Holiday Build #1 - Miura ** DONE **

Ian

So you've seen that my BIG car project for the New Year is a Revell C5-R, but alongside that I'm doing two quick & fun builds over the holidays just because I can !!. First one is the still excellent Hasegawa Lamborghini Miura.... to mis-quote Jeremy Clarkson: 

"...possibly the most beautiful looking car... in the world"

18VvDHT.jpg

Seam lines rubbed & polished away and already primed to cover that shouty bright red plastic:

qrDxDUF.jpg

LBwuZB9.jpg

Hopefully at the end of it all it will look a LOT like this beauty:

ahTsQkb.jpg

Stay tuned, folks.

Ian.

Edited by Ian
update
  • Like 3

Sort of a 'non update': 

Mixed-up a pale blue using good old Humbrol enamels and sprayed a couple of thin coats, then left it aside for a couple of days to dry/cure in the summer sunshine in an old plastic lunch box. Checked on it yesterday morning and the amount of dust, even though it was covered that had got on to the finish in the very short time that it wasn't covered was simply unbelievable.

KsnovE9.jpg

Not just unbelievable but unacceptable, so I've stripped it back to the plastic and will start again.

azy9OLM.jpg

pIMzhQA.jpg

On the positive side, the interior is done and I'm very happy with it - again my own mix of colours, but Tamiya acrylics this time. The chassis and block details are about 70% done and again look fine. REALLY pleased with the wheels. I stripped the chrome plating, undercoated them with Rustoleum dark grey primer then shot them with AK Xtreme Metals 'Polished Aluminium' followed by a very light wash with Tamiya enamel panel-line wash. They look great, IMHO.

rOyyfzL.jpg

I0DU7w8.jpg

More Soon.

Ian.

• Like 1

Nice subject and love the choice of final colour. Not very often you see a blue miura, most of the time it's either yellow or orange, so it's good to see some individuality.  And the wheels do look the mutts nuts. 

Shaun 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Shaun. Sprayed the bodyshell last night with Rustoleum dark grey primer. Going to leave it until at least tomorrow before sanding the primer coat and shooting the blue again. The rolling chassis is finished now and if I get a chance, I'll post some pics later today.

AFN

Ian.

Progress folks....

pwRzPqs.jpg

44m3bfa.jpg

This mornings' start point - Three light coats of enamel 'baby blue', mixed by eye and sealed-in under a brushed coat of Johnsons Klear/Future as we can't get 2K clear here in NZ.

...and this evening it looks like this:

ZEqxFki.jpg

E61FrWi.jpg

AK Xtreme Metal 'Polished Aluminium' for the lower panel done, and the final assembly of the bodyshell has just started. Won't get much done tomorrow (Sunday) because of work, but that's fine as everything will settle & dry. Have to admit I'm VERY worried about attaching the built-up chassis into the bodyshell, I foresee a lot of swearing and temper tantrums !.

Last view of the rolling chassis before most of it disappears never to be seen again:

3izFSt0.jpg

7bTichD.jpg

CNcBhhI.jpg

Happy 2018 folks from the Land of the Long White Cloud, see y'all in the New Year.

Ian.

• Like 2

...and we're done:

qCYmgyw.jpg

Really enjoyed this, only problems were those I created myself, but all cam right in-the-end. First of two quick'n easy builds for the holidays, please stay tuned for the next one. More pics in the 'showcase', thanks for the support and interest over the last week or so.

AFN

Ian.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, gamblor916 said:

Beautiful build. That's a great colour choice. Were there any issues with this kit? I have this on the 'to build' list so any info is welcome.

I know it sounds trite, but when you get to the rear suspension and exhaust set up... follow the instructions and test fit everything. I didn't, thought I knew better and consequently had a lot of 'undoing' to perform, but somehow got away with it - not clever, just lucky !. It needs patience and forethought, it all fits together, but it isn't Tamiya 'click'n fit'.

Ian.

• Thanks 2