). Hoping I will improve the technique as I progress. This became true, and had to return to earlier sections to patch it up a bit.

2wBaFVG.jpg

bhVPCzD.jpg

3fc5Bbp.jpg

gi26KdZ.jpg

0zd0Xbu.jpg

• Like 9

Oh boy, I sure stuffed up the paint job. Only done 1/10th of the water. Started along the river banks. The dirty water look became too brown, opaquish, blotchy, and dark on outer edge. 

Q0GzFJC.jpg

It's been a long time since doing any painting, and have forgotten basic principles. The rest of the river will contain blues and greens, which is not mixed with the brownish areas already painted. Need to repaint what I have done with a better colour mix. But first, I need to paint a background tone to get rid of that stark white as a comparison. 

Hope to improve on this.

• Like 6

So glad to see you back and WOW what a return. The water surface is looking fantastic. I'm sure it won't take too much to get the water colour looking how you want, especially with all the tests you did earlier on in the project.

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys for your support and confidence in me. Sure hope not to disappoint. The following is just a start. Got half way with the basic blending one shade with the next. Once the basic coverage is done, there is still lots more to do. I still have lots to learn with using acrylics.

Starting from waters edge, I was assumed the water/wet mud and rocks would look darker, yet mliky due to dirty water. As the water gets deeper, the milky dirt browns take over. Then green got mixed into it (according to some silly plan of mine). 🙂

J8qoqWh.jpg

mCKFDnM.jpg

LaNQM2h.jpg

Lots of detail stuff to be added later. Hoping the overall effort will improve the general appearance of the river. We will see.

• Like 9