Aircraft identification

Sebastien

Hi,

Here are a couple of pics of a propeller blade.

The aircraft it was mounted on was shot down near Hamburg.

Can anyone tell which typy of aircraft it was?

8361382112.jpg

2943612113.jpg

TIA,

Sebastien

8 minutes ago, BS_w said:

Sea Fury

Don't doubt your Pt No info but shot down In Hamburg ? Could they have used  the same props on Tempests or even Typhoons ?

When considering the question of what Aillied aircraft crashed on Hamburg it's a good idea to consider which Allied aircraft did and didn't operate over it. It is indisputable that many, many bomber raids on Hamburg used Hercules-engined types, the Wellington, Halifax and Stirling, with significant losses of such types. I am not aware of there being any evidence of a single Typhoon or Tempest being lost over Hamburg and would be extremely surprised to see any evidence of a Typhoon or Tempest raid on the city, given that it was no part of their operational role.

I agree with Jamie that this looks more like Halifax / Stirling than Wellington. It's obviously not one of the broad-root wooden Rotol blades that many Wellingtons used.

It would help a lot to know the length.

Edited by Work In Progress

1 hour ago, Work In Progress said:

It would help a lot to know the length.

I put the image into Paint and rotated it to the right. From the base of the blade being about 39px from the left, the tip being at 635px and 4-inch yellow section being 40 px wide I estimated that the blade is about 5' long.   Would the prop diameter be around 11'?  I know that I haven't allowed for any foreshortening that might be caused by the camera angle.

Edited by JosephLalor

1 hour ago, bzn20 said:

Don't doubt your Pt No info but shot down In Hamburg ? Could they have used  the same props on Tempests or even Typhoons ?

is it really from an aircraft shot down near Hambourg? the blade is in very good condition for an crashed aircraft

may be the story of the owner around this blade is false, just to increase the price....

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BS_w said:

s it really from an aircraft shot down near Hambourg? the blade is in very good condition for an crashed aircraft

may be the story of the owner around this blade is false, just to increase the price....

2 hours ago, BS_w said:

It's a blade manufactured by Rotol prop, the blade drawing RA10331, was fitted on Sea Fury.

2 hours ago, brewerjerry said:

interesting that the numbers in the white circle have continental style number 7 ( with line thro it )

there were civilian Sea Fury Target Tugs in Germany

Hawker_Sea_Fury_T20S_AN1860669.jpg

2943612113.jpg

markings and blade look similar

• Like 2

The German Air Force bought 8  T 20 Sea Furys from the Fleet Air Arm. They were eventually sold to a German company who converted them to Target Tugs which is one of them above painted Red. This how that prop ended up in Hamburg.....Probably !

Thanks to all for your help.

I should have added "supposedly" in the bit about Hamburg.

I'll tell the blade owner it belonged to a Sea Fury.

Cheers,

Sebastien

• Like 1