HK 1/32 B25J (Mk III). Engine No 1 started.

Hi everyone

After my Mosquito I have a real burning desire to build a large twin, I can’t justify spending the money on the Tamiya 1/32 Mosquito so this evening I was pottering around in the attic (as you do) and I found this..

Created with Photo Editor- http://axiem.net/editor

...I’d forgotten I bought it back in 2012 when it was first released (after a couple of sherries) and on seeing the size of it I packed it up and stored it away, until now. I intend for this to be my slow build for 2018,I am going to throw some AM at it such as brass guns, metal undercarriage, resin wheels and props, new seat harnesses, and Airscale instruments and placards and I’ll build it as an RAF example.

I’m going to build it along side my FLY 1/32 Hurricane....wish me luck and why don’t you come along for the ride...it’s going to be a long one.

Cheers all 

Iain.

• Like 4

Pulling up a chair as well for this one as well if you don't mind. But could we please address the elephant in the room first, and back the truck up slightly though my friend.  You forgotten you had purchased a 1/32 scale HK kit ??? Nice one, now that's the headline right there. he,he Great pic's so far btw cheers.     

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, neil5208 said:

Good luck, looks promising 

Hiya

Thanks I'm looking forward to it.

12 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Sounds good i think i’ll grab a seat in the back and take some notes. Just thought I’d mention there is a B-25 group build coming up in a few months, in case you didnt already know. This would probably be very welcome there.

Hiya

I wasn’t aware of the B25 group build - I’ll check that out when it starts.

12 hours ago, picard said:

Pulling up a chair as well for this one as well if you don't mind. But could we please address the elephant in the room first, and back the truck up slightly though my friend.  You forgotten you had purchased a 1/32 scale HK kit ??? Nice one, now that's the headline right there. he,he Great pic's so far btw cheers.     

Ha ha

Honestly I had forgotten I bought it all those years ago and I think when it arrived it’s size overwhelmed me a little bit but now I’m ready for the challenge.

cheers all

Iain

It sure is a big one, I only build in 1/32 scale these days but the size of a B25 in 1/32 stopped me buying one, but it will be interesting to watch the build.

Cheers

Dennis

1 hour ago, crustydude said:

comfy chair....check

popcorn....check

copious amounts of Jack Daniels....check

ok I'm sorted...carry on!!👍 

Sounds like your in for the long haul! I just hope I can do it justice. 

1 hour ago, spitfire said:

It sure is a big one, I only build in 1/32 scale these days but the size of a B25 in 1/32 stopped me buying one, but it will be interesting to watch the build.

Cheers

Dennis

That’s what she said....it is a big old kit that’s for sure, my plan for building it will be to do it in sub sections and I think I’ll start with the engines and wings. 

Cheers

Iain.

Hi everyone

Just a small update for you, I’ve made a start on the engines, well engine and I have to say that so far this kit is very impressive.

Normally I’d paint everything individually before construction but on this occasion I decided to build the motor almost completely before painting it and I have to say its been a fairly easy process. The only things that were left off were the pipework and I’m adding them individually and painting them as I go. I couldn’t decide what colour to paint the pipe work, should they be silver, black, brass or brown? In the end, just to add a splash of colour I went for brass and I think it looks ok. The fit of the parts is very good and the pipes don’t look too over scale (not that you will see much anayway!).

I’ve still some pipe work to add, touch up the paint work, add a couple of decals and weather it but here is where I am as of now.....

Created with Photo Editor- http://axiem.net/editorCreated with Photo Editor- http://axiem.net/editor

Please don’t look too closely as there are lots of little touch ups that I’ve just noticed.

I intend this build to take in excess of 12 months as I have other projects that I want to complete (such as my Hurricane) and I do intent to spend some money on it as I can’t see me building another after this.

As ever any comments are more than welcome.

All the best from Cornwall

Iain

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎07‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 1:54 AM, krow113 said:

Going well...

Those 'pipes are the high voltage leads to the spark plugs , most likely be grey...

Hiya

Yeah I had a bit of a problem with the colours of the HT leads I did some digging on the 'ole tinter web and found these (if there are copy right issues I will of course remove)..

4613833546_86fb75b26d_z619px-R-2600_engines_for_B-25s_Inglewood_1942

And they do indeed show the HT leads as being a silver/grey colour, however I also found this...

b_25j_mitchell_bomber_engine_by_shogunmaki-d5nr7sz

....which shows them in a bronze colour which is what I went with purely to give a little added colour to the motor, however if this is historically incorrect and the above picture is of a restored motor, I can and will change it to a more appropriate one. 

Let me know your thoughts?

Cheers

Iain

• Like 1

Your model, your rules.

I like the splash of colour and you have one photo to back you up - that's evidence in my book.

Will it be noticeable when it's all wrapped up in its cowling?

30 minutes ago, Gorby said:

Your model, your rules.

I like the splash of colour and you have one photo to back you up - that's evidence in my book.

Will it be noticeable when it's all wrapped up in its cowling?

You can actually see more than you might think and I agree in the 'you model your rules' idea, however as she is soooo big and the fact that I wont ever build another I am open to changing stuff to make it more historically correct.

Cheers bud

Iain

• Like 1

4 hours ago, krow113 said:

If you wanna make it even more real , get some fittings and braided line from a supplier and make your own , they are a braided steel hose , that you can see in the yellow pic.

I get the stuff for my bikes here:

http://www.rbmotion.com/index.php?route=common/home

IMG_0964.jpg

Good guy. He sponsored the trophy behind the bike.

Morning mate

I've seen that web site before and considered ordering some bits and pieces for a 1/24 Typhoon I have on the go, you might have just persuaded me to give it a try. Great looking bike by the way. 

See you later bud

Iain

• Like 1