Probably my favourite Matchbox kit,....the 1/72nd scale Lysander....FINISHED

tonyot

Hiya Folks,

Just like me, the Matchbox 1/72nd Lysander has been around since the 70`s but unlike me it has weathered very well and is still the best model of this aircraft in the gentleman`s scale;

27403795279_f1958c646c_z.jpgDSCF2169 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

I have not fully decided which scheme to choose yet,

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 12

Excellent - another Lizzie. I built this kit when I was a young’n and although my skills were typical for the age I was always chuffed at the way this kit turned out, the Matchbox kit is really a lovely model. I then had a second go as a ‘know it all teenager’ and decided to open up the wheel spats, crack open the rear canopy and detail the cockpit - all of which ended up as another half built project. 

Ive yet to find this kit for a decent price for a third attempt, however do have the equally lovely 1/32 example in the stash just begging to be built each time I open the cupboard door. 

The modelling mojo has certainly returned to the O’Toole household and we are all more knowledgeable modellers for it! 

Once again - I will keep tabs on this build from the other side of the world. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

I love the Lysander but have been wondering which kit to get.  I will be watching with great interest.  BTW it has to be 110 Sqn (400Sqn.) RCAF.    My Air Cadet Sqn was 110 Sqn.

I have a couple of pics I found that I could send...

Cheers!

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words and support folks,..... I`m still not fully decided upon schemes yet,.....but as the Matchbox kit depict the Mk.II with the smooth cowling (Mk.I & III had the Mercury engine with `bumps' on the cowling) this limits the choices,.....so no Special Duties scheme as these were Mk.III`s! 

I have wanted to do a 28 Sqn Lizzie based in India/Burma between 1941-42 ( and to do a BF coded Audax to accompany it) and here are a few pics;

Image result for 28 sqn lysander

Image result for 28 sqn lysander

The other option is a Battle of France aircraft,.... I`m still researching these,..... I quite like this one but might struggle for decals!

Related image

Cheers

Tony 

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 4

Not wishing to go off topic, but what would be involved in converting one to a Special Duties Mk III? Cowling bumps, ladder, rear seats? What have I forgotten? Ah, Drop Tank. Sorry Tony, carry on, the Battle of France one looks splendid...

14 minutes ago, 06/24 said:

Not wishing to go off topic, but what would be involved in converting one to a Special Duties Mk III? Cowling bumps, ladder, rear seats? What have I forgotten? Ah, Drop Tank. Sorry Tony, carry on, the Battle of France one looks splendid...

Yup,.... that is about it,.... maybe a Blenheim engine would do the trick? For the SD aircraft the rear cabin was gutted and basic bench seats fitted running towards the tail,..... I`ve read that some were on either side of the rear fuselage and some were a long centrally mounted seat,... but I don`t remember seeing any visual reference.

Back to the model,.....an hour or so of `clarting' has resulted in this, straight from the box;

38322420855_32b3d0385a_k.jpgDSCF2174 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

I`m going to add an instrument panel, control column and observers map board using spares box bits and bats! Once I`ve decided which aircraft I`m representing, I`ll open up the rear fuselage windows,..... if the particular aircraft had them! 

Cheers for now,

Tony 

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 5

Hiya Folks,......another quick update on the Lizzie,....

Here  I have added a chart table underneath the framework between the seats,.....the rear seat has been cut down by removing the backrest, a control column and instrument panel have also been added;

39198364202_3e76442c4a_k.jpgDSCF2207 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

39198364082_b1aa419c3f_k.jpgDSCF2208 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Cheers

Tony

• Like 15

Cheers Fella`s,..... the instrument panel and control column came from the spares box,...... I cannot remember which kit the i/p came from,..... it might have been an old Italeri Mustang?

The photo is pretty pants as I had run out of daylight,.. but here is the model ater its first coat of Polly Scale Dark Earth;

39243664661_34ec5b3efa_k.jpgDSCF2217 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Cheers for now,

Tony 

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, wyverns4 said:

Hi Tony,

Looking good! So will it be the Battle of France scheme?

Christian, exiled to africa

Still not decided,......probably 28 Sqn in Burma/India,..... unless something really jumps out at me! 

• Like 1

Hiya Folks,

Here is the Lizzie after a second coat of Dark Earth,..... now researching the decals for the 28 Sqn aircraft and ready for the Dark Green camo;

38389372555_50eb4ee786_k.jpgDSCF2220 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Merry Christmas everybody and all the best,

Tony

• Like 9

Tony; do you want/would you like a vac formed canopy rear section to fit over the fuselage, in the open position?

I vac formed a few for my own Matchbox Lizzie and I have one spare I can send you if you want it?

Being thin vac formed plastic it fits over the fuselage very neatly

My Matchbox Lizzie with the open canopy;

6%20sqd%20Lysander%20II%2C%2002s-M.jpg

If you want the canopy part just PM me an address to send it to and I'll get it into the post asap

• Like 6

On 24/12/2017 at 7:30 PM, Black Knight said:

Tony; do you want/would you like a vac formed canopy rear section to fit over the fuselage, in the open position?

I vac formed a few for my own Matchbox Lizzie and I have one spare I can send you if you want it?

Being thin vac formed plastic it fits over the fuselage very neatly

My Matchbox Lizzie with the open canopy;

6%20sqd%20Lysander%20II%2C%2002s-M.jpg

If you want the canopy part just PM me an address to send it to and I'll get it into the post asap

Wow,.....your Lizzie looks amazing,...... and the open canopy really adds to the model! It is too late to use this canopy on the current model....but I would love to use on on another Lizzie that I am planning to built soon,...thanks very much,.....I`ll PM you.

Cheers

Tony 

Edited by tonyot

Hiya Folks,

A bit o an update; 

I started to add the Dark Green camouflage pattern today;

24495753417_355941b8d0_k.jpgDSCF2228_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

And since then have `hopefully' finished after 3 thin coats,.... and attached the canopy into place tonight,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 8

Cheers Fella`s,......another update;

The upper surface colours have now been finished and the canopy has been attached;

38662614304_b61916bfe2_k.jpgDSCF2235 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

The rear windows have now been cut out, as have the lights in the spats and the 2nd coat of Sky has also been applied;

38662613504_fea7fcf4bc_k.jpgDSCF2238 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Cheers for now,

Tony

• Like 9