Sword FJ-2 Fury

For those following my WIP thread, I can now finally say it's finished! In fact there were a few other bits I was going to do (wing stays for one), and I may well do them at some point but for now I'm happy. Thanks to all those who followed.

39190011642_368880ed79_b.jpg

39190011312_c820dba5a1_b.jpg

38510206084_c2b9e6146b_b.jpg

39190011072_e12c536c7d_b.jpg

38510205744_0211731c91_b.jpg

39190010912_b1014cfacc_b.jpg

38510205684_3590d7af90_b.jpg

39190010732_60e131ece7_b.jpg

38510205484_b8e9349652_b.jpg

39190010422_8bbf55e5a4_b.jpg

38510205294_5bf1500a65_b.jpg

39217754821_0f39812800_b.jpg

38510205114_2650640c40_b.jpg

39190010182_a758a19dbe_b.jpg

• Like 41

Now SJ, that has made my Christmas!!!!!! :) What a stunner! I bet you are relieved its all done now? Well, put you feet up for a short while and then get going on that -3 ;)

Have a great Christmas!

Martin

PS: I fear I am going to feel inadequate when I get around to mine!

49 minutes ago, janneman36 said:

not a big fan of heavy preshading...

Me neither.....

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 2

Beautiful job!!

All it needs is the witty commentary and i'd mistake it for a Navy Bird project.

Plan to take a break from Furies for a while....or do you have another one in the works?

-d-

• Like 1

Thanks all: I have to say I don't really like the pre-shading either, but I have to admit that the panel lines on my effort are too stark too: that was my mistake because it should have been done with a dark gray wash instead. Next time....

I will be doing the FJ-3 sometime but I'm going to wait and see what (if any) aftermarket decals will be coming along before I do that. And though not a great fan of the 'chuck loads of aftermarket at it' thing, I may wait and see what crops up there too. I do like those drone director FJ-3D and FJ-3D2 but I think I'll let RidgeRunner do that one justice. 

So no FJ-3 next. In fact it's a toss-up between a 1/48 F-86A conversion, a 1/32 Tiger Moth, a 1/35 Bedford Armadillo or a 1/43 Alfa TZ2 (race car). How's that for eclectic?

• Like 1

Very impressive work there. I’ve been following the WIP and making notes for my -3m when I get round to it. Mine will be OOB as my kit-assemblers skills won’t stretch to the improvements you have made. Anyways excellent work, very inspiring.

Cheers Allan 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

I do like those drone director FJ-3D and FJ-3D2 but I think I'll let RidgeRunner do that one justice. 

Thanks for the vote of confidence, SJ, but I can't see me getting the detail that you got in to this build. Yes, mine with be  a FJ-3D for sure. I am amassing the decals and will be drawing some of them. It won't be just yet as I have a queue!

Martin

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

I just noticed - 50 views already but only 2 "Likes" and 2 comments! Come on guys, this is a milestone, a Fury, in 1/72, and beautifully finished!!!!!

Martin

Ah, that's more like it! ;) ..... But then I am biased ;)

Martin

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

I have to say I don't really like the pre-shading either, but I have to admit that the panel lines on my effort are too stark too: that was my mistake because it should have been done with a dark gray wash instead. Next time....

I'm not a fan of pre-shading, post shading or panel lines, very subjective but each to their own.

21 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

So no FJ-3 next. In fact it's a toss-up between a 1/48 F-86A conversion, a 1/32 Tiger Moth, a 1/35 Bedford Armadillo or a 1/43 Alfa TZ2 (race car). How's that for eclectic?

Very eclectic indeed but variety is the spice of life. An F-86A conversion would be my choice but then I'm biased but I'm sure that what ever you decide, it will be a good build.

Stuart

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

SJ,

That rattling sound you hear is me putting my FJ-2 parts back in the box- ain't no way I could do to mine what you have done with yours; I can only echo what the others have said. I want to say, on behalf of the rest of the BM'ers, how much we have appreciated the incredible amount of  reference photos, text, and in-progress shots of your Fury build- I don't know about the rest of the gang, but I for one have learned a lot from what you have posted, and not just on the Fury, but the F-86 as well. Thanks for being such a great resource as well as a model builder. Now, knock back a couple of cold ones, take a break, and get ready to grace us with another goodie!

Mike

P.S. You and Tommy both deserve our thanks for what you have given all of us on the Furies.

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, 72modeler said:

SJ,

That rattling sound you hear is me putting my FJ-2 parts back in the box- ain't no way I could do to mine what you have done with yours; I can only echo what the others have said. I want to say, on behalf of the rest of the BM'ers, how much we have appreciated the incredible amount of  reference photos, text, and in-progress shots of your Fury build- I don't know about the rest of the gang, but I for one have learned a lot from what you have posted, and not just on the Fury, but the F-86 as well. Thanks for being such a great resource as well as a model builder. Now, knock back a couple of cold ones, take a break, and get ready to grace us with another goodie!

Mike

P.S. You and Tommy both deserve our thanks for what you have given all of us on the Furies.

You're too kind: my effort is a bit rough round the edges and I'm sure many can do better. In any case it's a nice kit and I know you'll enjoy building it. OK it needs a bit of work but the aftermarket will soon catch up on the main bits and I for one will be doing an FJ-3 or 3M when that's the case, just to see how much different it would be. Plus I think I'd like to do a Fury in 'launch' mode with the nose gear fully extended.

In the meantime I'm into the 1/32 Tiger Moth (which is moving slowly but surely) and at some point I'll be doing a 1/48 F-86 based on the Eduard/Hasegawa kit but I haven't decided if it will be an A, E or F yet.

Glad to have been of help too :)

• Thanks 1