Airfix 2018 range announcement due 10.00 09/01/2018

Stephen

27 minutes ago, SeaVenom said:

I was thinking of a 1/144th kit.   I think that could be feasible.

Definitely it would be feasible, though Airfix has said they aren't doing anymore 1/144 civil airliner kits. It would still be a big model even in that scale. Maybe Roden would consider it.

On 24/12/2017 at 2:34 PM, AlCZ said:

Hi - i wish all merry X-mas !

I hope for 1/24 Tempest Mk. V - engine is similar with Typhoon.... and it is a famous aircraft, now with new tool kits in 1/48 and 1/32 - so 1/24 is logic - and it is a popular subject worldwide.

Another popular subject (and never realised in this big scale) is - Me-262. Schwalbe is one from most popular WW II aircraft and in car scale isn´t in market.

Or - last Spitfire Mk. IX... Main version of Spitfire in mid-late period of WW II and after war... When Airfix made a C/E wing you have a plenty of colourful camouflage...and it is most popular version of Spitfire... (used with many nations...) and engine parts from it you can used in Mk. VIII and in new tool Mustang...

Don´t forget - Hornby have a problems and they must make a popular subject... no specialites for few modelers.... And Tempest, Schwalbe and Spit Mk. IX are very popular....

Or 1/48 heavy bombers... - all kits from Monogram and Tamiya on this theme are ancient and obsolete...

If your gonna chuck Me 262's in 1/24 - then there has to be a Meteor Mk1👌

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Radpoe Spitfire said:

It would be nice to see some more of the 1/72 scale newer toolings bought out in 1/48th - anyone for a non- CA Blenheim?

:hmmm:

erm...   ...like this one you mean?

3 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

I predict there’s will be a tin wing hurri announced as I’m almost certain to place and order for the alleycst conversion, and a lightning f3 as I’ll probably get both sets 

The tin-wing Hurricane and Lightning F3 conversions are sweet pieces of resin. Having said that, beware warping on the manta-ray mouthpart (you'll know what I mean when you see it) of the Hurricane tin wing and do yourself a favour by not cutting off the side casting stubs of the Lightning belly tank (but grind/sand the rear casting stub flat).

Hmm, Revell make a nice tornado kits - yup, are a twenty years old +-, but  mould was Made in Korea and have nice fine details... I think a little upgrade of moulds was be good. And Italeri prepare Gr.4 in 1/32, maybe later downscaled it ? It´ s ironic a twenty years old Tonka from Revell was better as three years old Gripen. Yupy yup.... (moulded in Poland)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Steve Coombs said:

The tin-wing Hurricane and Lightning F3 conversions are sweet pieces of resin. Having said that, beware warping on the manta-ray mouthpart (you'll know what I mean when you see it) of the Hurricane tin wing and do yourself a favour by not cutting off the side casting stubs of the Lightning belly tank (but grind/sand the rear casting stub flat).

Duly noted :)

On 12/26/2017 at 11:19 PM, VMA131Marine said:

Definitely it would be feasible, though Airfix has said they aren't doing anymore 1/144 civil airliner kits. It would still be a big model even in that scale. Maybe Roden would consider it.

Yes it would probably be some company like Roden.  Why Roden can bring out new airliners in 1/144th but Airfix can't I don't know though.

I would certainly be happy to see Airfix release in 1/48th scale a Supermarine Spitfire XIV 'hi back' as well as a Supermarine Spitfire XIV/XVIII 'low back' which would fill a gap in late War and immediate post-War RAF fighter types.

One option they may have is to fill the gap between their 1/72nd and 1/24th Hawker Typhoons, making good use of all their research and producing a 1/48th scale version - which would be appropriate given the project to get a Typhoon back in the air by the early 2020s.  Yes Hasegawa does make one already, but try and find one at a good price.  Plus Airfix could make to the same (or better) standard as their recent kits and at a lower price point and it would likely be a very good seller.  Options in underwing bombs and rockets, three or four bladed propeller, various radiator intake dust filters including the later tropical filter, Typhoon and Tempest tailplanes, car door and bubble top, so plenty of build options.

Then an accurate series of early Allison Mustangs, especially the Mark 1 which the RAF was the primary user and had for the one basic mark and set of airframes a comparatively long wartime service life, and I would be one happy modeller.

I am sure that whatever Airfix comes up with in their 2018 releases, I will see a couple of their trademark red boxes added to my stash with kits I will need to build.

• Like 2

On 26.12.2017 at 9:17 PM, VMA131Marine said:

The Brabazon has the same 230' wingspan as a B-36. This would be a kit costing £300+ at least.

Exactly some 290 punds, and such model exists (1/72)

https://www.emodels.co.uk/a-model-1-72-bristol-brabazon-02872-plastic-model-kit.html

I think we need Airfix Warwick. And Vickers Valentia. But none of those expected.

Cheers

J-W

On 26/12/2017 at 23:19, VMA131Marine said:

Airfix got out the 1/144 airliner market decades ago.

They don't appear overly keen in exploiting thier existing airliner back catalogue, let alone produce new kits. I for one one would not be surprised if they sold off thier airliner moulds sometime in the future.

Thomo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid

3 hours ago, JWM said:

I think we need Airfix Warwick. And Vickers Valentia. But none of those expected.

Cheers

J-W

You won't get either from Airfix as there are no extant examples nor makers engineering drawings.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

Airfix got out the 1/144 airliner market decades ago.

They don't appear overly keen in exploiting thier existing airliner back catalogue, let alone produce new kits. I for one one would not be surprised if they sold off thier airliner moulds sometime in the future.

Thomo.

Don't know if the moulds would actually be worth selling? They must be pretty much worn out by now and, there are far better kits available than the ancient Airfix items.I may be wrong but, I think the most "recent" airliner was the DC-9 and, that dates back to the 70s!! I personally won't lose any sleep over this. I quite like the occasional airliner but, there are enough out there from other companies to suit me. (Cue cries of "they don't make money for Airfix!).

There are doubtless good business reasons for the decision not to produce any 1/144 airliners. I don't think Airfix  are going to suffer from the lack thereof.

Allan

2 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

Don't know if the moulds would actually be worth selling? They must be pretty much worn out by now and, there are far better kits available than the ancient Airfix items.I may be wrong but, I think the most "recent" airliner was the DC-9 and, that dates back to the 70s!! I personally won't lose any sleep over this. I quite like the occasional airliner but, there are enough out there from other companies to suit me. (Cue cries of "they don't make money for Airfix!).

There are doubtless good business reasons for the decision not to produce any 1/144 airliners. I don't think Airfix  are going to suffer from the lack thereof.

Allan

I think the A300 and 1/144 Concorde (production version) are both more recent than the DC-9. All the kits are now at least 40 years old though.

2 hours ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

I believe it would be fair to say airliner kits, don't make money Airfix, period.

Thomo.

Then I think you have maybe answered your own earlier point. I think you are probably right actually

Allan

1 hour ago, VMA131Marine said:

I think the A300 and 1/144 Concorde (production version) are both more recent than the DC-9. All the kits are now at least 40 years old though.

I stand corrected. The DC-9 was 1973 . The A300 was released 1974 and, Concorde 1977:D.

Allan

5 hours ago, Denford said:

You won't get either from Airfix as there are no extant examples nor makers engineering drawings.

Yes, I know it therefore I wrote "they are not expected"...It is a pity, especially a lack of manufacture drawings...It was not 300 years ago!

Cheers

J-W

11 minutes ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

My late Grandfather bought me an Airfix Concorde in BOAC livery and he died in 1972, therefore it  was way before 1977.

Thomo.

The kit your grandfather bought you (and mine bought me) was based on the prototype airframes.  The 1977 kit appeared in early BA and Air France liveries and represented production-standard airframes.

11 minutes ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

My late Grandfather bought me an Airfix Concorde in BOAC livery and he died in 1972, therefore it  was way before 1977.

Thomo.

The Concorde in BOAC livery was the original short nosed prototype version released in 1967. It was also released (for the French market) in Air France markings. Airfix released a kit of the production version in 1977.

Allan

Well I noted after clicking the coming soon link in the email from Airfix. This:

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/shop/coming-soon/2018-airfix-catalogue.html

Note the blank cover, which to me implies something as yet unannounced is to feature. 

But What? I still think Sopwith Camel perhaps as part of an RAF 100th special issue. 

Does anyone have a contact in the printer Airfix uses for their catalogue?:think: