Mi-8MT and Mi-24P photos Bagram 1988, 262 ove

SzaboP

Hi All,

I want to build two helicopters in 1:72 scale, one is the Hobbyboss Mi-8/17, the other is the future release Mi-24P from Zvezda. Both of them will be in the markings of the 262 OVE, Soviet Army Aviation, during 1988, at Bagram, Afghanistan. I have two decal sets (linden Hill for the Mi-24 and Begemot for the Mi-8). During search for pictures of the original helicopters, it seems it's very hard to find any. I've searched all my books and magazines, checked many sources on the Internet, but no success so far. I wrote an e-mail to Begemot, but no answer yet.

So, can anyone of you please advise me any source of info or pictures on these particular planes?

1_19.jpg1211909966_mi8_41.jpg

Thank You in advance,

Peter

Edited by SzaboP

Whist I cannot answer your question as to the source,I can say that it was common for the units to hide the bort number but this was usually done quite crudely with black grease.

Perhaps later they used black paint hence the number on the square. More likely they had black paint at hand to hide the original bort before repainting.

There are some photos in these articles that give you an idea of what they were facing out there.

https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2014/08/the-soviet-war-in-afghanistan-1979-1989/100786/

http://www.allworldwars.com/The-Bear-vs-Mujahideen-in-Afghanistan-by-Edward-Westermann.html

Hi,

The only I could find. As you can see there is no dragon. Drawings - different colors of the painting scheme and stars. Let's hope Andrey will have more reference photos.

3482d6ff87fd08c6.jpg

1c8da014e5572b85gen.jpg

e252fe575b33e072gen.jpg

Source (note the cover pic):

4ee75365f68673d8med.jpg

Hi stakor,

Thank you for your help!

I found your picture too, but I'm not sure this helicopter is the same "yellow 31" or not. The camouflage pattern is different, as you mentioned. The pattern on the Mi-8's color side view exists, but very rare, maybe two or three from approx 50-60 pictures of Mi-8's during the war. But still exists after the Afghan war, I found a picture of a Mi-24 with this very same wide band pattern. Maybe a repair facility used it, most of the Mi-8's and -24's wore the factory applied-more sophisticated- pattern.

I have a picture of the nose left hand, so the plane itself existed.

i_151.jpg

I found this version of the squadron insignia, but on a Mi-24, it's in the book you mentioned about markings of the Soviet VVS inthe Afghan campaign.

Andrey kindly answered my question, but unfortunately he has no photo of this Mi-8MT.

About the Mi-24P I found nothing. I have pictures of three or four versions of the squadron insignia found on the internet, all of them on Mi-24, but these are not even close to the one on the color side view. I asked Linden Hill, maybe they have more info...

I don't know if anyone have contact info of Viktor Markovsky, he's the writer of the original book with the color side views (Hot Sky of Afghanistan, Technika Molodjezhi, 2000),maybe he can help.

Another very good book on the subject, highly recommended:

https://www.press.sk/dejiny-vojen-a-vojenskeho-umenia/rude-hvezdy-nad-afghanistanem-vrtulniky-armadniho-letectva-1979/

Peter