Working Lift Bridge Diorama

That's odd. The things you have pointed out under the bridge aren't there in the first photo you posted in this build? Which is the most recent photo?

Admittedly, I have partaken of more than a little rum, so I'm even more confused than normal. 

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Gorby said:

That's odd. The things you have pointed out under the bridge aren't there in the first photo you posted in this build? Which is the most recent photo?

Admittedly, I have partaken of more than a little rum, so I'm even more confused than normal. 

Ha ha ha "hic". Tha's okay. The photo is old. It was found in some archives by my friend. The barriers have since been removed.

My research goal was to find more old photos of the bridge when they had swing-gates. Today they have boom-gates instead. My friend noticed the gates and sent my the photo.

You will notice in recent updates, that there is a gap along the railings, near the traffic lights. These are for the swing-gates.

• Like 1

There is some seriously good (excellent) model engineering going on here. Very impressive in every way: the woodwork towers, control buildings, road and surfaces, wiring and more. That is something to be truly proud of and is a major tribute to your patience and skill.

P

21 hours ago, Sairou said:

Simply amazing work here. What other plans do you have for small details, cars, or boats?

:idea:Now you've done it! You gave me an idea for the cars. Well for one car anyway.

The diorama is somewhat unbalanced. Because the lift-span is more to the right there is not much activity happening on the left side. I now plan (thanks to Sairou) to have a police car on the far left with flashing blue lights. Will convert one of the white cars for that. As for the boat, that traverses under the bridge, that has already been worked out and you will see that in a week or so.

Thanks for compliment.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Gorby said:

As always, remarkably neat work.

For some reason it reminds me that I really should get around to doing a family tree.

Genealogy Charts

I am the last apple on my family tree branch. Soon that branch will be pruned. Don't know anybody on the other branches.

Thanks @JOHN W and @Kallisti for :yes:

Added wiring harness to console control panel. Since it is the underside (not easily seen) it was pointless to dressed it up.

TEaNmxP.jpg

Connected control panel and harness to console.

GA1jdvw.jpg

Made small harness between terminal strips and the two D-Connectors to the back of console (these connect to control box under display table).

YXcP6Cp.jpg

Edited by Getunderit
  • Like 4

Well I have just happened on this article. All I can say is blimey.

Do you sleep at night. Some very neat craftsmanship.

In a past life I spent 50 years in the Architectural world. Admire your very crisp drawings.

I spend a lot of time gathering information for my projects. You must have spent more

than a few hours gathering information and producing the bridge in 2d before taking it on in 3d.

Laurie

Edited by LaurieS
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well when you consider some of us struggle to glue plastic together this turns out to be quite a fantastic project.

I love your schematics and the art of turning them into working parts, thee iis much to admire in your workmanship . . ..

I am so looking forward to you landscaping the river bank and as you have already mentioned 'das boot'

Ian

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LaurieS said:

In a past life I spent 50 years in the Architectural world. Admire your very crisp drawings.

I spend a lot of time gathering information for my projects. You must have spent more

than a few hours gathering information and producing the bridge in 2d before taking it on in 3d.

Laurie

19 hours ago, Getunderit said:

I am the last apple on my family tree branch.

Same here. The odds are, because I've got so many interests, I'll never find the time to research my family tree, which will be a shame as I'm quite interested where I come from.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, LaurieS said:

Laurie

Thanks Laurie for compliment.

Earlier I mentioned that I am posting many photos on a daily basis to catch up where I am at. About 2/3 completed.

Don't worry I spent a month or so to draw up the plans for the bridge (woodwork) according to available hardware supplies. Yet there are still many unresolved issues.

I have stopped drawing on the PC (takes too much time) and just stick with pencil and paper sketches for the time being.

I still continue to do (daily) Internet research for this project.

22 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

Well when you consider some of us struggle to glue plastic together this turns out to be quite a fantastic project.

I love your schematics and the art of turning them into working parts, thee iis much to admire in your workmanship . . ..

I am so looking forward to you landscaping the river bank and as you have already mentioned 'das boot'

Ian

Thanks Ian.

I too am looking forward to seeing the riverbank materialize. :wink:

4 hours ago, Gorby said:

Same here. The odds are, because I've got so many interests, I'll never find the time to research my family tree, which will be a shame as I'm quite interested where I come from.

There are others that can do the research for you, for a small price. But since I have nobody to pass that on, what's the point. IMHO

Thank you @Mancunian airman, @LaurieS, @Corsairfoxfouruncle, @Gorby, @S5 modeller, @Avereda, and @stevehnz for your replies and :yes:

Added Passive Infrared (PIR) sensor for detecting any museum visitors approaching the display.

DH8hDvO.jpg

Dyed some felt a grey color and lined the console edges of front panel.

zWYEMeD.jpg

Drilled holes in the thick Perspex, allowing heatwaves to reach the PIR sensor. A portion of the front panel was used as a kick board to protect the Perspex.

7tF4G3U.jpg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Getunderit said:

There are others that can do the research for you, for a small price. But since I have nobody to pass that on, what's the point. IMHO

I think a lot of it is that I feel guilty, because my mum wanted me to do it and I never got around to it before she died. But as you say, no one to leave it to…. might as well stick to the modelling then. 

• Like 1