WIP Tamiya 1/48 Lancaster S Sugar

PWJ

Well once again the cupboard of doom is under siege as I have resurrected another long time inhabitant.

It is Tamiya’s original release of their 1/48 Lancaster which I am embarrassed to say has been under construction for more than 20 years! Incorporated with the build was Flightpaths metal etch number FP-48-11 set which includes cockpit, canopy, various turret and other details along with the very complex flap structure. I also used an original issue EZ canopy mask set which saved considerable time and introduced me to a product (pre- cut canopy masks) that I now use religiously as they save a lot of time.

I chose to finish the old girl as S for Sugar RAAF 467 Squadron at the completion of her 118 missions. I have seen the real thing at Hendon on a few occasions and have the original historical booklet also obtained from the museum way back whenever??????

Early on when I started this build I was allowed access to an original Lancaster which is housed at the Bullcreek Aviation Museum. (A side story to this, I remember when this aircraft arrived at Perth airport and my father taking me to see her on the tarmac – I couldn’t believe how big it was walking underneath the open bomb bay).

The museum curator allowed me access to the inside and crawled around with my camera shooting everything I could see. When clambering over the main spar moving to the cockpit it became apparent that the guys that operated these machines were in my opinion superhuman! It is impossible to imagine how difficult it would have been to transit this at night with the aircraft gyrating all over the place, enemy trying to shoot you out of the sky – incredible respect for these brave gentlemen indeed!

I vaguely remember there have been many modifications over the duration of the build which included dropping the flaps to utilize the extensive Flightpath flaps.  Also the paddle prop blades where exchanged for period pointed blades. Again over the duration of this build I have experimented with a variety of different weathering techniques.

One of the most impressive features of this kit is the size of the Lancaster. In 1/48 it presents a significant presence in the collection. The only problem now is to find where I buried the box with the rest of the components so that I can finish.

This is where I am at present, apologies for the poor quality images. They were taken with my mobile, anyway hopefully I will be able to finish over the Christmas break.

Cheers and well wishes to all for the festive season.

PJ

39184471462_fdd825936d_b.jpg

39184472812_0e24ed9267_b.jpg

39184470662_c6ef0575e7_b.jpg

39184469952_3fc855505b_b.jpg

39184468992_01732bbb5f_b.jpg

• Like 19

a couple of little touches

Lanc UC have black bands on them

385db63c0cc821bbc57aecc2b754e7f0.jpg

and you could add somepale grey to the exhaust stains,  which is lead oxide from the tetra-ethyl lead,  often seen when running the  engines leaned out

as seen on Sugar  here

9eee0b05126ca1c4c9830bc308139084--model-

neat work,  and you picked upthe detail  that the outer exhausts goes under the wing.... 

HTH

cheers

T

• Like 1

Great looking Lancaster im glad you are finishing this off it is very well done.

I did “S” for sugar from Tamiya in High school in 1989. Sadly it was shot down after completion, by the Family cat knocking it off of my dresser one day. It was a complete write off at the time and ive never been able to replace it. I hope to some day. 

Thank you all for the positive comments - appreciated! No excuse now not to finish, only problem is finding the box with the rest of the bits.

Troy thanks also for your comments, re the UC black band, that is something I had not noticed however in my defence this build has been in the cupboard for way to many years. I intend to dirty her up some more and will apply lighter shades of grey/light brown over the existing exhaust staining which as I recall was done with pastels. 

Thanks again and all the best for the festive season.

Cheers

PJ

• 1 year later...
On 22/12/2017 at 15:43, Troy Smith said:

a couple of little touches

Lanc UC have black bands on them

385db63c0cc821bbc57aecc2b754e7f0.jpg

and you could add somepale grey to the exhaust stains,  which is lead oxide from the tetra-ethyl lead,  often seen when running the  engines leaned out

as seen on Sugar  here

9eee0b05126ca1c4c9830bc308139084--model-

neat work,  and you picked upthe detail  that the outer exhausts goes under the wing.... 

HTH

cheers

T

Where were these taken please?

On 23/12/2017 at 00:02, PWJ said:

I intend to dirty her up some more and will apply lighter shades of grey/light brown over the existing exhaust staining which as I recall was done with pastels. 

Cheers

PJ

I'm not sure that I would add too much more to her appearance - she looks just fine here. Your weathering is very well done, with the result that the model looks convincing and authentic. Just right in my book (although I would agree with Troy about carefully adding the grey leaded exhaust stains). 

She's very nice. I would be proud to have her on my shelf :like:

SD